Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:23 pm

I use this portal a lot, and it seems like these issues come and go. A couple years ago, I routinely had issues with lots of vendors posting. Then it got better. Now it seems to be worse again.

I've been wondering if maybe it's the result of all these browser updates meant to stop cross-site tracking, and Cartiera and all the vendors need to make updates to work around. But who knows.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:08 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
I moved in November, and spent thousands at Lowe's, Home Depot and at other stores buying tools and outfitting my new place. Cartera didn't award even one single mile and cheated me out of promotional bonus miles as well. This morning I had to catch up with them and filed 18 claims (not including March's purchases).

Cartera was pretty good for a while, but this this a massive failboat. Apparently you have to watch them like a hawk to ensure your miles get credited, but who has time? Anyone else having problems with them lately?
They have really sucked, but they seem to be getting better. Now I get emails that the orders are being tracked, and the miles credited email in a week or 2. They also have a ton of problems and you do need to watch them to make sure you get everything. I made a purchase in Oct for an HP laptop that had a special of 5 miles/dollar. It didnt show up in the website history on the eshopping account, and sure enough didnt credit. I emailed and the response said they saw the purchase but that they needed authorization from the merchant to award points. I got stupid canned emails as responses to my status checks. Finally got the miles in March.

But all in all, they are improving. I still have been ripped off miles from them in the past.

I also make sure that the checkout is the first thing after going thru the portal. I set up the order and make sure the cart is set up, then go through the portal and complete the checkout.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:34 pm

I saw a great offer from The AA shopping portal (Cartera)...Since I had been cheated out of points in the past,I inquired as to what I should do to guarantee my points' Their answer was that it was not their responsibility to award the points. Unless you enjoy a long frustrating unproductive exchange of emails, I suggest you avoid doing business with them
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by amo66120
I saw a great offer from The AA shopping portal (Cartera)...Since I had been cheated out of points in the past,I inquired as to what I should do to guarantee my points' Their answer was that it was not their responsibility to award the points. Unless you enjoy a long frustrating unproductive exchange of emails, I suggest you avoid doing business with them
The same thing happened to me. I'm on the newsletter list, and they're still sending me these offers for extra points and promotional bonuses that are supposed to excite me to go shopping. Trouble is I've lost faith in the system and have little to no confidence left I'll ever get these points. The whole racket will fall apart if enough people feel this way.

What's a better alternative to the AA mall if you want miles?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As described in AA AAdvantage Shopping (via Cartera) Button Available for Desktop Now, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Are there any AAdvantage estores that accept non-USA based credit cards? I tried to make a FandangoNow purchase but it won't accept my non-USA issued credit card. I am trying to stop my miles expiring on the 10th of this month (I have the UK credit card and used it, but I don't think the statement is produced until the 10th...so the miles won't credit until the same day as my expiry date).

Following a redemption nearly 18 months ago I only have a few thousand miles left, so not worth paying too much to extend, but enough not to loose.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jbfield
Are there any AAdvantage estores that accept non-USA based credit cards? I tried to make a FandangoNow purchase but it won't accept my non-USA issued credit card. I am trying to stop my miles expiring on the 10th of this month (I have the UK credit card and used it, but I don't think the statement is produced until the 10th...so the miles won't credit until the same day as my expiry date).

Following a redemption nearly 18 months ago I only have a few thousand miles left, so not worth paying too much to extend, but enough not to loose.
Fandango has never worked for me with any card. I have no idea how they stay in business. There are several stores like this. Catera needs to boot them.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone tried to book hotel using the shopping portal? When is the credit date for hotel booking? When you book (say it's prepaid rate) or when you stay?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
After your stay, even on prepaid. Takes a week or two? I don't check it that closely.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by hw711
Anyone tried to book hotel using the shopping portal? When is the credit date for hotel booking? When you book (say it's prepaid rate) or when you stay?
Originally Posted by Steph58
After your stay, even on prepaid. Takes a week or two? I don't check it that closely.
I have had mixed results.

Booking.com has either been seamless to get posted, or an act of congress with the help desk. But it was a solid 3 weeks after the stay completed that it showed up.

DoubleTree usually takes 2-3 weeks. For example, booked a room 7/24 for 8/1 stay. Miles have not posted yet, but the transaction was recorded in my profile. That was a prepaid rate as well.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
k, thanks for the data.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:42 am

Quick question about the using the airline portals to generate miles from Magazines.com (currently 50 pts/$ on AA as well as UA)

Anyone have experience cancelling subscriptions right after 90 days? Terms indicate you'd get to keep all the points from the referring portal and youd' be refunded for all remaining issues, which seems to generous to be true. In other words, for a 2 year subscription of a monthly magazine, you'd be refunded at least 7/8 of your initial purchase (but likely higher since these magazines often take a few weeks to begin a subscription).

Just wondering if Cartera (or Magazines.com) has a history of taking back miles or blocking you from future portal usage if you do it too much? I'm sure this is YMMV but any data points would be helpful.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by ECR12
Quick question about the using the airline portals to generate miles from Magazines.com (currently 50 pts/$ on AA as well as UA)

Anyone have experience cancelling subscriptions right after 90 days? Terms indicate you'd get to keep all the points from the referring portal and youd' be refunded for all remaining issues, which seems to generous to be true. In other words, for a 2 year subscription of a monthly magazine, you'd be refunded at least 7/8 of your initial purchase (but likely higher since these magazines often take a few weeks to begin a subscription).

Just wondering if Cartera (or Magazines.com) has a history of taking back miles or blocking you from future portal usage if you do it too much? I'm sure this is YMMV but any data points would be helpful.
Cant speak to subscriptions, but claw back varies from store to store.

Example: Placed a home depot order for half a dozen items. Come to find out, 1 of the items was in inventory but they couldn't locate it. So I had them remove that single item from the order, and then complete it. Bought a replacement item in the same visit, but an separate instore transaction. The order initially posted in full, but about 3-4 weeks later they clawed back the points on the item that was removed.

Lowes on the other hand:
In the middle of a big renovation. Had 8+ online orders of $300 or more with dozens of items, spread out over 3-4 weeks. At the end of the project, maybe 45 days after the initial online order, returned items from various orders. Miles are still posted and have not been clawed back.

So, YMMV depending on the store.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:35 pm

Saw AAdvantage pop up for Marriott, 2miles/dollar.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Target is basically worthless if you check out the T&C! In addition to the standard "no gift cards, no other coupons", these exclusions apply:

Not eligible on grocery (including bakery, produce, deli, and liquor), flowers, baby care items (diapers, wipes, food, and toiletries), household commodities and essentials, pets, electronics, electronic services, computer software, automotive accessories, hardware, toys, sporting goods, fan central, books and magazines, digital entertainment, movies, music, video games and consoles, Apple products, contract mobile and non-contract mobile, imaging and office, Target Pharmacy and OTC, Target Photo (lab and nonlab), Target Optical, Target Café, SweetJOJO, Target Registry Programs (which include Baby, Wedding, and College Registry), and products listed under the "Target Company Store" section of Target.com.

I can't think what's left!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.