Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:52 am

It isn't fair that they can just get away with it. There is no recourse.I am waiting to see how they respond to my proof.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
I had an issue where there just kept putting me off on a large amount of miles. Every contact I had with them was, "Please wait an additional 2 weeks and we'll follow up with you." They kept that up for 3 months and I finally filed a BBB complaint and my complaint was responded to quickly and I had my miles the following Tuesday. It's worth a try: https://www.bbb.org/us/ma/lexington/...nc-0021-123658
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:31 am

Thanks. Worth a shot. I am hoping mine gets fixed wit teh proof but may need to use this for my fiance with the random "you used another offer" bs. He did reply asking for details, which I am sure he will never get.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
File a complaint with a consumer protection regulatory authority such as your attorney general, and/or the attorney general in the state that Cartera is based in (Massachusetts)
Old Aug 29, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Did Home Depot disappear from every shopping portal?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Yes. Also Walmart and Target, last I looked, but I've found stores sometimes go away and then come back. For example, Vitacost was gone for a few days, then came back.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:45 pm

Home Depot is at least now available through Chase, and Bed Bath and Beyond is gone from AA. "Get it while you can" seems to be a good motto.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:03 am

Apple Store purchases

I see AA's portal is offering 4 pts/$ at Apple today, which might be awesome.

When I bought an iPhone2-3 years ago that was financed by a CitizensOne Bank loan (directly from Apple.com) I think i only got shopping portal credits for the first installment of the loan (similiar to how Stitchfix and other subscription services have worked for me), which was something like $50. When I used the Chase portal on an iphone last month, I got points credit based on the WHOLE phone (~$1100). Has anyone bought apple products through the portal recently and used the financing? I'd love to earn 4 AA points/$, but if its only going to be on the first installment than I'd rather use the 2pts that I know Chase will offer.

Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Is there any way to USE AA miles to purchase something (anything) - not earn them for paying for things?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Is there any way to USE AA miles to purchase something (anything) - not earn them for paying for things?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...deem-miles.jsp
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:26 pm

Yes, but I should have mentioned I only have a few stragglers - that's why I was hoping with the shopping portal I could have purchased something inexpensive. The hotels are a possibility, but again it would have to be a low level one and I'm still trying to figure out why you can't book past 3/31/22, wondering if they are going to be ending that.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yes, but I should have mentioned I only have a few stragglers - that's why I was hoping with the shopping portal I could have purchased something inexpensive. The hotels are a possibility, but again it would have to be a low level one and I'm still trying to figure out why you can't book past 3/31/22, wondering if they are going to be ending that.
I'd considering donating them to charity or earning 25x with the current Stand Up bonus (through 18 Sep) and then redeeming.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:48 pm

I'd considering donating them to charity or earning 25x with the current Stand Up bonus (through 18 Sep) and then redeeming.
I will look into both those options, thank you.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Booking.com and eShopping - bad combo!

I made 4 hotel reservations in Greece this past May using Booking.com, going thru eShopping for 4 mi/$. Only 2 transactions had the miles post. I had to submit inquiries for the other 2. One eventually paid, but the last one took until now (Nov) to resolve, and it wasn't in my favor. Of course it was the largest transaction (~$2.5K), and eShopping CS said that Booking.com determined that the commission (from which eShopping pays me the miles) was paid to "another party", which is complete B.S. In fact, one of the other transactions was for the same hotel, and that one was paid. I also am careful to always clear cookies, etc before using eShopping.

I've had trouble getting large Booking.com transactions to post before, but in the end it would come thru. But after this experience I'm done with Booking.com and eShopping.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mangoMan
I made 4 hotel reservations in Greece this past May using Booking.com, going thru eShopping for 4 mi/$. Only 2 transactions had the miles post. I had to submit inquiries for the other 2. One eventually paid, but the last one took until now (Nov) to resolve, and it wasn't in my favor. Of course it was the largest transaction (~$2.5K), and eShopping CS said that Booking.com determined that the commission (from which eShopping pays me the miles) was paid to "another party", which is complete B.S. In fact, one of the other transactions was for the same hotel, and that one was paid. I also am careful to always clear cookies, etc before using eShopping.

I've had trouble getting large Booking.com transactions to post before, but in the end it would come thru. But after this experience I'm done with Booking.com and eShopping.

Thanks for letting me rant.
They like to do this for large payouts. I've had to submit BBB complaints for a couple of ones they denied for BS reasons and they've always resolved them for me (quite quickly I might add). Might be worth a shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.