Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
Target is basically worthless if you check out the T&C! In addition to the standard "no gift cards, no other coupons", these exclusions apply:

Not eligible on grocery (including bakery, produce, deli, and liquor), flowers, baby care items (diapers, wipes, food, and toiletries), household commodities and essentials, pets, electronics, electronic services, computer software, automotive accessories, hardware, toys, sporting goods, fan central, books and magazines, digital entertainment, movies, music, video games and consoles, Apple products, contract mobile and non-contract mobile, imaging and office, Target Pharmacy and OTC, Target Photo (lab and nonlab), Target Optical, Target Café, SweetJOJO, Target Registry Programs (which include Baby, Wedding, and College Registry), and products listed under the "Target Company Store" section of Target.com.

I can't think what's left!
I noticed this long list of exclusions as well. For what it's worth, a few days ago I made an order including deodorant, lip balm (wasn't sure if these would fall under "household commodities" but I'd guess there must be a "personal care" category), and an non-Apple lightning cable (electronics? thought it wouldn't count) and miles for all items were credited.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kentchristopher
I noticed this long list of exclusions as well. For what it's worth, a few days ago I made an order including deodorant, lip balm (wasn't sure if these would fall under "household commodities" but I'd guess there must be a "personal care" category), and an non-Apple lightning cable (electronics? thought it wouldn't count) and miles for all items were credited.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Thank you for the great information.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:07 pm

Has anyone had their miles stuck in "pending" because the merchant would not confirm the purchase for Cartera? Cartera will not release miles earned via an IHG.com booking/stay in August because they haven't been able to get IHG to confirm that the stay occurred. I submitted a receipt from my check-out hoping this would suffice (and the confirmation from booking; the two stated an identical total), but Cartera says that it must come from IHG directly. Any ideas?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Problems With the AA Shopping Portal

Hi,

The shopping portal is junk. Not the first time the wiggled their way out of the responsibility to post the points earned.

I was shopping the day with AA and Alaska but used AA for a flower order ($100) > AA didn't show it > I claimed the points > they started and "investigation" and needed 1 month to say "Nope we blame it on you" and kept my 3k points .... so I thought it might have been credited to Alaska (cookie accident) but no as they came back after 1 day with the same (almost word for word) response "Not our problem"
1) if it takes AA 1 month the only way Alaska can get an answer in one day is that they are the same company (or didn't check at all)
2) as they used the same language I assume the company handling this is the same
3) somehow this happens to a lot of my orders / 50% are not shown and 50% of those are never credited
I use Chrome with browser extensions provided by the Airlines (aka don't blame me) spo their system are no good or they do it on purpose.

My guess is they do it on purpose hoping to promise but never deliver. Anyone sharing my experiences? Class action with punitive damages?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
What does this have to do with Alaska Airlines? Isn't this the vendor for a bunch of different airlines you're complaining about?

Might this go better here?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/s-p-m-2/
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
AS and AA offer fhe shopping portal to me ( who cares who the vendor is as they promote it as a part of their service).
Airlines just suck in many different ways
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So you want to sue Alaska Airlines for not getting your American shopping portal miles and make it a class action because airlines suck.

Well with that ironclad logic I can’t see how you would lose. Good luck.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:15 pm

Both companies will be sued as they use the same excuse (and the same subcontractor) to fool all of us.
AA blames AS and AS. Blames AA.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moving to the AA forum.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:14 pm

AA is having an ongoing promotion for Marriott Bonvoy stays. 10x miles through their shopping portal.

https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/....htm?gmid=2421

Has anyone been able to earn AA miles when booking stays using the AAA rate?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco

Yes, I've done this with IHG and the rate qualified.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
AA is having an ongoing promotion for Marriott Bonvoy stays. 10x miles through their shopping portal.

https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/....htm?gmid=2421

I am still waiting for my miles to post from a normal marriott stay booked last time it was 10x... had to open a case.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
I am still waiting for my miles to post from a normal marriott stay booked last time it was 10x... had to open a case.
I'm waiting for mine too :-(

How do you open the case?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:03 pm

How Quickly do Posted eShopping Miles take to show in AA.com account?

How soon after miles post on eShopping do they show in your AA account? I thought they'd be instant but I have a transaction with 2 miles post date 04/08/2019 that are still not in my AA.com account. Note the post date was the confirmed "you earned miles" type - not just register of the order. It was previously pending but then went confirmed on the 8th.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:49 am

Programs: AA platinum , Hyatt Explorist, Marriott platinum , SPG Gold , Hilton Diamond
I have gotten all aa miles but never from Marriott. I had total of 5k booking of Marriott which brings to 30 k miles (30k miles ). they just refused saying I did not click correctly .....how come I get everything else but just not those . I think any high value they don't release

Cheap strategy .....must say toipcashback has been very good

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.