Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
They like to do this for large payouts. I've had to submit BBB complaints for a couple of ones they denied for BS reasons and they've always resolved them for me (quite quickly I might add). Might be worth a shot.
Interesting. Did you submit a BBB complaint against Cartera or Booking.com?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Interesting. Did you submit a BBB complaint against Cartera or Booking.com?
Cartera.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I submitted a complaint to BBB. Cartera responded with their usual rhetoric. I kept replying I was not satisfied with the response, but BBB closed the case anyways. So that route didn't work. No more making reservations on Booking.com thru Cartera for me.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Anyone have any trouble with Bed, Bath, & Beyond miles posting?

Usually, I get a notification really quickly about purchases being tracked, but I received none for my Bed, Bath & Beyond purchases, despite it being over a week. The purchases were quite large.

I ensured that I clicked through on the links, and even, right before checkout, clicked on the link again through AAdvantage eShopping, so that I received the popup notification again in the relevant window. Each time, the little yellow banner at the top came across telling me how many miles I was set to earn, and each time, I saw the popup window after the purchase.

But since then, nothing.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DMPHL
Anyone have any trouble with Bed, Bath, & Beyond miles posting?

Usually, I get a notification really quickly about purchases being tracked, but I received none for my Bed, Bath & Beyond purchases, despite it being over a week. The purchases were quite large.

I ensured that I clicked through on the links, and even, right before checkout, clicked on the link again through AAdvantage eShopping, so that I received the popup notification again in the relevant window. Each time, the little yellow banner at the top came across telling me how many miles I was set to earn, and each time, I saw the popup window after the purchase.

But since then, nothing.
Have you received the items? Eshopping points do not post until item received. Macy's doesn't post right away either.
I do have concerns that your login to AAdvantageeshopping expires after a short while. When I open the browser it remembers me, but when I click on the person/account symbol it prompts me for my AA # and PW for Eshopping. So I am thinking the direct login time out. Not sure.
But after receiving merchandise and no points then open a case with Eshopping.

I have a situation with Macy's.

- Over a month ago I ordered two shirts from Macy's. Macy's divided them into 2 shipments, and charged my Macy's card for both.
- One shipment received in about 5 days - this one had a tracking number. I received the Macy's points on Eshopping for this one shirt after receipt.
- Second shipment never received - it was UPS which transferred it to USPS shipping. Hence no points yet.
- After a month, I called Macy's and there were to reship the shirt. But Macy's refunded the second shirt (both same price).
- But Eshopping then deleted the points for first one.
- I called Macy's a couple of times and told them I wanted the shirt - so they are supposed to ship.

But issue is Eshopping removed the points for the 1st received shirt, but we they got notified of the refund for the 2nd shirt they deleted the points for the 1st one.
DMPHL and sexykitten7 like this.

Last edited by cova; Jan 8, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cova
Have you received the items? Eshopping points do not post until item received. Macy's doesn't post right away either.
I do have concerns that your login to AAdvantageeshopping expires after a short while. When I open the browser it remembers me, but when I click on the person/account symbol it prompts me for my AA # and PW for Eshopping. So I am thinking the direct login time out. Not sure.
But after receiving merchandise and no points then open a case with Eshopping.
Yea not all of the items yet, but some of the orders are filled. Some of them broken up between store pick-up and delivery, so not totally tidy. I'm a bit obsessive about the timeouts, so I usually have AAdvantage eshopping open in an adjacent tab, and when I am ready to checkout, I click the link from the AAdvantage eshopping site again, and in the original merchant tab, it refreshes the notification that I am now receiving x miles/dollar. I also have the plug-in installed for Chrome.

Even then, I wouldn't put it past the system to just conk out and miss big purchases.

I'll wait another week and see what happens. Thanks for the insight, and I hope your situation with Macy's gets resolved.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
I have stopped using AA shopping some time ago because those would seldom post and other shopping portals are much more reliable. Now with AA switching to LP, I expect to hear many more complains against Cartera. I do not think that anyone in AA realized that they are on a verge of PR disaster as folks will begin complaining regarding missing points for Elite qualification!
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:52 am

Made a purchase on Sephora for in-store pickup. The little banner flying across the screen at the top would tell me the amount of points I would earn - but after the transaction, no popup came up with the "Thank you! We hope you enjoy your purchase.". I went over to Chewy to make a routine purchase there and the pop up worked and everything seems fine - so anyone ever had this issue with Sephora purchases? Is it because it's in-store pickup?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by senatorbrown
Made a purchase on Sephora for in-store pickup. The little banner flying across the screen at the top would tell me the amount of points I would earn - but after the transaction, no popup came up with the "Thank you! We hope you enjoy your purchase.". I went over to Chewy to make a routine purchase there and the pop up worked and everything seems fine - so anyone ever had this issue with Sephora purchases? Is it because it's in-store pickup?
Points should be issued without issue. DP: My (far too many) B3 purchases always credit, even when I choose curbside pick-up.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Points should be issued without issue. DP: My (far too many) B3 purchases always credit, even when I choose curbside pick-up.
But does the pop up with the confetti happen for you after online purchase and do you get an email from AA saying your order has been tracked? I normally get that email within a few hours and haven't received it yet - so my worry is that's it's not properly getting tracked.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by senatorbrown
But does the pop up with the confetti happen for you after online purchase and do you get an email from AA saying your order has been tracked? I normally get that email within a few hours and haven't received it yet - so my worry is that's it's not properly getting tracked.
Popups are sporadic. Post-purchase email confirmations are getting better but still imperfect IME. I wouldn't interpret the absence of either to mean no points will be credited.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Popups are sporadic. Post-purchase email confirmations are getting better but still imperfect IME. I wouldn't interpret the absence of either to mean no points will be credited.
I very rarely get the confetti post-purchase thing, and I haven't gotten a post-purchase "your order is being tracked" email in years. But most of my purchases do post automatically, and those that don't tend to be credited quickly when I wait two weeks and use the web form to request credit.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:53 pm

Word of caution on SimplyMiles purchases with a high spend threshold for points. I placed an order at a clothing store and due to some of the items being out of stock, I failed to meet the spend threshold for points AND the retailer is claiming that everything is final sale, no returns.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
if i can see the order number and amount tracked in recent store vists, but it has not yet posted into recent transactions does that mean it will track eventually? Have some orders that posted 3 days ago in recent store visits but has not moved to recent transactions yet?

Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by ambush276
if i can see the order number and amount tracked in recent store vists, but it has not yet posted into recent transactions does that mean it will track eventually? Have some orders that posted 3 days ago in recent store visits but has not moved to recent transactions yet?

Thanks.
I’m wondering the same thing. I’m pretty new to the eShopping portal after being drawn in by the new loyalty points scheme.

On Saturday, I placed back-to-back orders with Pier 1 and Samsung. Both tracked and I got the email within a few hours letting me know to expect points within 3-5 days.

The Pier 1 order has already posted on eShopping and even to my AAdvantage account.

However, the Samsung order has not appeared in my recent transactions tab at all. It does show up in my store visits tab with order number and correct purchase amount. But I have been accustomed to seeing orders like that shown on the transaction tab as well, labeled “pending.” This one isn’t doing that.

It’s worth noting that the Samsung purchase is for just shy of $3k and is by far my largest transaction on the portal so far. The email letting me know it had tracked also cautioned that larger transactions take longer to process. Could that be the issue here?

Anyone have enough experience with this to know whether I should worry about this being denied for some reason? I’m just worried with it not showing up as a pending transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.