Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It works fine with Google Pay; I've added and paid with several. Once I realized that I needed to register and then add using their link and their app I haven't had any issues.
I'm having trouble getting the My Prepaid Center app to work with Google Pay. I click the save to wallet button from GC.com, MPC app opens, then I get an error message saying there was a problem retrieving my card information.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
I'm having trouble getting the My Prepaid Center app to work with Google Pay. I click the save to wallet button from GC.com, MPC app opens, then I get an error message saying there was a problem retrieving my card information.
Did you register the card on the website first? There's a website address at the bottom of the fine print on the page where you retrieve your card (MyGift.GiftCardMall.com)
DrinkSlinger likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Bingo! Thank you! My Costco trip later today is saved!

Also, super new to all of this...looking forward to racking up my LP to make my every other week business trips that much more comfortable!
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA platinum
I think it might help to have a no-fee Visa Giftcard walkthrough. Credit to this thread, none of this is my original info.

Convert $250 spend into 750 LP plus credit card earn while being able to buy anything you want:
  1. Disable your ad blockers entirely. (E.g., use a different web browser that doesn't have any ad blocker installed. For router-level ad blockers, use your phone as a hotspot to a laptop/desktop or use your phone wifi disabled but you need to spoof the browser user agent with a desktop ID)
  2. Go to AA shopping portal, aadvantageeshopping.com
  3. Click through to giftcards.com (make it one of your favorites so it's easy to find)
  4. Click on BRANDS at the top menu and be sure to log in to a giftcards.com account to receive 1% discount on your next GC ($250 card for ~$247.11).
  5. Search for Visa. It's not "Virtual Visa account". It just says "Visa" (control-F or command-F should do the trick in most browsers)
  6. Purchase a $250 card. Use your AA card for extra LP, click the silly disclosures, verify that you understand cartoons.
  7. Go to your email, open the "XXX sent you an eGift from GiftCards.com" email and click on "Claim Visa eGiftcard"
  8. Copy the gift card Visa number, expiration date and CCV.
  9. At this point, decide if you want to (A) spend money with real live humans with google pay, (B) have junk delivered by Amazon, or (C) buy from another online source.
(A) How to Spend the GC on Amazon
  1. Go to Amazon.com and type "Reload" in the search box. Click on Gift Card Reload
  2. Click on the "Reload Your Balance" button
  3. Enter $250 as a custom amount and click BUY NOW.
  4. Change your payment method. Paste in the GC number from step 8. This card does not need to be registered.
  5. You'll have $250 to spend on Amazon ready within about 5 minutes. The reload amount is cumulative, which means it's very convenient. E.g., two $250 cards become $500. Amazon also offers occasional bonuses for using Reload (I've received $8 and $10 extra).

(B) How to Spend GC in person via Google Pay on an Android
  1. Go to MyGift.GiftCardMall.com, click on "Register Card", enter the number, click on Register Card
  2. Once you get confirmation, go back to your phone and open the page from step 8
  3. Click on "Add to Wallet"
  4. Install the "My Prepaid Center" app if it's not installed
  5. It will ask if you want to add the card to GPay (install if needed).
  6. Now you can swipe through and use as many registered cards as you like on your phone and pay anywhere that accepts NFC payment. These appear as individual cards within Google Pay -- the total dollar amount is not cumulative.
* Apple Wallet does not currently allow use of giftcard payment via NFC. Although the Google Pay app is available on the iOS store, Apple restricts NFC payment to the Apple Wallet ecosystem.

(C) How to Spend GC on an online purchase other than Amazon
  1. Just enter the card number from step 8. No registration needed.

NOTES
If all goes well, you will receive an email "Your order has been tracked through AAdvantage eShopping" within 24 hours or so. This means the loyalty points are "pending." It takes a while longer to go from "pending" to "confirmed."

The terms say "Orders over $2,000.00 max per month per customer are not eligible" for the loyalty point bonus at giftcards.com. So, for greatest chance of success, buy a single $250 card per day, eight total per month. Those who live life on the edge can do multiple one-card purchases in a day, but you risk irritating The Algorithm that will assume you're laundering drug money, not loyalty points.

Again, all of this info is stolen from this thread, esp. VegasGambler. I just wrote it down so I could optimize into a 5-6 minute operation.

Last edited by Imarmed; May 23, 2022 at 4:11 pm
Old May 10, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for this. Don't forget that they can be used anywhere you pay online or by phone, not just Amazon, and they don't need to be registered for that. I've never had one declined.
Venezuela-Miami and Imarmed like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Reconciling eShopping purchases and AA miles/LPs

I'm trying to reconcile my eShopping purchases with AA miles/LPs. The eShopping site lists each tracked transaction, with the merchant, purchase date, awarded date, order number, eligible purchase amount, and miles awarded. The AA site lists a bunch of small tiles, title "ESHOPPING ON-LINE PURCHASE MILES" with a date and a number of miles and LPs. I have an entry for May 7 that says 1,800 miles and LPs were awarded. It's the only entry with a May 7 date. The eShopping site shows four transactions with a post date of May 7, with awarded miles of 600, 600, 450, and 250. That's 1,900. I have two entries for May 6, one for 250 miles and LPs, the other for 900. The eShopping site has one transaction with a post date of May 6, for 450 miles.

So, did one of the eShopping May 7 post date entries post for 100 miles fewer than what I should have earned? Or is the the date that AA shows different from the "post date" that eShopping shows?
Old May 10, 2022, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm trying to reconcile my eShopping purchases with AA miles/LPs. The eShopping site lists each tracked transaction, with the merchant, purchase date, awarded date, order number, eligible purchase amount, and miles awarded. The AA site lists a bunch of small tiles, title "ESHOPPING ON-LINE PURCHASE MILES" with a date and a number of miles and LPs. I have an entry for May 7 that says 1,800 miles and LPs were awarded. It's the only entry with a May 7 date. The eShopping site shows four transactions with a post date of May 7, with awarded miles of 600, 600, 450, and 250. That's 1,900. I have two entries for May 6, one for 250 miles and LPs, the other for 900. The eShopping site has one transaction with a post date of May 6, for 450 miles.

So, did one of the eShopping May 7 post date entries post for 100 miles fewer than what I should have earned? Or is the the date that AA shows different from the "post date" that eShopping shows?
On AA, they are backdated to the purchase date. You need to match the AA date with the purchase date on the portal. Ignore the post date for these purposes.

That's how everything on AA works. Flights are backdated to the day you flew. Hyatt dual accrual are backdated to the date you checked out. RM/bAAh are backdated to the day you made the reservation. The date they post to AA is irrelevant.
Old May 10, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Has the purchase fee for physical cards gone up to $5.99?
Old May 10, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
Oh, they will. Just go to the "Shutdowns" thread on the Manufactured Spending forum.

No one knows what the tolerance is. It is probably not at the level of $2K a month, particularly if the card is also used for other spend. My shutdowns have all been after hundreds of thousands of dollars of GC purchases. But yes, it can happen. Why? Ask me again after I become a senior vice-president for risk managment of a bank.
Thanks
Old May 10, 2022, 4:15 pm

On AA, they are backdated to the purchase date. You need to match the AA date with the purchase date on the portal. Ignore the post date for these purposes.
Thanks.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:26 pm

Tried to buy $250 visas from Giftcards.com twice today. Both times order immediately cancelled.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by _kurt
A small warning to anyone reading your post not to intentionally or flagrantly take advantage of the lack of LP clawback. Years ago eShopping would fail to debit the miles for returns. A few people maximized that loophole by buying and then returning hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. I think when it was finally caught, some accounts got shut down.
To clarify, I was just providing a DP. I should have added a caveat. In no way am I encouraging anyone to buy and return merchandise just to get "free" LPs.
_kurt likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Lasvegasgamer
Tried to buy $250 visas from Giftcards.com twice today. Both times order immediately cancelled.
Try buying a $25 one tomorrow. In the "Contact Information" following the credit card, be sure to use the exact mailing address of the credit card you used, and try using a cell phone number in the phone number field. Wait until tomorrow to place the order, and don't be greedy, just $25. If that goes through, wait another day, then buy $100. If that works, wait six hours, then buy $150.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:35 pm

I've created a spreadsheet with each order from all my emails from eShopping merchants (including the giftgards.com auto-cancelled orders) since January 1st and added columns for how eShopping shows the order under transactions and how the miles and LPs posted on AA. For the most part, each order got tracked on eShopping and the miles (and starting March 1st) the LPs posted on AA. In some cases, some orders were consolidated when posted on AA. In one case, a valid order isn't tracked on eShopping, although a valid order just before it and an auto-cancelled order just after it (all on the same day) were consolidated and posted on AA. In one case, three valid orders for the same amount were consolidated and posted as if there were four for that amount. In another case, one order that tracked as 100 miles/LPs posted as 500.

One would think that the process would be repeatable and predictable, even if on occasion a glitch causes an order to not be tracked or not to post, but instead, on occasion orders post for more.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:17 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
If I book a 5-night hotel through the AA shopping portal (ihg directly) but it only requires a one-night deposit, when do I get the LPs for the total? After the stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.