Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:59 am

sorry if I asked this before -- but do we have any data points of getting these same shopping portal bonuses twice? Barrons, WSJ terms seems to indicate its one per loyalty account but many of the wine clubs do not seem to have that provision (haven't looked at each one). I would be willinging to repeat what I did last March and just rip through the options that are at least cost neutral and then pray for GC.com to come back
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jl0810
sorry if I asked this before -- but do we have any data points of getting these same shopping portal bonuses twice? Barrons, WSJ terms seems to indicate its one per loyalty account but many of the wine clubs do not seem to have that provision (haven't looked at each one). I would be willinging to repeat what I did last March and just rip through the options that are at least cost neutral and then pray for GC.com to come back
Even if it is not spelled out clearly that you cannot get a signup bonus twice, I believe it is safe to assume that you cannot get a signup bonus twice.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:27 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
As a heads up, just know that that the mileage bonus for partners is only for LP. Heres the Motley Fool offer, with the 20% bonus applied:

ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:19 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by wutlol
As a heads up, just know that that the mileage bonus for partners is only for LP. Heres the Motley Fool offer, with the 20% bonus applied:
Bonus?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
Bonus?
Yes, look at the rewards you get at 60k and 100k LP. Note that each bonus only lasts 6 months.
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:28 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes, look at the rewards you get at 60k and 100k LP. Note that each bonus only lasts 6 months.
Usually when it says with select partners I never shop any of those vendors. LoL.

Good to know, though! Im already at 35k LPs so Ill be there shortly!
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
Usually when it says with select partners I never shop any of those vendors. LoL.

Good to know, though! Im already at 35k LPs so Ill be there shortly!
It's basically everything except RM and actually flying. They really don't want you to fly.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It's basically everything except RM and actually flying. They really don't want you to fly.
AA is a bank that also runs an airline... just like banks don't want you to go to the branch ever.

Any datapoints on the Verizon 10,900 bonus? Is that for just 1 line or is it per line? Might just sign up for 3 lines if it's for 3 lines and cancel, 32.7 LPs for not much work seems nifty (if that's how it stacks)
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Bixbee
AA is a bank that also runs an airline... just like banks don't want you to go to the branch ever.

Any datapoints on the Verizon 10,900 bonus? Is that for just 1 line or is it per line? Might just sign up for 3 lines if it's for 3 lines and cancel, 32.7 LPs for not much work seems nifty (if that's how it stacks)
I did this a while back and I was awarded per line, up to the 3 (out of the 4 I set up). I do remember the T and C specifying a minimum time you had to hold the contract before you could cancel; worth checking that out. This was a bit ago so its possible things have changed.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:59 am

I did this a while back and I was awarded per line, up to the 3 (out of the 4 I set up). I do remember the T and C specifying a minimum time you had to hold the contract before you could cancel; worth checking that out. This was a bit ago so its possible things have changed.
k will check TandC
wondering if I actually have to have phones for this or could just buy 3 lines, pay then cancel per the T/Cs
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:37 am

k will check TandC
wondering if I actually have to have phones for this or could just buy 3 lines, pay then cancel per the T/Cs
I got free phones for mine and was fine. I imagine you could wrangle together 3 cheap Verizon coded androids and BYOD worst case.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 11:49 am

I got free phones for mine and was fine. I imagine you could wrangle together 3 cheap Verizon coded androids and BYOD worst case.
Free phones from Verizon - guessing that'll require contract / cost to terminate though
Yes wrangling 3 old cheap android phones from eBay is likely the path
Need to do the math to make sure this is not a stupid idea still lol
Old Mar 24, 2023, 12:35 pm

Free phones from Verizon - guessing that'll require contract / cost to terminate though
Yes wrangling 3 old cheap android phones from eBay is likely the path
Need to do the math to make sure this is not a stupid idea still lol
You can get appropriate phones on Craigslist in most major metros for $20 a pop. So still should pencil out math wise, especially if you wait until youve got the 30% bonus.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Not sure that's going to work.

From the T&C:

Rewards not eligible on: prepaid phones, prepaid plans, business orders made through Verizon Business Markets , contract renewals (upgrades), bring your own device purchases, Verizon Fios, Free products, trials, services, memberships, subscriptions, Purchases made with a gift card, Gift cards, Gift certificates, Cash equivalents and Purchases made with coupon or discount codes not found on this site. Limits: Add-a-line: Limited to three (3) new lines per loyalty account number Special terms: Only eligible on new 5G Home service, phone service plan contracts and add a line once Verizon has confirmed your order payment has been processed and service has been activated. Please note that this merchant can only research missing rewards for 60 days past the order date.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
Not sure that's going to work.

From the T&C:
Good shout. I believe that means purchasing a phone that will later be added to a line, not setting up a new contract. I would double check but the term purchases doesnt seem to refer to a contract where you BYOD.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.