Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
5% off discount code (but not listed on eShopping site)

Giftcards.com is now running a 5% off promo on Mastercard gift cards: VETERANSDAY

This is not listed on the AAdvantage eShopping website and the terms say that discount codes not found there on not eligible, so there is no guarantee you will get your miles.

Still a risk I'm willing to take.
LittleBird and SuraBoy like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by njvandy
Giftcards.com is now running a 5% off promo on Mastercard gift cards: VETERANSDAY

This is not listed on the AAdvantage eShopping website and the terms say that discount codes not found there on not eligible, so there is no guarantee you will get your miles.

The risk is huge. If you use a code not on the site, nearly 100% it will not count for LP.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
The risk is huge. If you use a code not on the site, nearly 100% it will not count for LP.
That hasn't been my experience in the past. I will let you know what happens.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Not in my case a couple months ago. 🤷‍♂️YMMV
Old Nov 11, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Has anyone had an issue using GC's to buy MO's? I've been having problems with it at grocery stores in Las Vegas.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by njvandy
it says the 5% is good through the 17th, but they've not honored that in the past. Is it worth waiting a day or two to see if it adds to the portal?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Has not been my experience either, and in any case, the risk is immaterial. Worst case you bought $250 by spending $243 and didn't earn LPs. That is a risk I am happy to live with.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA, WN
I used the promo code today and it showed up in AA shopping portal already as being tracked. Also it's tracked as the price before the promo code. So 768 LP with $243 spend.
majikTib, LittleBird, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Rhomboid
I used the promo code today and it showed up in AA shopping portal already as being tracked. Also it's tracked as the price before the promo code. So 768 LP with $243 spend.
Technically, -$7 spend, since you still have the full value of the $250 :-)
majikTib, roadtriper and Rhomboid like this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
Has anyone had an issue using GC's to buy MO's? I've been having problems with it at grocery stores in Las Vegas.
These cards are issued by Blackhawk network and BHN has been blocking larger debit transactions at many of the larger chains used for MO liquidation. Been ongoing for a couple of years. Started with WM and then many Kroger branded stores and continued with other chains over time. You can head over to the manufacture spend forum to learn more. The blocks are from consistent and with some experimentation you may find a combo of store/card type that works for you. You can often run them for $99 debit transactions when blocked if you have more patience than me.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Nov 13, 2022 at 9:12 am
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Has anyone ever received their points for larger transactions that didn't initially track and then reached out to AA shopping to request them? I've followed up twice, and get generic responses about it being looked into with the vendor. I am awaiting about 28K points from a 5K purchase from Samsung on 10/6. I even have a screenshot of the airplane banner saying how many points I will be earning during checkout. I am starting to lose confidence, and feel like I was scammed...

Last edited by WannaTheater; Nov 12, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Old Nov 12, 2022, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Has anyone ever received their points for larger transactions that didn't initially track and then reached out to AA shopping to request them? I've followed up twice, and get generic responses about it being looked into with the vendor. I am awaiting about 28K points from a 5K purchase from Samsung on 10/6. I even have a screenshot of the airplane banner saying how many points I will be earning during checkout. I am starting to lose confidence, and feel like I was scammed...
Large purchases can take a while to post in my experience. I believe I have always gotten every mile I was due from AA shopping though a few things required follow up. That said there is always an element of risk in so far as not getting your points with any portal. This goes up if you haven't use that combo of vendor and portal before.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: United Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
new code: MASTERSALE

just tried the code "MASTERSALE" which is advertised on the website and it worked for 5% back on MC gift card - go go go!
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Bought 4 $250 Mastercard gift cards at once yesterday and succeffully applied the promo code. I got the tracking email shortly thereafter and already received an email stating I was receiving 3071 miles. Seemed to have defied all odds.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by thesyst3m
just tried the code "MASTERSALE" which is advertised on the website and it worked for 5% back on MC gift card - go go go!
Just like VETERANSDAY, this code is not listed on the eShopping portal website, so no guarantee of miles. Still seems to be working, but you may run into trouble if you need to ask for any kind of manual adjustment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.