Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Apr 8, 2023, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
You could have signed up and skipped the deliveries for up to 5 weeks.
Based on my recent experience, the miles are credited a couple of days after signing up regardless of when the first delivery is scheduled.
I sort of suspected some version of that at some point but still did not want to take a risk by doing something unusual, and didn't even explore it.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
Has anyone had luck getting miles for third party gift card purchases from Walgreens or any other vendor?
Old Apr 8, 2023, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skviolet98
Has anyone had luck getting miles for third party gift card purchases from Walgreens or any other vendor?
I haven't tried it myself but I believe someone posted a month or so ago that they bought VCGs from Walgreens and got the miles. I remember this because I looked into it but when I saw that they max out at $100 GCs I figured it wasn't worth it with the activation fee.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 6:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I haven't tried it myself but I believe someone posted a month or so ago that they bought VCGs from Walgreens and got the miles. I remember this because I looked into it but when I saw that they max out at $100 GCs I figured it wasn't worth it with the activation fee.
yeah I found that post, but since then Walgreens changed their terms and conditions to exclude gift card purchases. Idk if thats just for Walgreens gift cards or all gift cards.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skviolet98
yeah I found that post, but since then Walgreens changed their terms and conditions to exclude gift card purchases. Idk if thats just for Walgreens gift cards or all gift cards.
You can never really trust stuff like that. Try with something very small that you don't mind buying first, just to test it.

It's one thing to change the terms, but it's another to change the system that actually processes all this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Fool is 6500 today - including a 20 or 30% bonus if you have hit that level, its probably a pretty good LP play for $89
diburning likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Clickthrough not working for most stores

I bought a new PC (running Windows 11) a few weeks ago, and clickthroughs aren't working from AA shopping to a number of merchants. I've tried using Edge, Firefox, and Chrome and it is consistent which stores work and which don't across all three browsers with no exceptions. I contacted Cartera about this and they gave me a few things to try, but none of them worked, and they can't help me any further. The stores not working on my new PC still work on the old PC, my work computers, and work iPad, so the issue is definitely with my new computer. I've reviewed browser security settings based on feedback from Cartera and everything looks in order. I have a free 1-year McAfee subscription on the new computer and i was running a Norton product on the previous one. I've toyed with the McAfee settings a bit, to no avail.

Does anyone have any tips? If it matters, below is a list of some stores that work and don't work:

Works: Marriott, Best Buy, Walmart, Chewy, Petsmart, Petco

Doesnt Work: Hilton, Macys, IHG, Best Western, Viator, Uniqlo, Vitacost, Apple, Newegg, Home Depot, Overstock, Staples, Office Max, Walgreens
Old Apr 10, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I bought a new PC (running Windows 11) a few weeks ago, and clickthroughs aren't working from AA shopping to a number of merchants. I've tried using Edge, Firefox, and Chrome and it is consistent which stores work and which don't across all three browsers with no exceptions. I contacted Cartera about this and they gave me a few things to try, but none of them worked, and they can't help me any further. The stores not working on my new PC still work on the old PC, my work computers, and work iPad, so the issue is definitely with my new computer. I've reviewed browser security settings based on feedback from Cartera and everything looks in order. I have a free 1-year McAfee subscription on the new computer and i was running a Norton product on the previous one. I've toyed with the McAfee settings a bit, to no avail.

Does anyone have any tips? If it matters, below is a list of some stores that work and don't work:

Works: Marriott, Best Buy, Walmart, Chewy, Petsmart, Petco

Doesnt Work: Hilton, Macys, IHG, Best Western, Viator, Uniqlo, Vitacost, Apple, Newegg, Home Depot, Overstock, Staples, Office Max, Walgreens
I'd try fully un-installing McAfee. Also, do you have any VPN running on the new machine (from McAfee or any other source)? VPN's can definitely cause issues getting things to track. Same thing goes for any type of pop-up/ad blocker.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I'd try fully un-installing McAfee. Also, do you have any VPN running on the new machine (from McAfee or any other source)? VPN's can definitely cause issues getting things to track. Same thing goes for any type of pop-up/ad blocker.
Thanks for the tip. I am in London now and on a VPN with a U.S. IP address. I head back to the U.S. tomorrow, so I will give it a try without the VPN. When I use AA eShopping in the U.S. I never use a VPN when I'm home, but I used t on my old PC with no issue when I was on public wifi, both in the United States and overseas. Never had an issue linking to stores or getting points to post when on a VPN.

If McAfee is the issue, does anyone use an anti-virus program that causes no issues? Since I was with Norton before, perhaps I'll try that.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I never used this, but I'm having difficulty in getting credit for anything. My visits are recorded. I even added the Chrome extension and it shows as green, but here's what I've found:

1. I ordered new shoes from Academy.com, visit was recorded, but never got the transaction linked or miles. I emailed them, provided the receipt and they manually credited me the 78 LP, it shows as a manual customer service add and not a full transaction, but I did get my AA points
2. I ordered $36 worth of Wal-mart.com stuff last week. It now shows the order number in the order history with a date of April 3rd. I did email on April 5th, and they said I just need to wait, so not sure if they've done anything. A week later, it still doesn't show any data in Recent Transactions, just in visits.
3. I just ordered $150 from Osprey.com for a new bag, visit recorded, but no transaction data (yet).

It seems people say this stuff happens fast, but I haven't seen anything work yet.

Last edited by BrianV; Apr 11, 2023 at 11:57 am Reason: Shoes*
Old Apr 11, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Here's what I see regarding previous post's 1, 2 and 3:

These only show up in Visit history, not transaction data:

Old Apr 11, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
I am having a similar issue with Walmart. I ordered something from Tractor Supply and it posted the next day. Nothing yet from Walmart, it only shows I visited their site.
BrianV likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Walmart rarely tracks my purchases and I need to send a message to get the miles. Funny how the problems are usually with the same stores...Walmart, Dell, others.
CJ99 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:15 pm

Stack eShopping + Simply Miles ?

Is it possible to stack Dell Simply Miles (2 miles) with Dell eShopping link (3 miles)?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:22 pm

Yeah I originally thought my purchase from walmart didnt track because it was from a third party seller but they added the points very quickly after I messaged about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.