Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I wonder if you can double dip on this. If I bought $1k in giftcards for Home Depot for 3x and then turned around and spent them at Home Depot for 4x
Note that Home Depot is only 4x for a single category of purchases. Everything else is 0.5x. But I get that you were just using that as an example.

Also in my experience, some merchants will give you miles when you pay by GC and some won't. Try with a small amount first.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Note that Home Depot is only 4x for a single category of purchases. Everything else is 0.5x. But I get that you were just using that as an example.

Also in my experience, some merchants will give you miles when you pay by GC and some won't. Try with a small amount first.
This is not a store gift card. Virtual or physical Visa/Mastercard is no different than paying with you cc. So there's no reason why it wouldn't track if you use the vgc/mcgc from giftcards.com to buy things like you normally would.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
This is not a store gift card. Virtual or physical Visa/Mastercard is no different than paying with you cc. So there's no reason why it wouldn't track if you use the vgc/mcgc from giftcards.com to buy things like you normally would.
The post I was replying to was talking about buying Home Depot gift cards, not VGCs.

But you bring to an interesting point. Can you use the VGCs you bought last month to pay for the VGCs you are buying this month? Essentially just paying the fee to get the miles every month, if you have no other method of liquidation? Someone must have tried this...
njvandy and donotblink like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by vegasgambler
the post i was replying to was talking about buying home depot gift cards, not vgcs.

But you bring to an interesting point. Can you use the vgcs you bought last month to pay for the vgcs you are buying this month? Essentially just paying the fee to get the miles every month, if you have no other method of liquidation? Someone must have tried this...
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🤯🤯🤯
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
I just bought 2,500 miles for $12.08 by buying dog food from Spot & Tango. I do not have a dog!
Did these post? As base miles? Did you just buy the snacks, or the $1/day subscription with 50% off coupon?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by wwrjb
Did these post? As base miles? Did you just buy the snacks, or the $1/day subscription with 50% off coupon?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34023565-post374.html
Old Feb 28, 2022, 7:17 am

Thanks...feeling dumb...still unclear how this works. I signed up for 2 weeks with the 50% off code through the AA Shopping Portal. Came out to $27.75 so hopefully will work with SimplyMiles to.

However, I "activated" the AA Shopping extension (and went through link) but didn't get the normal banner saying "success" or whatever. Also only showing up as a store visit not a recent purchase in the portal...but maybe that takes a while.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by wwrjb
Thanks...feeling dumb...still unclear how this works. I signed up for 2 weeks with the 50% off code through the AA Shopping Portal. Came out to $27.75 so hopefully will work with SimplyMiles to.

However, I "activated" the AA Shopping extension (and went through link) but didn't get the normal banner saying "success" or whatever. Also only showing up as a store visit not a recent purchase in the portal...but maybe that takes a while.
Here's my methodology for eShopping (thanks to VegasGambler for the invaluable hints):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34031974-post282.html

I don't use the shopping extension, the button, or any of those complications.

I have not had a lot of success with SimplyMiles and their customer service is horrendously slow.

Yes, some visits do take a while to turn into tracked purchases, but all of my recent ones have started tracking overnight and shown up as pending the next day.
marunouchi24 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:38 am

Thank you, I effectively followed your process, apart from the log out, log back in.

We'll see if it shows up...the "Blooom" one never tracked for me.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It showing up under recent store visits just means that you clicked the link to go to the store. That is handled completely on Cartera's end and can't really be screwed up.

The term "tracked" (the way Cartera uses it in the emails that they send out) refers to your purchase being reported back to Cartera.
You're right. Tracked generally means they show up as pending meaning the portal has heard back from the merchant!

Update: My verizon miles now show as Pending under Recent Transactions so I guess there is a god! So they have tracked after a couple of emails. Recent Store Visits shows order amounts of 0.00 which isn't true.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
After requesting it (as missing), Sunbasket appears to have posted to Cartera today. Waiting on it to post to AA. And still waiting on Verizon x2.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
You're right. Tracked generally means they show up as pending meaning the portal has heard back from the merchant!

Update: My verizon miles now show as Pending under Recent Transactions so I guess there is a god! So they have tracked after a couple of emails. Recent Store Visits shows order amounts of 0.00 which isn't true.
Did you purchase the prepaid? How many did you purchase?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Did you purchase the prepaid? How many did you purchase?
Yep. Just 2. And I had 2 chase offers so it was only 13 bucks each!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is anyone else having problems with the giftcards.com 3x miles promo?

The first purchase that I made (all virtual VGCs) tracked at 3x my actual spend (that is, in the store visits section, it shows a dollar amount of $2250+ when in fact I spent $750+).

The next purchase was 2 VGCs and 1 store GC. It was automatically cancelled by their fraud detection system for some reason, but it still tracked as a purchase. The VGCs tracked at 2x the actual cost, while the amount from the store card was correct (they showed up as separate line items in the same store visit).

So I tried again, purchasing just the VGCs and no store card. That one went through, and tracked at 2x the actual spend.

So the recent visits are all showing the wrong dollar amount (either 3x or 2x). None of these have moved over to actual miles earned (presumably their system sees that the numbers are wrong). But nothing has been modified yet. These purchases were all 3-4 days ago.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
3x at giftcards.com today. Get your monthly 2k purchase in!
Apparently they are reversing a number of transactions that are within the limits, unknown reason why.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.