Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2022, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Does anyone know if the current bonus (500 miles for $100 spend, 1000 miles for $300) count as LPs? I'm guessing not since they're "bonus miles", but thought I'd ask anyway.
They do not.
bscooter26 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Let's hope so. I can see the Cartera marketing people now. "Hey gullible business. The deal is a $20 loss leader promo. We expect 100 (whispers thousand) sign ups per week. Whatdya say?"

ETA: I wonder if Cart publishes stats on their AA vs OAL portfolios? It's gotta be at least double now!
User acquisition is always hard. It's easy to overspend. Good analytics are readily available now though, so it's easier than it used to be. A good business will slice and dice their customer lifetime value by acquisition channel.

I think you'd be surprised. Even people who sign up "just for the miles" often end up becoming long term customers if they like the product. It's not that different than credit cards offering tons of miles as sign up bonuses. As long as you don't allow churning (don't pay to acquire the same customer twice!) it's profitable overall, even though you will lose money on some individual customers.
Exiled in Express likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I made some purchases for 3 miles/$ on the eShopping portal;, and they all posted as Bonus Miles. I thought these were supposed to post as base miles to earn LP??
Old Mar 11, 2022, 2:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Raralith
I made some purchases for 3 miles/$ on the eShopping portal;, and they all posted as Bonus Miles. I thought these were supposed to post as base miles to earn LP??
There have been a number of reports that manual adjustments had been showing up as bonus miles unless the requester specifically asks for them to be base miles.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The post I was replying to was talking about buying Home Depot gift cards, not VGCs.

But you bring to an interesting point. Can you use the VGCs you bought last month to pay for the VGCs you are buying this month? Essentially just paying the fee to get the miles every month, if you have no other method of liquidation? Someone must have tried this...
Sadly this did not work for me. I bought a $250 VGC ($243.45 with the fee, less than 5% promo), waited for it to arrive in my inbox, then tried to use it to buy another $250 VGC in the same manner. It would not accept the card number.
nk15 and Mbethy like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
There have been a number of reports that manual adjustments had been showing up as bonus miles unless the requester specifically asks for them to be base miles.
This is something you can specifically ask the portal for when you file for missing miles?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 1:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by nall
This is something you can specifically ask the portal for when you file for missing miles?
People have reported typing the request into the comments box. Not sure whether it always makes a difference, but some of them appear to have posted as base miles for some posters.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 2:23 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Levis is 8x today with an extra 50% off sale items. I picked up 3 new pairs of pants and paid with visa gift cards I got through the gift cards portal.
adidas is up from 1x to 10x as well.
njvandy and Mbethy like this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
People have reported typing the request into the comments box. Not sure whether it always makes a difference, but some of them appear to have posted as base miles for some posters.
Guess I'll have to put that in the comments for future missing miles requests.

Anyone have success getting these reissued as Base Miles?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:59 am

With giftcards.com 5% off on virtual visa giftcards, is there any downside besides being stuck with a visa giftcard to maxing out the $2k per month limit?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by econ
Guess I'll have to put that in the comments for future missing miles requests.

Anyone have success getting these reissued as Base Miles?
I made an inquiry on the aa eshopping website for reclass from bonus to base miles, but have not received a response yet. Since all of mine have been manual adjustments, I'm fairly certain I've been hosed up to this point so I really need that correction. I'm unsure if I can call AAdvantage to help since it's being posted on the aa.com website, but I may have to go down that route.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:26 pm

Man, they are just clawing back other random purchases for me at this point. (Stuff I have actually received, and was within the T&C). What's up with you, AA Shopping Portal?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Man, they are just clawing back other random purchases for me at this point. (Stuff I have actually received, and was within the T&C). What's up with you, AA Shopping Portal?
Which vendors? I've had no clawbacks yet and all my inquiries to date have been resolved in my favor except for a couple that are still pending. I would file a dispute ASAP.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
With giftcards.com 5% off on virtual visa giftcards, is there any downside besides being stuck with a visa giftcard to maxing out the $2k per month limit?
They’re a pain to buy: credit card declines, canceled orders, orders that don’t track correctly are all apparently frequent occurrences. And they’re a pain to use: unless you can drain it in one go, you’re having to track and use residual balances on multiple cards. But if you can deal with those issues then they’re pretty lucrative. It will cost you $974 to pay $1000 in bills and earn 3K LP on top of whatever you would normally earn. Assuming you can get rid of them on spend that would otherwise be unbonused then it’s an attractive deal.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphy
They’re a pain to buy: credit card declines, canceled orders, orders that don’t track correctly are all apparently frequent occurrences. And they’re a pain to use: unless you can drain it in one go, you’re having to track and use residual balances on multiple cards. But if you can deal with those issues then they’re pretty lucrative. It will cost you $974 to pay $1000 in bills and earn 3K LP on top of whatever you would normally earn. Assuming you can get rid of them on spend that would otherwise be unbonused then it’s an attractive deal.
I agree that they are a bit of a pain to buy (actually they are easy to buy, but their tracking has been wonky lately so getting the miles might take some time and/or effort)

But they are extremely easy to use. There is no physical card so they are only good for card-not-present transactions (generally phone or online) but other than that restriction I've never had a merchant who takes Visa not accept them. I've used them to pay utility bills, medical bills, invoices (my pool guy), and for online retail. You can run them as debit if it results in a reduction or elimination of fees.

You don't need to track anything; you can check your balance online at giftcards.com and I've never had more then one in a partially used state. The only real issue comes when splitting payments over multiple cards is a problem (my health insurance company allows it but does not support it online, so I have to call in and split the payment over 4 cards)
nk15 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.