Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

American Airlines | AAdvantage

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 30, 22, 11:39 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rrgg
Wiki Link
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st.
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced.
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles.
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 27, 22, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Deleted-Duplicate

Last edited by TropicalTripper; Aug 27, 22 at 2:04 pm Reason: Deleted--Duplicate
Old Aug 27, 22, 11:51 am

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper View Post
I get that. I didn't mean I would ask AA to post the miles prematurely, but rather that I may go back to AA to seek the extra status bonus miles/LPs I would've earned on the flights after the AA shopping miles post, since they will post for a date prior to the flights. I doubt they'll do it, but I haven't seen any evidence that others have tried, so it's worth a shot to determine how they'd handle a request like this.
Ahh got it.

It would be interesting to see how this goes. Assuming the number of miles you would gain with the higher status isn't too much - if it is a lot, just buy a few more things and don't leave it to chance
Old Aug 27, 22, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Marriott Lifetime Gold
My Total Wine orders never track - which browser do you use? Chrome (with the extension!) and Firefox do not track Total Wine for me.

Originally Posted by mwood19004 View Post
I then placed 3 separate orders on Total Wine
Old Aug 27, 22, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by GVR Bill View Post
My Total Wine orders never track - which browser do you use? Chrome (with the extension!) and Firefox do not track Total Wine for me.
My orders there have all tracked using Chrome. There's a Privacy Notice pop-up that appears once directed to the Total Wine site that I always accept (related to cookies).

I've noticed this sort of message appears on many vendors websites. Can't remember which one it was, but there was a difference in whether an order would track based on if I accepted this message or not. If I did nothing, it would not end up tracking. So now I watch out for these types of prompts when using a shopping portal.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Aug 27, 22, 1:32 pm

If you qualify for one level of status in year 1, then year two starts with you having that status, and then in year 2, yo achieve a higher status do you immediately get the benefits in year 2 of the higher status. ?
Old Aug 27, 22, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
If you qualify for one level of status in year 1, then year two starts with you having that status, and then in year 2, yo achieve a higher status do you immediately get the benefits in year 2 of the higher status. ?
yes.

Caveat is that any reservation made before the higher status won't automatically reflect said higher status. You need to remove and re add the FF number or call AA and have them do it.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Aug 27, 22, 8:19 pm

Programs: American PP
Originally Posted by econ View Post
My orders there have all tracked using Chrome. There's a Privacy Notice pop-up that appears once directed to the Total Wine site that I always accept (related to cookies).

I've noticed this sort of message appears on many vendors websites. Can't remember which one it was, but there was a difference in whether an order would track based on if I accepted this message or not. If I did nothing, it would not end up tracking. So now I watch out for these types of prompts when using a shopping portal.
I also use Chrome and have the shopping button I still go to the eshopping website first and it will show my name as though I am logged in but if I go to Account and click on it I am taken to the login. I have gotten into the habit of just doing this to be certain. Then I find the Total Wine or other store on eshopping and click into the Total Wine site this way.
With this method I have never had an issue since doing this so not going to mess with trying another method.
All of my giftcard store and Total Wine purchased on Wednesday posted to my American Advantage account sometime between midnight and 5 AM today.
My app reflects PP but my boarding pass did not for my flight this morning. Was told by GA takes 72 hrs to hit the whole system.
Old Aug 27, 22, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by mwood19004 View Post
My app reflects PP but my boarding pass did not for my flight this morning. Was told by GA takes 72 hrs to hit the whole system.
You need to remove and re-add your AA FF number to the reservation or have AA do so. It won't automatically update.
Old Aug 27, 22, 9:10 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
After an inquiry my Gucci.com order posted. But it is for less than what was purchased.

Gonna send another inquiry.

LoL.43k LPs for buying things. Lololololol!

Old Aug 28, 22, 9:17 am

Programs: American PP
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
You need to remove and re-add your AA FF number to the reservation or have AA do so. It won't automatically update.
Thanks for this info! Just called and taken care of. Agent said return reservation reflects PP but she went ahead and removed/added back FF just to be certain.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 10:53 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA Plat, Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Another option is amazon gift card reloads. I toss the 10 odd remaining bucks on to my Amazon account where it just adds to the existing balance that I have there.

But yes, it does take some level of effort. I have a spreadsheet with the details, the outstanding balance and what I used them on
Can also add to Walmart Pay in the app and pay easily via the GC itself. Or buy a (reloadable) plastic Walmart branded GC with the GCC GC and then reload residual amounts that way.
The plastic WM GC can also be used to buy fuel at Murphy.
Its amazing the hoops Im now jumping through to secure these LPs!!
GVR Bill, majikTib and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 28, 22, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by Jja6782 View Post
Is there any consensus on what vendor will post the fastest? I only need 60 pts
Miles earned on Milesforopinion.com reliably post the next calendar day. Most surveys offer anywhere from 20-60 miles, and then 3 miles if you don't qualify. It would take you less than an hour to get 60 miles.
Old Aug 28, 22, 4:31 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper View Post
Miles earned on Milesforopinion.com reliably post the next calendar day. Most surveys offer anywhere from 20-60 miles, and then 3 miles if you don't qualify. It would take you less than an hour to get 60 miles.
I have subscribed for a couple of those miles for opinions sites over time, but I never qualified for a survey, so this is a highly unreliable route.
Old Aug 28, 22, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
I have subscribed for a couple of those miles for opinions sites over time, but I never qualified for a survey, so this is a highly unreliable route.
It’s pretty easy to figure out what answers they’re looking for in the screening questions and modify the replies to qualify.
”Are you looking to buy a new car?” Yeah, I’m gonna assume I should answer “yes” to qualify for that survey. 😉
355F1 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 22, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer View Post
Its pretty easy to figure out what answers theyre looking for in the screening questions and modify the replies to qualify.
Are you looking to buy a new car? Yeah, Im gonna assume I should answer yes to qualify for that survey. 😉
Agreed. Also, there are an almost unlimited number of surveys. If you don't qualify for one, you're usually immediately given another survey, I usually lose interest before I hit the end. You also earn 3 miles for surveys that you don't qualify for, which I realize is a pittance, but earning those 3 miles sometimes only takes you a few clicks, so if you get disqualified from a number of surveys you may be able to earn the same amount of miles you would've taken for getting a full survey for a comparable amount of time.

There is a scenario where the site won't show you any available surveys, but that's because you've effectively been locked out. That can happen if you use a VPN or if you are bouncing back and forth between survey sites associated with other airlines or E-Rewards. E-Rewards, Miles for Opinions, and the survey sites associated with United (milesforopinion.com), Alaska (theopinionterminal.com), and JetBlue (jetopinions.com). All of these sites are powered by the same survey company. I've been locked out of Milesforopinion.com twice and I emailed their customer support and got my access back within 72-hours. Note that you can also transfer miles to AA from E-Rewards, but those miles don't post as LPs.

Yesterday I earned 152 miles on milesforopinion and I only qualified for 2 surveys. I earned the rest of the miles by not qualifying. When I looked at my account this morning, the miles/LPs were there.

I realize this is OT, but may be useful to have this in the forum since it's a viable option for earning a small number of miles to hit a status level, something people resort to AAdvantage eShopping for.​​

Search this Thread