Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Drugstore.com shutting down

Drugstore.com says both drugstore.com and beauty.com are closing on 9/30/16. I have relied on them for many years to obtain household items (paper towels, Kleenex, laundry detergent, dish detergent, etc.). Their prices were good, they had an extra 5% rebate, and they offered usually 2 or 3 bonus AA miles via the AAdvantage eShopping mall.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:42 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by anabolism
Drugstore.com says both drugstore.com and beauty.com are closing on 9/30/16. I have relied on them for many years to obtain household items (paper towels, Kleenex, laundry detergent, dish detergent, etc.). Their prices were good, they had an extra 5% rebate, and they offered usually 2 or 3 bonus AA miles via the AAdvantage eShopping mall.
Looks like it is only their drugstore dollars program that is closing.

On September 30, 2016, we will be ending our drugstore.com dollars™ program.

You can still earn drugstore.com dollars™ until August 13, 2016. After that, you can redeem all of your drugstore.com dollars™ in a redemption-only period from August 14 – September 30, 2016.

After September 30, 2016, all unused drugstore.com dollars™ will expire and the entire program will end.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 7:45 pm

Yes, I have. The only time I had a problem with points credit (out of probably 50 or more transactions) I had to call and provide an order number. The agent looked it up and I received credit after two or three days. It was a wine purchase at 7 miles/dollar.

Originally Posted by slhansen219
I made 6-7 purchases over the holidays and only got credit for 1... Which I did return and the points were removed. Nothing for the other purchases. I definitely went through the eShopping portal. I looked at the eShopping transactions today and, of course, the only transaction showing in the last 90 days was the one I returned and they took back the points I contacted Aadvantage shopping and now I have to supply them with all the receipts, etc. Has anyone gotten their points after sending in the receipts? Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:13 pm

Just an update: My miles from Neiman Marcus posted today, exactly a week after I bought it. Neiman Marcus also has a very lenient return policy, jus FYI.

Last edited by petey2428; Aug 9, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:28 pm

Alas, Drugstore.com (and beauty.com) now says that September 30 is the last day they will be open for business! As in gone, forever. I've been buying from them for years (and enjoying the Advantage Miles too). Now what? VitaCost is "ok" but doesn't have the wide variety of Drugstore.com. Any suggestions from others who love and need to replace this website with something else (that we can get miles from)?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by scubamom
Alas, Drugstore.com (and beauty.com) now says that September 30 is the last day they will be open for business! As in gone, forever. I've been buying from them for years (and enjoying the Advantage Miles too). Now what? VitaCost is "ok" but doesn't have the wide variety of Drugstore.com. Any suggestions from others who love and need to replace this website with something else (that we can get miles from)?
Walgreens said they're doing this to focus on the Walgreens.com site. Maybe they'll increase their product selection?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
My exact situation and reaction (which I posted about last month, when I first learned of the shutdown).

I've been using drugstore.com via AA E-shopping for many years for all household goods and OTC items. Toothpaste, paper towels, laundry detergent, you name it, if drugstore sold it, that's where we bought it. AA miles + free 2-day shipping via ShopRunner, plus decent prices and a 5% rebate. Awesome. The closest I can think of would be Target or Walmart, but they both offer fewer miles, no ShopRunner, and not the same selection.

Originally Posted by rrgg
Walgreens said they're doing this to focus on the Walgreens.com site. Maybe they'll increase their product selection?
It doesn't matter what they do since they don't participate in AA E-Shopping!

If you ask me, it's asinine of Walgreens to shut these sites down. They have super easy to remember domain names and a loyal following. How many of those shoppers can Walgreens hope to acquire? Especially with a dramatically smaller selection, higher prices, no ShopRunner, and no AA E-Shopping, good luck with that. In my view, Walgreen's should have continued to operate all three web sites, but they could have gradually merged policies and operations so they could have done all three with the staff of one.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
My exact situation and reaction (which I posted about last month, when I first learned of the shutdown).

I've been using drugstore.com via AA E-shopping for many years for all household goods and OTC items. Toothpaste, paper towels, laundry detergent, you name it, if drugstore sold it, that's where we bought it. AA miles + free 2-day shipping via ShopRunner, plus decent prices and a 5% rebate. Awesome. The closest I can think of would be Target or Walmart, but they both offer fewer miles, no ShopRunner, and not the same selection.

It doesn't matter what they do since they don't participate in AA E-Shopping!

If you ask me, it's asinine of Walgreens to shut these sites down. They have super easy to remember domain names and a loyal following. How many of those shoppers can Walgreens hope to acquire? Especially with a dramatically smaller selection, higher prices, no ShopRunner, and no AA E-Shopping, good luck with that. In my view, Walgreen's should have continued to operate all three web sites, but they could have gradually merged policies and operations so they could have done all three with the staff of one.
They'll probably make drugstore.com redirect to their site. From what I can tell you can earn AA miles at Walgreens.com, and other types of miles or cash.

https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/....htm?gmid=2866
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
After hearing about drugstore.com last month I gave jet.com a try. They have many of the same products, but it only earns 1 mile per dollar instead of 3. Seems to have a much better selection than Walgreens though.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:58 pm

Alas, Drugstore.com (and beauty.com) now says that September 30 is the last day they will be open for business! As in gone, forever. I've been buying from them for years (and enjoying the Advantage Miles too).
Originally Posted by rrgg
Walgreens said they're doing this to focus on the Walgreens.com site.
I too used drugstore.com heavily for many years. I'm sorry to see them go, but I doubt I'll move my orders to walgreens.com even at 2 miles / dollar. Amazon often beats their prices by much more than the 2 to 4 cents on the dollar that the miles would be worth.

Actually I'd already tapered off my use of drugstore.com since their prices had risen significantly after the WAG buyout.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:38 am

They should just put Walgreen on the Drugstore website since it is such a good one, easy to navigate, order, etc. I LOVE "your list"! So easy to reorder stuff. The Walgreen website leaves much to be desired, but I suppose I can find most things there. Lately, I've actually been ordering from Walmart's website (not a great one either), but have found stuff 1/4 the price of Amazon! AND free shipping or really cheap shipping. What a deal.

Ordered twice from Jet.com and guess what? Both orders were cancelled since "the items were no longer available". REALLY? Lordy, I'm afraid to mess around looking for things there now.

If Amazon gave miles, we could fly around the world twice! :-) But since I'm such a mileage freak, I'll often order from outfits that give out miles.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
If Amazon gave miles, we could fly around the world twice! :-)
Via United MileagePlus X, Amazon is 1 mile / dollar, helpful if Amazon is where you do a good deal of shopping but requires changing your earning and burning strategy from One World to Star Alliance.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:29 am

ACK, no way... we are both lifetime Plat... wish Amazon would add that to AA shopping!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:57 pm

Hi All,

I'm wondering what would happen if I return the item I bought from Neiman Marcus via E-shopping a month ago. I assume that they would revoke my miles, but what if I have already used my miles? What would AA charge me?

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by petey2428
Hi All,

I'm wondering what would happen if I return the item I bought from Neiman Marcus via E-shopping a month ago. I assume that they would revoke my miles, but what if I have already used my miles? What would AA charge me?

Thanks!
Any returns for products purchased via the AAdvantage eShopping portal will mean a deduction in your AAdvantage account for the items returned.

Cartera has perfected the return process to where they know when an item which earned portal miles has been returned-- including any promotional threshold spend bonus-- with nearly 100% accuracy--so it's not a matter of *if* miles for a return will be deducted from AAdvantage account-- but *when* it will actually happen.

In some instances this process can take up to 2 months-- sometimes even longer-- after a return occurs--- having had this personally happen.

Would the number of miles earned from the Neiman Marcus be greater than your current account balance?

While I don't work for Cartera or AA, I think it's safe to say, if your answer to the previous question is "Yes", and your AAdvantage balance currently has less miles in it than the number of miles originally earned on the returned item(s)-- including any promotional threshold spend bonus-- all of the miles in your account would be deducted, until where you have a 0 account balance-- perhaps others would be able to elaborate if it's possible to have a negative AAdvantage account balance as a result of such a case like this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.