Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edsh
What's the dollar value of gift cards I should buy in a single transaction that will get processed without having to submit a support ticket? 2 cards @ $250 each? 3 cards @ $250 each?
For me, one at a time works without incident even if I do multiple per day.

I recently bought 2 in 1 transaction and while it tracked back to the site, it's still stuck
chrisny2 and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
Any idea how to actually get through to a person without having to input a 16 digit GC?
I've never actually called them. They called me once though. Ever since then everything has gone through (except one that my CC declined)
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Well, this is disappointing.

Had an order on Overstock.com back in May that never posted, and the result of the 'investigation' came back as follows:

" I am following up with you today regarding your order inquiry for Overstock.com.
The merchant has concluded the research on this transaction and has notified us that this order is not eligible for rewards.
Merchants pay commissions to us and we convert that commission into rewards that we credit to your account. The merchant has indicated that the commission for Order # ####### was payable to another party outside of our network.
How can this happen?
• Clicking on another shopping link to price compare, search for discounts/coupons, or a simple product search can result in a last click not being attributed to your account.
• Using discounts not offered on the shopping site, or discounts in mailers, or with credit card offers.
• Please check any other award/loyalty programs that you or your household members may belong to. It is possible that the commission could have been awarded to that account if that account was not properly logged out at the time of purchase, or cookies could still be active from that account at the time of purchase.
We appreciate your understanding regarding this matter."

I think this was supposed to be like 4,000 points, and not sure how one of the bullet points would have happened.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Well, this is disappointing.

Had an order on Overstock.com back in May that never posted, and the result of the 'investigation' came back as follows:

" I am following up with you today regarding your order inquiry for Overstock.com.
The merchant has concluded the research on this transaction and has notified us that this order is not eligible for rewards.
Merchants pay commissions to us and we convert that commission into rewards that we credit to your account. The merchant has indicated that the commission for Order # ####### was payable to another party outside of our network.
How can this happen?
• Clicking on another shopping link to price compare, search for discounts/coupons, or a simple product search can result in a last click not being attributed to your account.
• Using discounts not offered on the shopping site, or discounts in mailers, or with credit card offers.
• Please check any other award/loyalty programs that you or your household members may belong to. It is possible that the commission could have been awarded to that account if that account was not properly logged out at the time of purchase, or cookies could still be active from that account at the time of purchase.
We appreciate your understanding regarding this matter."

I think this was supposed to be like 4,000 points, and not sure how one of the bullet points would have happened.
Others have been successful fighting these.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I’ve uninstalled adblocker for the browser (MS Edge) because I read that could block tracking but I’m still not receiving any LP or miles. I don’t get any emails from AAdvantageshopping even though the green checkmark is on the button when I check out of the store.

None of my transactions show up on the portal. I’ve tried using safari today too, and nothing. Any ideas on how to fix?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by chenalex
I’ve uninstalled adblocker for the browser (MS Edge) because I read that could block tracking but I’m still not receiving any LP or miles. I don’t get any emails from AAdvantageshopping even though the green checkmark is on the button when I check out of the store.

None of my transactions show up on the portal. I’ve tried using safari today too, and nothing. Any ideas on how to fix?
I can't advise on past transactions except to stomp and scream and hold your breath until your face is blue.

However for future transactions, there is a browser extension you can install that will detect when a website offers miles. Be sure to press that before shopping. I've had that work also on Walmart and Sam's Club, places I shop rarely but sometimes and that I'd never have thought as a source of miles/LP's.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:34 am

Browser extension here. There's also a small chance anti-virus software will block tracking, but in that case you'd probably notice immediately because the store page might not load at all.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by redtop43
Are your orders going through and being cancelled, or being declined before they proceed? Sometimes if orders go through and are then cancelled, you will get LP's for them anyway.
Interestingly enough, you are correct. Just had my 5 cancelled orders post to my aa account this morning. I'm sure the RMs will be clawed back but happy to keep the LPs!
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AirricK11
Any idea how to actually get through to a person without having to input a 16 digit GC?
I had a similar issue yesterday with fraud protection immediately canceling my Gift Cards orders. There was no phone prompt that I could find for dial in support. I used the online form under "Contact Us" to submit the issue / complaint. They replied today that the case is resolved. I am able to make purchases once again.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by edsh
I had a similar issue yesterday with fraud protection immediately canceling my Gift Cards orders. There was no phone prompt that I could find for dial in support. I used the online form under "Contact Us" to submit the issue / complaint. They replied today that the case is resolved. I am able to make purchases once again.
That's interesting. I also emailed them but got this reply

We would like to inform you that your order was canceled. Our top priority is the satisfaction and security of our customers, this is why we kindly ask you to consider the following:
Like other companies, GiftCards.com is unable to share any details of its fraud screening approach with any customers who have had their orders rejected. We understand it is frustrating that the reason for the security flag cannot be disclosed, however; no one other than our compliance department has access to your personal information. While we are comfortable with the accuracy of our process, we realize that no screening process is perfect, and sometimes good people may be impacted.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Lawyers of flyertalk, winc wine has a offer right now for 1500 LPs for $25. It doesn’t have any of the language about only 1 valid for Loyalty number (all it says is valid for new subscriptions not existing) can I purchase as many as I want and get EXP for $3300?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bakrgby
Lawyers of flyertalk, winc wine has a offer right now for 1500 LPs for $25. It doesn’t have any of the language about only 1 valid for Loyalty number (all it says is valid for new subscriptions not existing) can I purchase as many as I want and get EXP for $3300?
You can certainly try. It might just post automatically... or it might not.

How far are you willing to go? You file a ticket and don't get your miles... then what? Will you complain to AA? File a complaint with your state AG? File a suit in SCC?

Is the risk worth it to you?
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You can certainly try. It might just post automatically... or it might not.

How far are you willing to go? You file a ticket and don't get your miles... then what? Will you complain to AA? File a complaint with your state AG? File a suit in SCC?

Is the risk worth it to you?
Based on reports someone else utilized this twice and it posted both times, I am more worried if I do this 130 times AA will come and claw back the miles. I was looking for advice from people who read TaCs all the time and if im missing anything- here are the full terms "Please note these terms & conditions: Eligible on new subscription only. Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents. Purchases made with a gift card may be ineligible."
Old Jul 15, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on reports someone else utilized this twice and it posted both times, I am more worried if I do this 130 times AA will come and claw back the miles. I was looking for advice from people who read TaCs all the time and if im missing anything- here are the full terms "Please note these terms & conditions: Eligible on new subscription only. Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents. Purchases made with a gift card may be ineligible."
AA doesn't care.

If the merchant pays Cartera, Cartera will pay AA and you will get your miles.

If there's a clawback, it will be the merchant refusing to pay Cartera (possibly when they do an audit at the end of the month or quarter or whatever). Cartera will then not pay AA (or make a negative adjustment if they already paid) and AA will deduct the miles from your account.

This happened to me once (it was a correction in their part -- they gave me too many miles initially). I actually kept my LP, but that's clearly a glitch and will presumably be fixed eventually.

The only right answer here is that nobody knows what will happen.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
From what I briefly saw it looks like it will be only 1500 LPs once. I didn't see any evidence suggesting you will get more than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.