Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:15 am

The DirecTV offer is very confusing:

It says: "DIRECTV STREAM - EARN 6,000 MILES"

Then it says: "The newly branded DIRECTV STREAM is the single brand for video streaming services previously launched by AT&T, excluding HBO Max. Service will continue to be available with no term commitment or hidden fees."

TO really confuse matters:
"
Mileage termsPlease note these terms & conditions: Special terms: Only eligible on the purchase of new DIRECTV STREAM Satellite service packages - DIRECTV Satellite CHOICE, DIRECTV Satellite Entertainment, DIRECTV Satellite Ultimate, and DIRECTV Satellite Premier. Must be installed with service activated for at least ninety (90) days."

What is "DIRECTV STREAM Satellite"????????

Its either DirecTV Stream OR DirecTV Satellite. STREAM has no commitment, which is touted on the Eshopping site, but Satellite has a 24 month commitment.

Has anyone ordered DirecTV stream and gotten the bonus?
Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
Correcting my earlier advice. I signed up 15 days ago to a DirecTV Stream plan. I know it was supposed to be a 90-day wait, but wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my money or time, and asked about it. According to the shopping portal's response, the streaming packages are NOT valid since it only states for satellite services.

I don't get it. DirecTV Stream is only for the streaming services. There isn't as far as I can tell a DirecTV Stream service. I had done this deal a year ago through Rakuten and it wasn't a problem. Maybe the rep was wrong. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, disregard my advice earlier about it working.
Originally Posted by ehallison
I haven't, but FYI it looks like you're locked into a 24 month agreement and not 90 days (with a $20 per month penalty for early cancellation).
Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
If I prepay for a hotel stay in advance, and it's non-refundable would I receive the AA LP's earned via AAShopping (Cartera) pre-stay or do you still receive them after your stay?
Post-stay.

Although I recently had a booking.com pay out before the stay for some strange reason. (so I cancelled )
355F1 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
The charges between Feb 16-28 will not post until your next close date (March 15). The status counter ends on Feb 28, 2023, so I would not count on any credit card points charged after your Feb 15th closing date.... They will count towards next year's qualification period.
Thank you for that answer. So you don't get miles and loyalty point after you make the charge, only after the statement closes. Got it.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 11:47 am

If I prepay for a hotel stay in advance, and it's non-refundable would I receive the AA LP's earned via AAShopping (Cartera) pre-stay or do you still receive them after your stay?
60 days after the stay and keep an eye. Cos booking can "forget" to pay sometimes.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sof_lance
60 days after the stay and keep an eye. Cos booking can "forget" to pay sometimes.
OK, I figured. And I know about Cartera and the tricks... Marriott never pays me without me chasing Cartera down. Cartera does always eventually pay but it takes so much effort it's truly annoying. Happens with other retailers too. At least Cartera pays eventually.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It is almost Halloween, shopping season is here, inflation bites, we should be getting some good extra mile offers at the portal soon, what is going on....
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:01 pm

OK, I figured. And I know about Cartera and the tricks... Marriott never pays me without me chasing Cartera down. Cartera does always eventually pay but it takes so much effort it's truly annoying. Happens with other retailers too. At least Cartera pays eventually.
Ha! now that you mentioned it, I did chase down some from IHG!
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PPro
800 miles for signing up for a USA today digital subscription today on the shopping portal. This is a $1 for 6 months offer that seems like it would be valid.

If you are in a state where you can cancel online or don't mind setting a reminder and having to be on the phone with some pushy agent to cancel the subscription, that is an easy win.

I tried signing up with a low balance gift card and it wouldn't take.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:21 am

I did my first and only giftcards.com deal. I bought $2k worth of gift cards on the last day of the 3x LP promo. it showed up on the portal as "store visits" complete with my order total which was about $2070 before coupon, and about $1980 after 5% promo (not exact numbers, but close enough). I used coupon code from Aadvantageeshopping site. Of course it never credited, so I emailed after the requisite 15 days. Four weeks later after a followup I got told my purchase didn't qualify along with the canned reasons why it wouldn't - bad coupon code, cancelled/returned etc. I pushed back and asked for specifics about why it didn't qualify, and informed them I'd be following up regularly. Lo & behold, today I did my first followup and was told that I was getting my LP after all.

I had something similar happen on a small order for wireless keyboard & mouse - I was told it didn't qualify along with canned reasons - I went through all the reasons and they didn't apply, so I pushed back and got my LPs.

I consistently have problems with orders NOT being credited,even though they show up on store visits, including the amount spent. Usually I can email in and get credit. These two cases of making excuses on the basis of T&Cs which don't apply to my order makes me go "hmmmmm....."

Have others had this happen?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by erdoran
I did my first and only giftcards.com deal. I bought $2k worth of gift cards on the last day of the 3x LP promo. it showed up on the portal as "store visits" complete with my order total which was about $2070 before coupon, and about $1980 after 5% promo (not exact numbers, but close enough). I used coupon code from Aadvantageeshopping site. Of course it never credited, so I emailed after the requisite 15 days. Four weeks later after a followup I got told my purchase didn't qualify along with the canned reasons why it wouldn't - bad coupon code, cancelled/returned etc. I pushed back and asked for specifics about why it didn't qualify, and informed them I'd be following up regularly. Lo & behold, today I did my first followup and was told that I was getting my LP after all.

I had something similar happen on a small order for wireless keyboard & mouse - I was told it didn't qualify along with canned reasons - I went through all the reasons and they didn't apply, so I pushed back and got my LPs.

I consistently have problems with orders NOT being credited,even though they show up on store visits, including the amount spent. Usually I can email in and get credit. These two cases of making excuses on the basis of T&Cs which don't apply to my order makes me go "hmmmmm....."

If you look upthread, there are pretty consistent reports of larger giftcards.com transactions having problems, including long delays, manual review, and not posting at all. General consensus is to stick to buying them $250 at a time, ideally spread over a few days. That what I've been doing and have bought $2k worth just about every month with no issues.
Venezuela-Miami and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

According to the wiki giftcards.com discussions should be made here: giftcards.com master thread (2018 onwards) You may find more help there.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
If you look upthread, there are pretty consistent reports of larger giftcards.com transactions having problems, including long delays, manual review, and not posting at all. General consensus is to stick to buying them $250 at a time, ideally spread over a few days. That what I've been doing and have bought $2k worth just about every month with no issues.
Yep. Made the mistake of buying two larger orders during the promo. Both got the initial form letter on appeal, I sent in screenshots and they've posted now about two weeks post-appeal. Have learned the lesson of do them in $250 increments.

Interestingly, I did have one order appropriately clawed back (had to submit it twice, the first time failed but the plugin thought it was good. The RDM clawed back, the LP didn't... yet.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT

Me. Exactly. To the day and dollar ($1947, but I get your point). I didn't get a reply from their customer service, just an automated email yesterday from the shopping portal saying the points posted. Oddly, my LP tracker on AA hasn't updated yet, though.

Also, to be fair, the CS rep asked me "do any of the above apply to your order?" when listing the T&C violations, and seemed happy to push if they didn't.
erdoran and Kawliga like this.

Last edited by linglingfool; Oct 21, 2022 at 4:38 pm
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Me. Exactly. To the day and dollar ($1947, but I get your point). I didn't get a reply from their customer service, just an automated email yesterday from the shopping portal saying the points posted. Oddly, my LP tracker on AA hasn't updated yet, though.
Not odd, it takes a few days (officially 3-5) after posting to the portal for it to then post to AA.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Acidity
Not odd, it takes a few days (officially 3-5) after posting to the portal for it to then post to AA.
I see the RDMs posted to my AA account, but my LP status meter hasn't moved. Generally I see the progress bar move when the activity posts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.