Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2023, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, WN
I got 5K mile today from my prior missing miles from giftcard.com. I also got about 1K mile from 3 Booking.com stays in 6/2022 (I did not check for these and did not request when they were actually missing).

These miles all back dated to 2022-2023 year. Maybe this can help someone move up a tier for the last year?

Anyway I hope GC.com coming back soon, though I think the reality is getting dimmer day by day!
Old Apr 15, 2023, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Rhomboid
I also got about 1K mile from 3 Booking.com stays in 6/2022 (I did not check for these and did not request when they were actually missing).
Damn that's a long time. I had similar ones from that period but I started chasing at the 60-day mark (from check out date).
Old Apr 19, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I called the normal AA number I call, and at voice prompts asked for AAdvantage customer service. I then immediately told the rep I was having trouble with getting miles I was owed from the American eShopping site and I asked to talk to a supervisor. I told the supervisor I had tried to seek resolution with the eShopping site to no avail. He was familiar with these issues. He asked if I had a case number and when I told him yes he said he would take all my information an elevate it to the eShopping team. You need all the same items you provide in the appeal process on the eShopping. Do not forget to tell them how many miles you are expecting from the transaction. My understanding is that you must have already appealed to eShopping and have a case number. He also assured me that if the issue didn't get resolved by Feb 28, I would still get credit for the miles before Feb 28 and get the elite status I was entitled to.
Thought I'd comment on using AAdvantage Customer Service to assist in retrieving miles that haven't posted despite a claim through the eShopping contact form.
I've been trying to get 8000 LPs and miles from GC.com since late November last year and the last email from eShopping over a month ago was that they were still trying to get commission from GC.com and that this process could take up to 12 weeks, but ignored my comment that I had been waiting nearly 16 weeks!! I have been emailing them once a week since asking for an update and they have been ignoring me.
The AAdvantage Customer Service rep passed me to the Supervisor (as suggested) and took all my details and promised a reply within 7 business days. This morning I received a personalised email saying that the mileage is processing and miles would post within 5-7 business days. I also now see the transaction re-appearing on my eShopping account as pending.
I'm pleasantly surprised, and shocked this worked.
So thank-you very much EQDsSUCK for the tip.
ZenFlyer and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by kimbray
OK, I have some recent stays that were BOOKED in AA's 2022 fiscal year, but were not PAID till AAs 2023 year. What explicitely happens for the LOYALITY points EARNED and when do they post on AAs side.
If they are BACK dated to 2022, I need to cancel and re-reserve bookings to ensure they hit AAs Loyality for 2023 as 2022 is already over and there is NO point to increase LOYALITY in a year that has already past, UNLESS I was still seeking status on 2022 Loyality year.

Is this a correct statement, that for 2023 Loyality earnings, the BOOKING on Booking.com needs to occur in AAs 2023 loyality year? If correct, I have some stays that will post into 2022 that occured/paid in March and need to CANCEL other reservations I have on booking.com to ensure hit 2023 loyality.

FUN FUN FUN...
So after now having multiple stays post that were booked pre-3/1, I can confirm that points earned booking hotels through eshopping post retroactively to the clickthrough date and do NOT count for current year LPs if the clickthrough date is in the prior program year.

So if you have hotel stays you booked prior to 3/1, it may be worth cancelling and rebooking if you are chasing 2023 status (assuming rates have not gone up).
ZenFlyer and 355F1 like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:34 am

Question about Motley fool - I have the $50 off $100 Amex Offer, but the links through AA seem to always land on the $89 subscription promo. I want to pay more, but obviously not the full $199. Any one figured out a workaround to this?
Illinwu likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Surgee
Question about Motley fool - I have the $50 off $100 Amex Offer, but the links through AA seem to always land on the $89 subscription promo. I want to pay more, but obviously not the full $199. Any one figured out a workaround to this?
the offers will not both work together and your aa miles will probably get clawed back, but if you want to try, install the aa shopping button in chrome, go to the fool page you want to use, then activate the aa button from the browser extension menu in chrome.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by tommybananas
the offers will not both work together and your aa miles will probably get clawed back, but if you want to try, install the aa shopping button in chrome, go to the fool page you want to use, then activate the aa button from the browser extension menu in chrome.
also, doesn’t Amex require you to use their link in their offer?
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Petsmart is 10x today. Good day to load up on dog food!
Old Apr 24, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Backcountry is at 10x (usually ~4x).
Old Apr 24, 2023, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by njvandy
Petsmart is 10x today. Good day to load up on dog food!
I saw. I stocked up on stuff last week when they want to 4x. I thought that was good after seeing them cycle between 1 and 3 for the last several months.

Anyways, I doubled up. I think my cats are all good to go for the next 5-6 months.
PurdueFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I recently signed up for this service. I feel like an idiot for not knowing it existed until a month ago, but man am I struggling. I wanted to share my observations and see if there's any advice, also, people may learn from my experience. I've used it five times, and only once has it worked right:

1. First order, academy.com, new shoes. Visit to site recorded, order never captured. After 10 days, I used the contact form an uploaded the receipt and they quickly manually input the order.
After this didn't work, I installed the Chrome add-on to see if that would help.

2. Second order, osprey.com, used the Chrome add-on to order new backpacks. Visit to site recorded, order never captured. After 10 days, I used the contact form and uploaded the receipt and they quickly manually input the order.
After this, I felt something might be up, so I completely disabled my Ad-Blocker (uBlock Origin).

3. Third order, lowes.com for $6, visit tracked, order number linked, points posted next day.
At this point, I think I'm out of the woods and it was my Ad-Blocker.

4. Fourth order, walmart.com for $30 for blood pressure monitor, visit track, order number linked. After 10 days, I used the contact form and I was informed the points weren't coming because of Walmart's Ts&Cs which exclude "Pharmacy" but I thought that more to mean RX as this thing was just an off the shelf purchase. That said, I didn't push it, but I informed them that they should send an email or log somewhere in the web site that the site didn't meet the terms.

5. Fifth order, Rimowa.com, $1600 suitcase, visit tracked, order number linked, points never posted. Filled out form, got response that "Research Engineers are looking into it, please wait 8 weeks". I responded to that pretty harshly as it's totally tracked in their system. I reviewed the terms which are: "Special terms: RIMOWA x Porsche Hand-Carry Case Pepita, Limited edition items and collaborations are not eligible for rewards." I ordered a Cabin Plus which is probably their second most popular high volume item, so don't think that's the issue.

Anyways, overall a pretty frustrating experience, only Lowes.com worked properly.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BrianV
I recently signed up for this service. I feel like an idiot for not knowing it existed until a month ago, but man am I struggling. I wanted to share my observations and see if there's any advice, also, people may learn from my experience. I've used it five times, and only once has it worked right:

1. First order, academy.com, new shoes. Visit to site recorded, order never captured. After 10 days, I used the contact form an uploaded the receipt and they quickly manually input the order.
After this didn't work, I installed the Chrome add-on to see if that would help.

2. Second order, osprey.com, used the Chrome add-on to order new backpacks. Visit to site recorded, order never captured. After 10 days, I used the contact form and uploaded the receipt and they quickly manually input the order.
After this, I felt something might be up, so I completely disabled my Ad-Blocker (uBlock Origin).

3. Third order, lowes.com for $6, visit tracked, order number linked, points posted next day.
At this point, I think I'm out of the woods and it was my Ad-Blocker.

4. Fourth order, walmart.com for $30 for blood pressure monitor, visit track, order number linked. After 10 days, I used the contact form and I was informed the points weren't coming because of Walmart's Ts&Cs which exclude "Pharmacy" but I thought that more to mean RX as this thing was just an off the shelf purchase. That said, I didn't push it, but I informed them that they should send an email or log somewhere in the web site that the site didn't meet the terms.

5. Fifth order, Rimowa.com, $1600 suitcase, visit tracked, order number linked, points never posted. Filled out form, got response that "Research Engineers are looking into it, please wait 8 weeks". I responded to that pretty harshly as it's totally tracked in their system. I reviewed the terms which are: "Special terms: RIMOWA x Porsche Hand-Carry Case Pepita, Limited edition items and collaborations are not eligible for rewards." I ordered a Cabin Plus which is probably their second most popular high volume item, so don't think that's the issue.

Anyways, overall a pretty frustrating experience, only Lowes.com worked properly.
Order tracking can be pretty finicky. As you noticed, anything that blocks cookies or trackers will make you life hell if trying to use AA Shopping. I've found even clearing my cookies while orders are pending makes them not post correctly.

My best advice is to use a completely virgin/barebones web browser you don't use for anything else. Even then go to the vendor's website (without clicking through the shopping portal) log in, fill up my cart, then exit the vendor's site and click through the shopping portal and complete the order. I've had almost zero problems since I've started doing this - but in the beginning, I was very much in your shoes.

The Rimowa order is frustrating but I've noticed that if there's a hiccup and an order doesn't post automatically like it should, small orders they just credit you and that's that. High dollar orders often have to be sent to the vendor to be verified and that can take a lot of time. They always quote 8 weeks and it's usually shorter, but sometimes you have to really follow up multiple times.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Order tracking can be pretty finicky. As you noticed, anything that blocks cookies or trackers will make you life hell if trying to use AA Shopping. I've found even clearing my cookies while orders are pending makes them not post correctly.

My best advice is to use a completely virgin/barebones web browser you don't use for anything else. Even then go to the vendor's website (without clicking through the shopping portal) log in, fill up my cart, then exit the vendor's site and click through the shopping portal and complete the order. I've had almost zero problems since I've started doing this - but in the beginning, I was very much in your shoes.

The Rimowa order is frustrating but I've noticed that if there's a hiccup and an order doesn't post automatically like it should, small orders they just credit you and that's that. High dollar orders often have to be sent to the vendor to be verified and that can take a lot of time. They always quote 8 weeks and it's usually shorter, but sometimes you have to really follow up multiple times.
Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed. On your advice, yeah I actually created a Chrome profile specifically for the shopping portal. It's clearly tracking/linking the purchases now, unsure why the Rimowa one is balking.
Drwaz99 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Does anyone know of a way to see what the rate was for a specific store on a specific date?
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:30 pm

I made a purchase for the Motley deal at 6200 LP on 4/19 but nothing yet. It does show the shop visit on my account but no LP yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.