Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:30 pm

I placed 2 orders for Saks physical gift cards on 2/19, when AA had 15x. I've done 3-4 previous orders of Saks gift cards via AA, and always got AA miles in about 1 week. On 2/19, I placed one order from home mid-day for $1600 (4x $400 gc), then placed another order in the evening from my work computer ($500 gc). When I check AA shopping site today, the AA miles for the $500 purchase have posted, but not the $1600 purchase. This is weird because all my previous purchases have always been via the home computer using the same browser I used this time. I always clear cookies before and afterward. I also made the $1600 purchase about 7 hours earlier than the $500 one, if that means anything. In the past, I've noticed payouts for orders placed on the same day always post on the same day. This is 24K miles on the line here. Unfortunately, I can't write to Cartera because this was a gift card purchase.

Last edited by DaveInLA; Feb 27, 2015 at 1:04 am
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
It seems to either work great, or the points fall into a black hole void. There is no obvious reason for the glitches, but they are very slow to resolve any issues.

Suggestions: Escalate your Cartera claim, post a complaint on Twitter or Facebook, or file a claim with the BBB.
The miles have posted! Less than a week after the second CS response.

Now, will it be worth the hassle to do this again...?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:43 am

Got ANOTHER email from Cartera, this one from a 'Miguel,' saying that he'd investigated my query and found that the miles were deposited. Which...of course they were, finally! I have to conclude that the internal communications at Cartera are quite confused.

Then I got an email from them asking me if I would complete a Customer Satisfaction survey on their service.

You bet I will! ;- )
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:10 am

I mentioned above that I didn't get any miles for one particular large Saks gift card order (24K!!!). Oddly enough, I did get miles for another Saks gift card order placed the same day. I don't know why this one fell through. It's been 3 weeks now. Saks usually posts the miles/cash back in 1 week based on my experience (about 5-7 orders over past few months), so I doubt they'll post at this point. I did take screenshots at every screen. The portal does say that miles aren't give for GC purchases. Is it worth contacting Cartera?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
How quickly can I expect miles to post after a purchase? If I buy today will I have them by the end of the month?

I am trying to top off my account to book some MileSaaver award tickets for the fall. I am waiting on a 50K credit card signup bonus that will post when my statement closes in a couple weeks. That will still leave me about 3000 miles short of what I need. I was already planning on picking up a new bag from eBags (7X) and I figured a couple store gift cards would put me over the top.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by tev9999
How quickly can I expect miles to post after a purchase? If I buy today will I have them by the end of the month?

I am trying to top off my account to book some MileSaaver award tickets for the fall. I am waiting on a 50K credit card signup bonus that will post when my statement closes in a couple weeks. That will still leave me about 3000 miles short of what I need. I was already planning on picking up a new bag from eBags (7X) and I figured a couple store gift cards would put me over the top.
Hello. Did you ever get your miles? I just missed on the ebags 16X b/c I wasn't certain whether/not the miles were posting.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
eShopping...does it work for anybody? How?

I have tried eShopping a couple of times. I access a store via the eShopping link but then I have to login to the store itself to purchase.
How can I get eShopping AAward points once I've logged into the customer site?...Seems that the customer site would have no knowledge of the original eShopping portal.
What am I missing?
Old May 3, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Not sure of the way the data programming works but for the most part, as long as you log into the e-shopping portal first, the points post.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Has worked for me, remember to turn ad-block off.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
How can I get eShopping AAward points once I've logged into the customer site?...Seems that the customer site would have no knowledge of the original eShopping portal.
If it's like any other affiliate marketing: you follow a link from the eShopping site, which has a specific piece of code (usually you can see it in the URL). Due to this, the site where you 'land' knows to set a little flag on your shopping session (usually through what's called a cookie), so that the shop knows that they've got to give a little kickback to the affiliate (including your FF# in the transaction), so that AA can give you your miles.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:33 pm

So I am new to this eshopping too. I signed up and there was a bonus for up to 2250 miles (depending on how much you spent). Is this bonus something that happens often? I want to sign my wife up, but there is no bonus now. Trying to figure out if we should hold off...
Thanks!
Old May 6, 2015, 7:21 pm

Also, from reading previous posts, are you able to buy a gift card (let's say to Sear's, at 10mi/$), then use it to online shop and effectively 'double dip?' I thought the links claim you can not earn miles for gift cards, but then again, there are links to buy gift cards.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by slhansen219
I made 6-7 purchases over the holidays and only got credit for 1... Which I did return and the points were removed. Nothing for the other purchases. I definitely went through the eShopping portal. I looked at the eShopping transactions today and, of course, the only transaction showing in the last 90 days was the one I returned and they took back the points I contacted Aadvantage shopping and now I have to supply them with all the receipts, etc. Has anyone gotten their points after sending in the receipts? Thanks
They are the worse website, they do answer your e-mail, they have no complaint line & they try to ignore you as much as possible, you have to e-mail them several time to get your miles & eventually you will
Old May 11, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Amad AlBadri
They are the worse website, they do answer your e-mail, they have no complaint line & they try to ignore you as much as possible, you have to e-mail them several time to get your miles & eventually you will
Old May 11, 2015, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by BigMouthStrikesAgain
So I am new to this eshopping too. I signed up and there was a bonus for up to 2250 miles (depending on how much you spent). Is this bonus something that happens often? I want to sign my wife up, but there is no bonus now. Trying to figure out if we should hold off...
Thanks!
They run bonuses like these 2 or 3 times a year. Usually existing members are eligible, so probably no harm in signing up if you can meet the spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.