Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Samw with Byte. It's a pretty good sign that you don't want to do business with that company. I just blocked the Byte sales person's number and marked her email as spam, so she's talking to a black hole now.
That's interesting you had this experience with Byte. After I sent my impression kit in, turns out my bottom teeth are too messed up for them to fix, but they offered to send me 9 aligners to fix my uppers. Once I found out that was the case, I cancelled my one on one call with my sales person and never heard from her again. 🤷‍♂️
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
That's interesting you had this experience with Byte. After I sent my impression kit in, turns out my bottom teeth are too messed up for them to fix, but they offered to send me 9 aligners to fix my uppers. Once I found out that was the case, I cancelled my one on one call with my sales person and never heard from her again. 🤷‍♂️
When I ordered from byte I indicated that it was not ok to text me about my order. The sales person texted me anyway. I told her to stop texting me. Then at the kit arrived she set up a UPS pickup to pick up my impression kit the next day, without my permission, and texted me about it. I cancelled the pickup, told her that I didn't appreciate the high pressure sales ........, told her to stop contacting me altogether, blocked her number, and marked her email as spam. The other day I looked at my spam folder to see if an email I was expecting ended up there, and saw that she has been continuing to email me. I have no idea if she has been texting and/or calling too, as those are just blocked.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by AirricK11
How long did it take you to send in the impression kit? They were hounding me from the second mine was delivered to get it completed and sent in. I had to tell them three times that I was out of town and wouldn't even be able to open it for a week at the earliest. They 100% pressured and annoyed me out of a full sale (or, at least, an impression estimate).
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsomber88
How long did it take you to send in the impression kit? They were hounding me from the second mine was delivered to get it completed and sent in. I had to tell them three times that I was out of town and wouldn't even be able to open it for a week at the earliest. They 100% pressured and annoyed me out of a full sale (or, at least, an impression estimate).
I never sent it back. Once I saw how they did business I knew I wouldn't be going any further with them
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5-Star
When I ordered from byte I indicated that it was not ok to text me about my order. The sales person texted me anyway. I told her to stop texting me. Then at the kit arrived she set up a UPS pickup to pick up my impression kit the next day, without my permission, and texted me about it. I cancelled the pickup, told her that I didn't appreciate the high pressure sales ........, told her to stop contacting me altogether, blocked her number, and marked her email as spam. The other day I looked at my spam folder to see if an email I was expecting ended up there, and saw that she has been continuing to email me. I have no idea if she has been texting and/or calling too, as those are just blocked.
Luckily I never gave them my phone number. All their constant hounding has been via email. They did the same pickup request with me. Cancelled the pick up order as well. Multiple attempts at unsubscribing didn't make the emails stop. The only way I found to have them stop was to edit my profile and change my email to a fake one. Not sure if they are still emailing that address not. Definitely won't be sending the kit back as I don't want to do business with a company like this. I did get the miles though.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: Delta, USAir, Marriott, SPG, AmEx
Wall St Jounral up to 1200 points for signing up for a month my month subscription. Anyone know if you can cancel online?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
A blast from the past!!

I am glad to follow up with your case today.

Allow me to inform you that 6,200 miles were credited to your account for the AT&T Wireless order #23-695304729488217.

Please allow up to 3-5 business days for this to post to your shopping account. Keep in mind that it can take an additional 3-5 days for the reward to transfer from your shopping account to your airline account. Some exclusions do apply.
It took 5 months but it was worth it. Cost was $5. I still have another ticket pending.

Samw with Byte. It's a pretty good sign that you don't want to do business with that company. I just blocked the Byte sales person's number and marked her email as spam, so she's talking to a black hole now.
Except for the fact that Byte took forever to credit, I have no complaints. I got 9300 miles for $220. No phone calls or texts. To be clear, that was from SimplyMiles and not Cartera.

Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip
Wall St Jounral up to 1200 points for signing up for a month my month subscription. Anyone know if you can cancel online?
You cannot cancel WSJ online. You have to call.
BigMoneyGrip likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
We should be getting some extra miles offers tomorrow, Friday, start of the long and important weekend, right?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by vasantn
It took 5 months but it was worth it. Cost was $5. I still have another ticket pending.

Except for the fact that Byte took forever to credit, I have no complaints. I got 9300 miles for $220. No phone calls or texts. To be clear, that was from SimplyMiles and not Cartera.

You cannot cancel WSJ online. You have to call.
What was the AT&T order?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by LittleBird
What was the AT&T order?
It was a promo for a prepaid line. Long gone.
LittleBird likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The 2,000 bonus miles from May promo posted, but fortunately as 0 LP. I’m assuming the same will happen for the recent 500 mile promo.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armus
The 2,000 bonus miles from May promo posted, but fortunately as 0 LP. I’m assuming the same will happen for the recent 500 mile promo.
Yes, they are bonus miles
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
So it is a fresh month for giftcards.com. Unfortunately (as noted upthread) the regular "Visa" option with no fee and 1% rewards is gone, and there are no promos for Virtual Visa. What is the consensus - just suck it up and pay the $5.95 fee? Or hold out hope for a promo? I would do the latter, but worry about the 3x miles offer reverting to 1x at some point.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Havek
Luckily I never gave them my phone number. All their constant hounding has been via email. They did the same pickup request with me. Cancelled the pick up order as well. Multiple attempts at unsubscribing didn't make the emails stop. The only way I found to have them stop was to edit my profile and change my email to a fake one. Not sure if they are still emailing that address not. Definitely won't be sending the kit back as I don't want to do business with a company like this. I did get the miles though.
Signed up with fake number, fake name, Address was a shopping mall and a catchall email that is now forwarded to the trash lol
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
So it is a fresh month for giftcards.com. Unfortunately (as noted upthread) the regular "Visa" option with no fee and 1% rewards is gone, and there are no promos for Virtual Visa. What is the consensus - just suck it up and pay the $5.95 fee? Or hold out hope for a promo? I would do the latter, but worry about the 3x miles offer reverting to 1x at some point.
Giftcards.cam has been frustrating. I get a lot of cancelled transactions from their security algorithm. Clawbacks have started today on cancelled transactions that showed up in AA shopping portal as true transactions. The super frustrating part was ALL of the trasactions I tried to do when the site was offering 4X were cancelled (even though I wanted and used a CC on file). Now on 7/1, I did a $250 transaction and it went thru! So back at it for $2K/month...BUT looking to see if July 4th brings anything interesting!

Regarding the pay the $5.95, when you think about it, the rewards on a credit card most likely get you most/all of the way there (mine is a BA Plat that gets me $6.72 back on $255.95 spend) .... so TOTALLY worth it for going after AA status.
nk15 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.