Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Definitely. If you book premium fares regularly, a large chunk of the status benefits are moot - upgrades, baggage, lounge access etc. Also, if you book premium fares, then you can pick the best airline and best connection vs being beholden to one.
Yes, well, I'm also trying to maintain my UA Platinum status (I find it useful to have status on a secondary airline as well, for the reasons that you point out. Last week I went to New Orleans and UA was about 1/3 the price of AA -- I had to connect but it was painless). That UA status is a lot harder to get and maintain.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:47 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's under brands, maybe 80% of the way down the page.
Thanks.
I was able to buy a $250 GC and use it to reload my Amazon balance. I even got a $10 bonus on Amazon, so I paid $250 to receive $260 of Amazon credit
I'll (hopefully) receive 1,000 RDM and 1,000 LP (3x GC.com + 1x AA CC spend).
Old May 10, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton gold
Use credit card

Wonder if Chase or Amex gets upset about buyingfrom Gift card com
Old May 10, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jim5518
Why would they??
Old May 10, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
Thanks.
I was able to buy a $250 GC and use it to reload my Amazon balance. I even got a $10 bonus on Amazon, so I paid $250 to receive $260 of Amazon credit
I'm glad it worked out for you.

Amazon is actually the one online retailer that I don't use these cards on because I have the 5% CB Amazon prime card (though this is certainly worth more than 5%, so maybe I should reconsider. One question is how much value I'll be able to get from my RDM since now I'm generating so many of them, I'll have to lower my bar for redemption)

Out of an abundance of caution (probably unnecessary) I've stopped buying these GC with my AA card (or, actually, anything from Citi, Chase or Amex) because I'm not sure what their tolerance is for "stored value card" purchases. I got a 1% CB card from a small regional bank, and I'm using that to buy them. I don't really care if they end up shutting me down. So for now I'm getting 3 RDM & LP + 1% CB + 1% giftcards.com store credit, which is still pretty good. Like I said, it's probably unnecessary but not having to worry about shutdowns is nice (even if I was worrying for nothing)
Old May 10, 2022, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
On a related note (and not just with giftcards.com), when the miles are clawed back the LPs remain, at least for now. I had this happen with a Macy's purchase (that I subsequently returned for a refund) as well. I'm sure they'll eventually develop a mechanism to deal with it if they deem it important enough, but for now the good times are rolling.
A small warning to anyone reading your post not to intentionally or flagrantly take advantage of the lack of LP clawback. Years ago eShopping would fail to debit the miles for returns. A few people maximized that loophole by buying and then returning hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. I think when it was finally caught, some accounts got shut down.
vasantn, Antarius and VegasGambler like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _kurt
A small warning to anyone reading your post not to intentionally or flagrantly take advantage of the lack of LP clawback. Years ago eShopping would fail to debit the miles for returns. A few people maximized that loophole by buying and then returning hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise. I think when it was finally caught, some accounts got shut down.
This is good advice. There are certain lines that are just not a good idea to cross. Maximizing the published rules of program is one thing; intentionally abusing a website bug or oversight is another. IMO buying things that you intend to return is not even a grey area; it's clearly over the line (though we all have to set our own lines based on our tolerance for risk and possibly our morals)

Honestly EXP is so easy to achieve while staying within the rules, I see no reason to even consider a tactic like this. The risk is too high. Note that AA can catch this with an audit (they don't need help from the portal) and they have been heavy handed about stuff like this in the past.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
Thanks.
What's the $10 Amazon bonus? I've used the GCs on Amzn gc balance, but didn't see any bonus offer
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by _kurt
good warning. I remember the rabid posts here when people finally got caught.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by jim5518
Why would they??
Oh, they will. Just go to the "Shutdowns" thread on the Manufactured Spending forum.

No one knows what the tolerance is. It is probably not at the level of $2K a month, particularly if the card is also used for other spend. My shutdowns have all been after hundreds of thousands of dollars of GC purchases. But yes, it can happen. Why? Ask me again after I become a senior vice-president for risk managment of a bank.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
What's the $10 Amazon bonus? I've used the GCs on Amzn gc balance, but didn't see any bonus offer
Old May 10, 2022, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would they??
The short answer is, compliance.

There are "know your customer" laws. Some banks have taken hefty fines for turning a blind eye to money laundering. It's not that they necessarily knew that their customers were laundering money; it's that the activity was suspicious enough that they should have known.

So, anything that looks like it might be money laundering (or otherwise shady) gets shut down. They may be making money by having you as a customer, but it's not enough to risk the wrath of their regulators or the justice department. So the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater, so to speak.

I'm not an attorney; maybe someone who is can give a better explanation and/or correct any mistakes in what I wrote.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:07 pm

Not just money laundering but also break-out fraud and synthetic identity fraud. Buying a lot of cash-equivalents like gift cards is something someone might do right before walking away from their debts and declaring bankruptcy.
Old May 10, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
For me this is great because I fly a lot on cheap fares. There's no way I will spend $18k on airfare in a year. My average domestic round trip is well under $500. Even for international trips I can often find good deals -- I applied SWUs to each direction of a $930 BE round trip fare to Seoul. At the end of the year my spend will be somewhere in the $5k to $7k range which would leave me somewhere between a quarter and a third of the way to requalifying (I originally got my status comped through the Hyatt Globalist promo in 2019).

I would argue that I get better value out of the status than people who spend a lot on expensive premium cabin fares (since I get upgraded, and they have nowhere to upgrade to). I'm currently sitting in F (upgraded from a BE fare).
My average round trip this year is more like $600 (pre-pandemic, it was ~$400), and like you, even my 1-2 a year international trips are about $1000, which came with practically no EQD (or LPs now) because the actual "fare" part was tiny. Pre 2018, I wasn't quite cracking gold status with about 6 trips a year, but then I had a well time Plat Pro promo status, and then Hyatt gave me Exec Plat for 2020, 2021 was an extension, 2022 was earned from the CC spend promo, and I was well prepared to drop back down to gold.

But, now, no way. Way easy to get to 200K LPs, and since I always have 4+ segments per roundtrip (as a tiny outstation), the 30 segments for SWUs is pretty much happening naturally anyways.

It seems there are about 6 of us on this board who actually get it, while others keep talking about having to put $200K on an AA-branded credit card.

BTW I'm not finding giftcards.com to be fun. Too glitchy and too much bookkeeping for me. I gave up on it after my first purchase of $2500. I'm already nearly at 150K LPs and have a bunch of flights coming up.
When this all started, I was thinking mostly in terms of CC spend, and was shooting for 125K LPs, but CC spend is much slower than eshopping, simply miles, and for those who do it, the hotels. I am just doing enough CC spend for the 10K LP bonus but then it's back in the drawer, I can get what I need through these other means and still collect my points and cash back on my other cards.

As for the giftcards, I see the benefit, but I'm not into that either (and so don't bother with it).
Old May 10, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW I'm not finding giftcards.com to be fun. Too glitchy and too much bookkeeping for me. I gave up on it after my first purchase of $2500. I'm already nearly at 150K LPs and have a bunch of flights coming up.
Buy one $250 prepaid card at a time and your problems will go away (multiple per day is fine, but different transactions).

My experience is that $250 purchases track automatically, usually same-day, and post within 2 days. I still keep track but I haven't had a single issue since I've switched to 1 card per transaction.

On the other hand, larger purchases seem to require some kind of manual intervention or approval. If you are lucky they will post automatically within a week or so. If you are not you will have to file a ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.