Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
This is frustrating. Had about $4,500 post manually in last few months but have $10K outstanding, some of which are being investigated and some of which I hadn't had a chance to submit inquiries on yet. They are almost all ones where it was tracked incorrectly due to it multiplying by GC quantity.

You can no longer select Giftcards.com as a vendor for purposes of submitting a missing mileage request. Seems like somewhere this is all just gunked up.

Need these to post before too long or I start missing status milestones and having trips where I'm behind where I should be. Not a disaster but frustrating. That said, was all nice while it lasted.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Its been months in the making, but I received an email today stating that Samsung has approved the points for a ~$4600 purchase made on October 6, and my AAShopping account now shows ~27K points as pending. This took several follow up emails from me over the past months.
Although they did not ask for these, as mentioned before upthread, I would highly recommend that anyone making a large purchase from any store take screenshots/photos with your phone, etc, of every step of the purchase process (from the time you see the points offer on the AAshopping website, take photo of the terms, a photo showing "x points activated," your final cart, your payment/payment confirmation, etc..." ... Just in case they are needed as proof, CYA!
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Under contact us.. you can select "merchant not listed" and type in giftcards.com
I sent a second follow-up for a pending request since Nov 27th (> month ago)
Got a prompt reply which indicated they were very aware of the situation and were working to fix the one transaction that posted too much, and the two transactions of mine that haven't yet posted.
I think they must be swamped with complaints from late Nov/early Dec.. maybe that's what prompted shutting the whole thing down... hopefully temporary.

Walgreens is now at 4 miles/$

Last edited by worldtraveler303; Jan 2, 2023 at 8:59 pm
Old Jan 2, 2023, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveler303
Under contact us.. you can select "merchant not listed" and type in giftcards.com
I sent a second follow-up for a pending request since Nov 27th (> month ago)
Got a prompt reply which indicated they were very aware of the situation and were working to fix the one transaction that posted too much, and the two transactions of mine that haven't yet posted.
I think they must be swamped with complaints from late Nov/early Dec.. maybe that's what prompted shutting the whole thing down... hopefully temporary.

Walgreens is now at 4 miles/$
Which walgreens gift cards work?
Old Jan 5, 2023, 11:05 am

Seems like this place has completely died since GC.com was removed.

Some good news for the rest of us, hopefully, Cartera must recognize Orthodox Christmas because today I had like 7-8 missing points disputes all come back in the green. I'm now almost entirely caught up back to October 2022 and only because of a particularly troublesome merchant.
ZenFlyer and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 3:49 pm

Walmart.com is done too today.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by sof_lance
Walmart.com is done too today.
Man... If this keeps up, people may have to actually fly to get frequent flyer status!
dineaux and AirborneLocksmith like this.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Man... If this keeps up, people may have to actually fly to get frequent flyer status!
On one hand, I'm going to lose status over these changes, looks like they're off of Southwest portal as well.

On the other hand, I'm actually going to have cashback this year going through other means.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Honestly, it will be interesting to see what many of the "big players" in this thread do for encore this year. Many of the offers they took advantage of to gain status this year have one time only or new accounts only language And some of the easy ones, like Motley Fool, have drastically lowered their offers. I suspect that some of the businesses that are on AA Shopping are finding this path is not generating new, profitable, ongoing customers.

Regards
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Honestly, it will be interesting to see what many of the "big players" in this thread do for encore this year. Many of the offers they took advantage of to gain status this year have one time only or new accounts only language And some of the easy ones, like Motley Fool, have drastically lowered their offers. I suspect that some of the businesses that are on AA Shopping are finding this path is not generating new, profitable, ongoing customers.
Agreed- Hopefully it will not become like Simplymiles, which currently has 88 offers for me... at zero stores I will ever shop at.
GVR Bill, nk15, RaindropT and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by Ned13

Some good news for the rest of us, hopefully, Cartera must recognize Orthodox Christmas because today I had like 7-8 missing points disputes all come back in the green. I'm now almost entirely caught up back to October 2022 and only because of a particularly troublesome merchant.
people are probably using the FB Group more and website tracking of changes, since many of the promotions only last 24 hours.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
There's a limit to how much wine I can drink and how many meal kit subscriptions I can deal with, so I may have to get on a plane soon.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Ned13

I'll get back into it with some wine/food subscriptions (and hopefully the return of gift cards!) after March 1st.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Yeah I have been thinking the same thing. I have been treating the eshopping portal as a way to boost status as actual travel starts picking back up. Has been very useful for improving status now, and hopefully 2023 start to feel more like a "normal" travel year, thus needing less partner spend.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Personally, I am willing to sacrifice all your outstanding points requests from gf.com in exchange of them coming back to the portal...Let's make a deal and wipe the slate clean and start over...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.