Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:51 am

Does anyone know if physical gift card from Saks.com still post miles?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by parioneti
Does anyone know if physical gift card from Saks.com still post miles?
I hope so. I just bought $1000 worth. It would give me 14k AA for the purchase, 3500 AA for spending $1000, and $50 x2 cash back for using Discover It quarterly bonus. My total haul would be 17.5k AA AND $100. I would value all that at $400. My wife uses these for LV purses in store, or double dip for certain shoes.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I hope so. I just bought $1000 worth. It would give me 14k AA for the purchase, 3500 AA for spending $1000, and $50 x2 cash back for using Discover It quarterly bonus. My total haul would be 17.5k AA AND $100. I would value all that at $400. My wife uses these for LV purses in store, or double dip for certain shoes.
Did your order go through? Mine just got cancelled.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:10 am

Yeah, Mine went through. But I have a history of buying these over be last 7-8 months. I've purchased about $5-6k during that time, and gotten miles from AA, UA and cash back from Discover every time.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Yeah, Mine went through. But I have a history of buying these over be last 7-8 months. I've purchased about $5-6k during that time, and gotten miles from AA, UA and cash back from Discover every time.
Thanks for the reply.
Could you please update us whether the points get posted or not?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by parioneti
Did your order go through? Mine just got cancelled.
Your Saks order got cancelled? Why?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:05 pm

I normally use Chrome, but for some silly reason, I used IE 2 weeks ago to buy $1000 in Saks gift cards. The transaction went through without a hitch, but I still haven't gotten my 14K (14x) miles. I've done about 8 total gift card purchases at Saks over the past year, and every single one of them posted miles in 1 week-- except the last one from last winter, which posted in 4 weeks. I don't know if this is their new trend (4 weeks instead of 1), or if they are cracking down on gift card purchases.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:51 am

AAdvantage eShopping Miles for Nordstrom

I have an ethical dilemma involving 2,400 miles and hope that someone can help me.

I recently used the AAdvantage eShopping portal to make a ~$600 (plus tax) purchase at Nordstrom. I decided to use the in-store pickup option.

Since Nordstrom associates don't get commission with online purchases, I was surprised that the associate was so cheerful in helping me get the order from the back. It wasn't until I got home that I saw the extra receipt in my bag where he had returned the online purchase and then "exchanged" it for the identical item under his name. All without my permission.

I have empathy that he is trying to make a living. I've worked in retail jobs and I certainly don't want to get him in trouble. The problem is that he effectively took my miles out from under me, because exchanges made in-store will reverse the miles earned. These are miles that I was very purposeful about. 2,400 miles is about as much as I earn when travelling on a 5-hour flight across the USA, and it's nearly 10% of the miles needed toward my next domestic award ticket.

So what would you do? Just forget about the miles? Or talk to Nordstrom about this?

(As a side note, there are plenty of great employees at Nordstrom who deserve commission for the service they provide, including their time and advice. If this money were to go to someone, I would've preferred it be earned by an associate who was more helpful to me...)

Last edited by flyineric; Aug 8, 2015 at 2:56 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:57 am

For me, the decision would be easy. He was being sneaky and should be reported. If I weren't going to get portal points anyway, I would let it go. But 2400 is a good number of points.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by flyineric
So what would you do? Just forget about the miles? Or talk to Nordstrom about this?
I used to steal from two different jobs in a similar way (Pizza and fast food jobs so not quite as upscale). What I did was wrong but found once I started the money was too easy to stop. This was over 20 years ago and I still feel bad about what I did. If I was caught I would have had a chance to make some better decisions in my life.

I would contact Nordstrom about it.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have an ethical dilemma involving 2,400 miles and hope that someone can help me.

I recently used the AAdvantage eShopping portal to make a ~$600 (plus tax) purchase at Nordstrom. I decided to use the in-store pickup option.

Since Nordstrom associates don't get commission with online purchases, I was surprised that the associate was so cheerful in helping me get the order from the back. It wasn't until I got home that I saw the extra receipt in my bag where he had returned the online purchase and then "exchanged" it for the identical item under his name. All without my permission.

I have empathy that he is trying to make a living. I've worked in retail jobs and I certainly don't want to get him in trouble. The problem is that he effectively took my miles out from under me, because exchanges made in-store will reverse the miles earned. These are miles that I was very purposeful about. 2,400 miles is about as much as I earn when travelling on a 5-hour flight across the USA, and it's nearly 10% of the miles needed toward my next domestic award ticket.

(As a side note, there are plenty of great employees at Nordstrom who deserve commission for the service they provide, including their time and advice. If this money were to go to someone, I would've preferred it be earned by an associate who was more helpful to me...)
What he did was totally unethical and since you have the receipt with what he did I would call Nordstrom's customer service and write to aadvantage eshopping and inform them both about what he did. You earned these points and he needs to be reprimanded. This is not the way to make a living on the back of someone else.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:27 pm

Agreed, you were cheated here. But in the guy's defense, he probably had no idea you used a portal.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
I'd be really irritated and I would definitely report it to Nordstrom. I'd be surprised if they have a way to give you the miles back for the purchase. It seems like that since the old transaction was already refunded there wouldn't be a way to re-instate it. I imagine the link between Cartera and merchants being clunky, but if any merchant can fix this, it would be Nordstrom, since they are so well known for their customer service. They might try to compensate you in some other manner, such as a store credit. You might want to have in mind a minimum amount you'd accept in store credit if you go this route. If you use a 1.7cpm valuation for AAdvantage miles your looking at $40.80. It wouldn't help to have that number under your hat for whoever helps you, since most people don't know how to value a mile and don't understand what you're losing.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:23 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Welcome to FT, flyineric.

I hate to say it but the path of least resistance is to return your items for a refund and repurchase, awaiting another bonus if need be.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriot Silver
Saks.com points reversal

I recently purchased a purse for my GF through the Saks.com portal. The product came and was not what it looked like in the pictures. After speaking with saks reps on the phone who agreed that it was not the same they said we can exchange it in store. While at the store she exchanged it for what she wanted. The manager and sales reps stated that we would still keep our portal points. Well a few days later it was reversed. How do I remedy this. It was over 29k worth of points and one of the deciding factor I purchasing from saks.com was that I would earn more points than at Neiman Marcus or Other stores. I'm really upset because that is a large amount of points. Thanks for any help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.