Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SFflyer20
Given the amount of work involved in buying and tracking all this stuff I'm not particularly interested in doing the VGCs without the discount.
As I haven't done any of these before, can you explain what is the difficulty.

It seems like a really good way to get 4 miles for every dollar you spend (1 mile for normal AA credit card spend and 3 miles for each gift card dollar). If you have an AA Executive card it can also help you get to the 10,000 loyalty point bonus.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
As I haven't done any of these before, can you explain what is the difficulty.

It seems like a really good way to get 4 miles for every dollar you spend (1 mile for normal AA credit card spend and 3 miles for each gift card dollar). If you have an AA Executive card it can also help you get to the 10,000 loyalty point bonus.
The upside is exactly as you said. The downside is that it's more work. You can only buy 250 USD on a card, so you are limited in their use slightly.

Many of us use them for utility bills, health insurance etc. (where you can overpay), to buy things below 250 dollars and use the balance to reload Amazon or use PayPal to split payment between 2 cards.

I have a spreadsheet that has
  • Date purchased
  • Card number
  • CVV
  • Expiration dates
  • Original balance
  • Current balance
  • Use (comment field where I write what I used it for)
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Antarius
The upside is exactly as you said. The downside is that it's more work. You can only buy 250 USD on a card, so you are limited in their use slightly.

Many of us use them for utility bills, health insurance etc. (where you can overpay), to buy things below 250 dollars and use the balance to reload Amazon or use PayPal to split payment between 2 cards.

• Date purchased
  • Card number
  • CVV
  • Expiration dates
  • Original balance
  • Current balance
I have the same, but I also include the Invoice Number that is generated when you complete the transaction.
And I take screenshots of the gift card.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:13 pm

That all sounds like great advice.

Much of my credit card use is at grocery stores and restaurants that don't sell gift cards on giftcard.com. What I gather is that there is no way for me to use a virtual visa card to for this type of shopping, since these virtual visa cards can't be used on Apply Pay as far as I know.

Originally Posted by Antarius

• Date purchased
  • Card number
  • CVV
  • Expiration dates
  • Original balance
  • Current balance
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
Is there any reason not to go all out and spend all $2k today in case 3x is gone tomorrow? I mean, sure the CC may get declined before hitting $2,000, but other than that, is there any issue with this plan? I plan to do separate transactions for $250 after learning the hard way that any more than that takes much longer to post. Although, I'm not in a hurry for points to post since I'm 33k away from Platinum Pro.
Only reason to wait is if you think the 5% discount might come back while still at 3x. Thats obviously a much better deal, but do ya feel lucky?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
That all sounds like great advice.

Much of my credit card use is at grocery stores and restaurants that don't sell gift cards on giftcard.com. What I gather is that there is no way for me to use a virtual visa card to for this type of shopping, since these virtual visa cards can't be used on Apply Pay as far as I know.
If your store/restaurant sells gift cards online, you can pay for them with the virtual visa gift card purchased from giftcards.com. I buy Costco gift cards online with the virtual visa gift cards. The only downside is having to wait to get the physical hard Costco gift card in the mail.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: You name it 😉
My order from vendor was lost in transit. The vendor reshipped under another order number without crediting back the original transaction. Also, Points received from original original order were deducted from my AA account. Now I am being told my purchase doesn’t qualify for points since the reshipment wasn’t handled through portal, which wasn’t even a possibility. Any ideas on how to handle this type of situation? I am thinking I should just return the reshipped order, get my cc credited and reorder. It’s only 3800 miles but it’s the principle. Of course these point would push me over threshold to Exec Plat and I have 3 trips coming up and would love the extra miles.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:44 am

Can't you just repurchase the gift cards now to get the points before your flights? What happens with the replacement gift card is completely irrelevant from their perspective.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dineaux
My order from vendor was lost in transit. The vendor reshipped under another order number without crediting back the original transaction. Also, Points received from original original order were deducted from my AA account. Now I am being told my purchase doesnt qualify for points since the reshipment wasnt handled through portal, which wasnt even a possibility. Any ideas on how to handle this type of situation? I am thinking I should just return the reshipped order, get my cc credited and reorder. Its only 3800 miles but its the principle. Of course these point would push me over threshold to Exec Plat and I have 3 trips coming up and would love the extra miles.
Were the Loyalty Points actually clawed back or just the miles? I've had a few instances where an order was cancelled and the miles were taken back but my LP balance didn't actually change.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Were the Loyalty Points actually clawed back or just the miles? I've had a few instances where an order was cancelled and the miles were taken back but my LP balance didn't actually change.
So far this year I've had about 15 clawbacks for varying things and not once has LPs ever been clawed back, just the RDM
dineaux, EkekoBWI, 355F1 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
I found that virtual Visa Gift Cards could be used as the form of payment on the WholeFoods app and the Krogerpay app (my local grocery store). Save it as a credit card and choose it at checkout. You just can't go over the amount or the card will be declined.

(But I am on an Android phone so YMMV)
LittleBird, nk15 and SuraBoy like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by AirricK11
So far this year I've had about 15 clawbacks for varying things and not once has LPs ever been clawed back, just the RDM
Oh, that's very interesting that LPs are not taken away.

Originally Posted by Cheynewalk
I found that virtual Visa Gift Cards could be used as the form of payment on the WholeFoods app and the Krogerpay app (my local grocery store). Save it as a credit card and choose it at checkout. You just can't go over the amount or the card will be declined.
(But I am on an Android phone so YMMV)
Interesting. Has anyone tried this on an iphone with the Whole Foods app. Seems like it should work the same as an android. I know you can't use the virtual visa on ApplePay, but the Whole Foods app should work?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:33 am

DirecTV Stream 6200 miles offer

Has anyone seen a higher offer than the current 6200 miles for getting DirecTV stream for 90 days?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Oh, that's very interesting that LPs are not taken away.
I have experience the same. Vendor canceled an order, refunded the money. Miles were reversed but LPs were not.

That said, don't count on that remaining for your status. AA is known for doing sweeps later and fixing thing, even many months after the fact. They could easily reconcile it.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: AA, WN
Just imagine buying a $250 VGC and forget using it. There are tons of unintentional human or system errors that can cause you to forget about a purchase, and that’s why I always tried to keep a log of all gift cards I have bought/used. I also keep a log of all hotel refunds after cancellations.

This is certainly time-consuming. At some point it might become too much but right now I’m still enjoying doing this points/miles/cashback game.
SFflyer20 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.