Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by kimbray
Regarding the pay the $5.95, when you think about it, the rewards on a credit card most likely get you most/all of the way there (mine is a BA Plat that gets me $6.72 back on $255.95 spend) .... so TOTALLY worth it for going after AA status.
Well... sort of. In the vast majority of cases, I am going to spend the gift card on something I would have charged anyway, so I was already going to earn the $6.72 either way.

I've been looking for more places where I can use the virtual GC on things that don't take credit cards, in which case the $6.72 is truly incremental. I have not found many except for my car insurance. Would welcome any ideas from others who have solutions here.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by kimbray
Clawbacks have started today on cancelled transactions that showed up in AA shopping portal as true transactions. .
This is indeed happening, still unclear if it includes LPs as well.

No offers but clawbacks, happy 4th of july weekend...

Last edited by nk15; Jul 1, 2022 at 10:25 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
So it is a fresh month for giftcards.com. Unfortunately (as noted upthread) the regular "Visa" option with no fee and 1% rewards is gone, and there are no promos for Virtual Visa. What is the consensus - just suck it up and pay the $5.95 fee? Or hold out hope for a promo? I would do the latter, but worry about the 3x miles offer reverting to 1x at some point.
My opinion continues to be that 750 miles for $6 is a great deal. So I have no problem paying the fee. The LPs are a nice bonus as well (to put it mildly)

I buy the cards as I need them (I don't "stock up") so whether there's a better offer later doesn't really matter.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My opinion continues to be that 750 miles for $6 is a great deal. So I have no problem paying the fee. The LPs are a nice bonus as well (to put it mildly)

I buy the cards as I need them (I don't "stock up") so whether there's a better offer later doesn't really matter.
Totally agree that 750 miles for $6 is a great deal. But 750 miles for negative $6 was even better

So far I've been able to find spendthrough use for the full $2k/month eventually, so I am trying to make sure I max out each month, which at times means stocking up a bit. Would be nice to have a crystal ball to know when promos will be, but I guess I can't complain.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Totally agree that 750 miles for $6 is a great deal. But 750 miles for negative $6 was even better

So far I've been able to find spendthrough use for the full $2k/month eventually, so I am trying to make sure I max out each month, which at times means stocking up a bit. Would be nice to have a crystal ball to know when promos will be, but I guess I can't complain.
I just buy the cards as I need them, one at a time. Most months I've gone over $2k (and a lot over in a few months where I had some large one-time bills) and I've gotten miles for everything. I still have some outstanding tickets for large multi-card orders I made back in March, but since I've moved to 1 at a time everything has posted automatically, usually within 2 days (occasionally 3-5 days), with no regard for a $2k limit.

Also if I need to buy more than 1 in a day I buy each one on a different CC. I've noticed that if I use my Citi AA card they will decline a 2nd purchase in a day and I don't want to push my luck with Chase or Amex. I do have a 1% CB "throwaway" card from a local bank that I'm willing to push my luck with if I need to buy several in a day (that's why I got the card)
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: AA, AI-FR, ClubVistara, KrisFlyer, EK, InterMiles
I just buy the cards as I need them, one at a time. Most months I've gone over $2k (and a lot over in a few months where I had some large one-time bills) and I've gotten miles for everything. I still have some outstanding tickets for large multi-card orders I made back in March, but since I've moved to 1 at a time everything has posted automatically, usually within 2 days (occasionally 3-5 days), with no regard for a $2k limit.

Also if I need to buy more than 1 in a day I buy each one on a different CC. I've noticed that if I use my Citi AA card they will decline a 2nd purchase in a day and I don't want to push my luck with Chase or Amex. I do have a 1% CB "throwaway" card from a local bank that I'm willing to push my luck with if I need to buy several in a day (that's why I got the card)
For someone who isn't exactly chasing status but still feels 3m/$ is good, what are the most rewarding CC to make these GC purchases with?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuraBoy
For someone who isn't exactly chasing status but still feels 3m/$ is good, what are the most rewarding CC to make these GC purchases with?
The same card as you would use for anything else that doesn't get a bonus.

But, again, if you buy a lot you may want to spread it between cards. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid.
SuraBoy likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The same card as you would use for anything else that doesn't get a bonus.

But, again, if you buy a lot you may want to spread it between cards. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid.
Chase blocks you around the 4th gift card on the same card on the same day (although you still get the points, but now possible being clawed back). But I agree it is better to spread them between not just different cards, but card issuers, too. 2 chase, 2 boa, 2 amex, and 2 citi.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:45 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Sorry if this has been covered...

Question about the giftcards.com play; Can I buy a gift card to a store i know i need to make a purchase from, then use that gift card to pay going through the shopping portal?
3x on the gift card purchase PLUS Xx on the purchase at the store through the portal using said gift card.

I notice in the terms for may stores is the following: "purchases made with a gift card may be ineligible."
what would make a purchase made with a gift card ineligible? No terms explain this. Or is this a catchall for them?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DreAAmliner

Question about the giftcards.com play; Can I buy a gift card to a store i know i need to make a purchase from, then use that gift card to pay going through the shopping portal?
3x on the gift card purchase PLUS Xx on the purchase at the store through the portal using said gift card.

I notice in the terms for may stores is the following: "purchases made with a gift card may be ineligible."
what would make a purchase made with a gift card ineligible? No terms explain this. Or is this a catchall for them?
It depends on whether the merchant wants to give credit for purchases made with a gift card.

Usually this works fine but I've had issues with it before. It's a good idea to test with a small purchase if it's important to you (though it's possible that you get different results with big and small purchases).

Cartera pays you if and when they get paid. They can't tell you for sure in the terms because they don't know if the merchant will pay or not. If their agreement allows the merchant not to pay, but they pay anyway, then Cartera will pay you. So the terms are accurate... you may not get miles. Or you may.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum

I can report it works at Lowes
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roadtriper
It also worked for me at Tire Rack.

It will probably with at least 90% of stores. But occasionally there may be an issue. It didn't work for me at GameStop once.

It's also possible that smaller purchases will post automatically but larger ones will get audited, and that could be a reason that the audit fails.

One thing that I've learned is that there is not a lot of consistency here.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum

Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

USA Today is now 500 miles and looks like it has an eligible offer for $1 for the first 6 months (valid until the 6th, but the extra miles may go away after today).
AirricK11 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

How do you typically use them? A lot of online portals don't allow multi card transactions - is there a way to lump them together?

My 2 GCs so far have been used on various purchases and the remainder (<50) got loaded to Amazon to zero the card out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.