Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
Following up from my prior issue. Laithwaites is really dragging their feet or just dropped the ball completely. Purchased on 3/17 for the 3000LP bonus. Nothing posted, so on 3/31, opened a case with AA. Here we are now nearly 2.5 months since opening case and nearly 3 months since purchase with no resolution. AA shopping CS has replied to me (when I inquire) that they are still waiting for and contacting merchant, noting that they see how long this has gone and "will escalate". At what point will - if at all - AA just give the credit, or will they perpetually wait for Laithwaites to confirm/deny the bonus?

I've had no problems with any other shopping portal purchases or aa hotel/rocketmile postings.
This is basically the same exact scenario/timeline I've had with WSJWines, 3k LP too.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lawly
This is basically the same exact scenario/timeline I've had with WSJWines, 3k LP too.
Hoping I don't have this same issue with Bright Cellars. Purchased 10 days ago and nothing has posted. Already submitted an inquiry but they told me to wait 5 days until they will be able to look into it.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
Agreed. Going to be a big pain offloading these if I can't bring them over to Google pay.
I just emailed the developer email address from the app ([email protected]).

I figure that there's about a 99% chance that I'll get an irrelevant canned reply from someone who didn't read the email but it was worth a shot.
njvandy likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
A couple of GiftCards.com questions-
1) I just purchased a Virtual Visa for $100+$5.95 fee. minus 5% off using MEMORIALDAYVISA. It said it was tracking for 3x. I sent this to my girlfriend. She had to create a virtual visa account to redeem it... Is this normal?
2) Is there a better/cheaper way to do this?
3) Should I sign up for Giftcards.com account? Is there some sort of sign up bonus/benefits? (I thought I read about a 2K bonus about 20 pages back).
4) Should the giftcards be in my own name/email address? (It seems like if I am planning on using a giftcard somewhere it would need to be in my name...). Is there a recommended practice here?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:27 pm

Also, which Motley Fool product is recommended?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
1) I just purchased a Virtual Visa for $100+$5.95 fee. minus 5% off using MEMORIALDAYVISA. It said it was tracking for 3x. I sent this to my girlfriend. She had to create a virtual visa account to redeem it... Is this normal?
3) Should I sign up for Giftcards.com account? Is there some sort of sign up bonus/benefits? (I thought I read about a 2K bonus about 20 pages back).
4) Should the giftcards be in my own name/email address? (It seems like if I am planning on using a giftcard somewhere it would need to be in my name...). Is there a recommended practice here?

Thanks!
1) Yes, an account must be created for every virtual visa gift card. Adding a name/address is necessary for merchants to process the payment
2) Not that I know of. With codes, you can sometimes get virtual visa accounts at face value or a discount, both of which are bonus value since you get the LPs for purchasing it, assuming you use it to pay for something that wouldn't earn you better credit card rewards outright. There was a code that let you get them at a discount, even with the fee on top of it, but that is no longer available.
3) For for virtual visa accounts, there is probably not a benefit for having a giftcards.com account besides having a convenient order history to view. However, if you purchase any other merchant gift cards, they give you 1% back in store credit for each. I'm not sure about the 2K part, but anecdotally from reading this thread, it sounds like you can only get LP credit for up to $2000 worth of purchases here per month. Hopefully someone else can clarify this.
4) I haven't done that many, but I've always just put them in my name for ease of use.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

Thanks!
In most cases where you use a Visa online (not by phone) you have to have an address assigned to the card. I think BHN just has you attach the user information automatically when you claim the card. It's no big deal.

It's not clear exactly what you're trying to accomplish. I've bought and redeemed a lot of GC's in my own name. The only time I purcahsed it in someone else's name was when I actually wanted to give money to a friend.

The giftcards.com account and the registration of the card by the recipient are totally different things.

So far, I have used my virtual GC's to pay my health insurance bill and I've only had to give the card number and expiration date - no name, address, or CVC code. It's probably different if you want to use them on Amazon or AA.com or something like that.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Also, which Motley Fool product is recommended?
I don't find any of it actually useful. Just pick one that gets you the points. There's some interesting metrics but the stock picking advice is pretty meh. They make it easy to cancel and unsubscribe to the emails at least. I got my points pretty much right away. I know others have had issues with them though.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: Frontier 100k, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by murphy
My Simplymiles Uber one isn’t posting either. SM is pretty slow in general, and difficult to track, but I think I’ll need to open a case with them for this one,
Purchased Uber One on 4/13, finally received the simplymiles today on 6/8. Opened a ticket on 5/9
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:35 am

As another data point, I got this response from Customer Service:
Spoiler

Which contradicts everything and makes no sense at all. I am still expecting to receive the points, I made the purchase on the 19th. We'll see
Any update on this (apologies if I missed it above)? I signed up for D+ but may cancel prior to the trial period and sign up again to hope that there is no free trial (and it does say a new paid sub, so as long as I don't make a payment, I'm hoping that would be fine).
Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:53 am

3) For for virtual visa accounts, there is probably not a benefit for having a giftcards.com account besides having a convenient order history to view. However, if you purchase any other merchant gift cards, they give you 1% back in store credit for each. I'm not sure about the 2K part, but anecdotally from reading this thread, it sounds like you can only get LP credit for up to $2000 worth of purchases here per month. Hopefully someone else can clarify this.
So if I purchase a $100 gas card for Mobile/Exxon, in order to get the %1 I would need to create an account?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't find any of it actually useful. Just pick one that gets you the points. There's some interesting metrics but the stock picking advice is pretty meh. They make it easy to cancel and unsubscribe to the emails at least. I got my points pretty much right away. I know others have had issues with them though.
I can't even get the site to load. No matter the browser or extensions I turn off, it just spins when it tries to redirect me to their website.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:41 am

So if I purchase a $100 gas card for Mobile/Exxon, in order to get the %1 I would need to create an account?
Yes. giftcards.com/rewards
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA platinum
Is it just me or is the non-virtual Visa giftcard no longer available? I just ordered a virtual visa with the discount code but I hope a code not on the portal isn't something inviting clawback. I wonder if non-virtual was removed because of the problem with Google Pay? Also noticed a Safeway card listed among the cards under Brands, but it said "no longer available" when I clicked.

Tire Rack, which I've used for many years, is 4x today instead of 3x in case you need tires shipped to you or an installer. If you own a Corvette, a new set of tires could get you EXP.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Imarmed
Is it just me or is the non-virtual Visa giftcard no longer available?
Yeah they are gone, and the "reorder" link is gone from last orders in your account history.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.