Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I had major issues my first cycle of GC purchases because of ......., which I didn't even go out of my way to install, Dell tech support installed it. I've now disabled it, but I also have a button for AA shopping that I make sure to activate every time I buy GC's. No problems so far since I disabled ........
Old May 16, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by nk15
The 1% credit is available after the previous purchase is complete, and can be used in the subsequent purchase (shows as an option at checkout). This assumes you have registered and logged into your account when checking out and have opted in for the reward program. So if you did not see and included the 1% credit discount at checkout, then you did not use it in that purchase (can still be used later).
I have found that they award miles/LPs based on the pre-discounted amount anyway. So my purchases of $250 GCs for $247.52 are still earning 750 miles.
armus and nk15 like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Has anyone had any luck adding one of the Visa cards to Apple Pay? I've registered the card, tried adding it directly into Wallet and also via their app, and it fails. Their customer support is terrible and not helpful in this matter.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Has anyone had any luck adding one of the Visa cards to Apple Pay? I've registered the card, tried adding it directly into Wallet and also via their app, and it fails. Their customer support is terrible and not helpful in this matter.
No one has reported success here, unfortunately.

It works fine with Google pay. It may be worth buying a (very) cheap throwaway android phone for this purpose alone if you plan on putting a fair amount of in-person spend through these cards. You wouldn't even need a mobile service plan; you could just tether to your real phone.
Old May 16, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
No one has reported success here, unfortunately.

It works fine with Google pay. It may be worth buying a (very) cheap throwaway android phone for this purpose alone if you plan on putting a fair amount of in-person spend through these cards. You wouldn't even need a mobile service plan; you could just tether to your real phone.
Yeah, I was considering doing just that...

I have an escalation case with them to try to figure out why Apple Wallet isn't working, but I'm not counting on it getting resolved...
Mr. BoH and jamabam like this.
Old May 16, 2022, 6:24 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ymx
i just realized I had also activated the motley fool offer on SimplyMiles prior to purchasing through AAdvantageeshopping. Should I assume they will disallow this, cancel the subscription and purchase again with a card that’s not linked in SimplyMiles?

How do you know if they’ve disallowed it?
Well the SimplyMiles promo just came through that I hadn’t realize I’d activated. Given this should I assume that they won’t honor the AAdvantage Shopping promo unless I cancel and try again with a card that isn’t linked to the SM promo?
Old May 17, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I have an escalation case with them to try to figure out why Apple Wallet isn't working, but I'm not counting on it getting resolved...
If you get it figured out, please report back. I've tried everything I can think of but not had success.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by AirricK11
I'm so confused why I can't get my gc.com purchases to show up. Wondering if there's another way I should go about ordering.
There are infinite permutations, but if you want to be maximally assured of success with a minimum of hassle, install a new browser that you only use for eShopping, nothing else. After installing this browser, feel free to change the name to "eShopping" or something (if you can; I can on my Mac) just to help you remember that this is the browser to use for eShopping. In the browser, turn off privacy options such as tracking prevention (don't just set it to "basic", turn it off). It's fine to set it to clear cookies on quit. Do not install or enable any ad blockers or privacy shields. The key is that this browser has no privacy protection, so eShopping will work, and therefore you only use it for eShopping, nothing else. Install the eShopping "button" on it.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:56 pm

It can take time for it to go from tracked to pending. Larger orders are sometimes subject to manual review by the merchant (this depends on the merchant).

Just wait until the order has been pending for 15 days. If it hasn't posted by then, file a ticket. You will get your miles.
Well, after 8 weeks I got the dreaded "the merchant has researched and determined your order is not eligible for rewards" message about my large transaction. I am 100% sure I did the clickthrough correctly; I even cleared cookies and opened new browser prior to clickthrough. I've placed dozens of orders through eShopping and been credited for every one except this one. Needless to say I am pretty pissed because this order was bigger than all the rest combined.

Any suggestions on recourse or how to get Cartera and/or the vendor to reconsider?
Old May 17, 2022, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Well, after 8 weeks I got the dreaded "the merchant has researched and determined your order is not eligible for rewards" message about my large transaction. I am 100% sure I did the clickthrough correctly; I even cleared cookies and opened new browser prior to clickthrough. I've placed dozens of orders through eShopping and been credited for every one except this one. Needless to say I am pretty pissed because this order was bigger than all the rest combined.

Any suggestions on recourse or how to get Cartera and/or the vendor to reconsider?
I've never seen that one before. I would reply and ask why it's not eligible.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:01 pm

Anyone done the Verizon offer? What qualifies as a purchase for the bonus?
Old May 17, 2022, 1:32 pm

I've never seen that one before. I would reply and ask why it's not eligible.
The only reason given as to why in the message is "The merchant has indicated that the commission for order #xxx was payable to another party outside of our network".

I've sent a followup to both Cartera and the merchant asking for details. But I am worried they are just going to each point fingers at each other.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only reason given as to why in the message is "The merchant has indicated that the commission for order #xxx was payable to another party outside of our network".

I've sent a followup to both Cartera and the merchant asking for details. But I am worried they are just going to each point fingers at each other.
Cartera is on your side here; they want to get paid too. I would not go through the merchant.

I would just tell them that you didn't have any other offer and you clicked through their site.

I assume that this is all true? Are you trying to double dip rewards? If so the merchant is within their rights to refuse to pay. I know that there are some citi and simplymiles offers right now. Double dipping usually works but no guarantees (I would certainly not try it on a big order without testing on a few small ones first)
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 2:01 pm

Cartera is on your side here; they want to get paid too. I would not go through the merchant.

I would just tell them that you didn't have any other offer and you clicked through their site.

I assume that this is all true? Are you trying to double dip rewards? If so the merchant is within their rights to refuse to pay. I know that there are some citi and simplymiles offers right now. Double dipping usually works but no guarantees (I would certainly not try it on a big order without testing on a few small ones first)
All true, no double dipping, nothing shady, didn't even use coupon codes. I sent them a screenshot of the clickthrough summary on the eshopping site that shows I did click through at the time of purchase (presumably they would have already checked this, but just in case). I had done several smaller transactions to test n(with different merchants) with no problems. The nature of the purchase was such that doing a small transaction with this specific merchant wasn't feasible.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:23 pm

​​​​​​​I've heard some have had success with politely asking for documentation of which other party the commission was paid to.
Mr. BoH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.