Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:59 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by scubamom
They should just put Walgreen on the Drugstore website since it is such a good one, easy to navigate, order, etc. I LOVE "your list"! So easy to reorder stuff. The Walgreen website leaves much to be desired, but I suppose I can find most things there. Lately, I've actually been ordering from Walmart's website (not a great one either), but have found stuff 1/4 the price of Amazon! AND free shipping or really cheap shipping. What a deal.

Ordered twice from Jet.com and guess what? Both orders were cancelled since "the items were no longer available". REALLY? Lordy, I'm afraid to mess around looking for things there now.

If Amazon gave miles, we could fly around the world twice! :-) But since I'm such a mileage freak, I'll often order from outfits that give out miles.

Amazon used to give miles.......
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by davetravels

JUST NOW - ONLY 4 hours later, I got a response from a seemingly live person, that they will investigate my claim and get back to me. Not bad, on the day after a legal holiday!

Its not a holiday in their country... )\
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by arl
The entire site is a joke. I made a $275 purchase for 6 miles/dollar. There was an initial problem with it being back ordered, but it was fixed within a few minutes. AA never awarded me my miles and I have contacted then and complied with the paperwork they needed me send in 3 DIFFERENT TIMES. At one point I did request for a way to speak with a representative, and the QUICKLY responded that they do not have that service. It was within the same emails as with my prior issue and they never addressed it. Apparently AA only feels the need to correct problems that would directly affect them. They have terrible representation to their customers and no sense of responsibility. THIS ENTIRE PROGRAM IS A SCAM AND DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU OVERSPEND ON PRODUCTS THAT YOU CAN FIND ELSEWHERE FOR CHEAPER!!!!!!!! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS FRAUDULENT SITE!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had my disagreements with Cartera, and there is no recourse.

Lately they have gotten much better, and almost always I get an email saying my purchase is being tracked through the portal. The miles seem to credit a lot faster than they used to.

No you can see the sites you visit, and your order number shows up on your account as well. One thing I do is set up the purchase in the cart of whatever site I am buying from, then go through the cartera website (even if I already went through it) just to make sure the cookie is there.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
@flymonthly, thanks for the info on your experience. Good to hear it posted without issue in the prescribed time frame.

Went ahead and booked 3 hotels in one visit to the site via the portal link. Only received a new "transaction tracking" email on the first reservation. Canceled and rebooked the other 2 reservations as separate transactions, using the portal link for each one. Hopefully the tracking info comes across on those.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
The Mystery Bonus Event

Has anyone received the miles for this bonus yet?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:10 am

I tried using the portal for a few different stores today, for example Walmart.com. The intermediate page comes up correctly but then the final page is just black and never loads. I tried chrome, firefox, IE, and incognito mode and disabling extensions. This worked last week. Anyone else?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:01 am

Has anyone booked an IHG hotel through the portal? Appears to transfer you to the IHG site. Was wondering if you got both miles and the IHG points for the stay?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
I tried using the portal for a few different stores today, for example Walmart.com. The intermediate page comes up correctly but then the final page is just black and never loads. I tried chrome, firefox, IE, and incognito mode and disabling extensions. This worked last week. Anyone else?
Just used it for HomeDepot.com without an issue.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Has anyone booked an IHG hotel through the portal? Appears to transfer you to the IHG site. Was wondering if you got both miles and the IHG points for the stay?
Yes, you do.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:14 pm

Can someone report recent successes with eShopping and posting days? I found a post from 2015 that was useful where someone said PetSmart posted in less than a week, and B&BW a week, and Best Buy 2 weeks....

Can people please provide any recent experience, as this last data point was 2 years ago?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by alchemista
Can someone report recent successes with eShopping and posting days? I found a post from 2015 that was useful where someone said PetSmart posted in less than a week, and B&BW a week, and Best Buy 2 weeks....

Can people please provide any recent experience, as this last data point was 2 years ago?
Things seem quicker as tracking of the purchases has improved. FWIW, Best Buy posted within 3 days for me on several occasions
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:57 am

I will have some data points to share soon as I have made several purchases.

At Newegg.com, I had the transaction already listed as pending on the same day of my order! I'm not sure how long it will go from pending to posted.
At PetSmart.com, the transaction information is listed on the record of store visits, but doesn't yet show up on the transactions tab.

So:
store - order date - tranx info on store visit - tranx info pending - miles posted

Newegg - 11/8 - 11/8 - 11/8 - 11/15
PetSmart - 11/8 - 11/8 - 11/10 - 11/15
Best Buy - 11/8 - 11/9 - 11/10 - 11/15

All mine posted within about a week! So this is good news.

Last edited by alchemista; Nov 19, 2017 at 9:44 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:01 am

Is there anything you can do if the portal rejects your purchase? The site shows that I went to the store and I provided the email confirmation. They are declining the purchase because the merchant is saying that my purchase isn’t eligible for rewards but the item I purchased isn’t excluded from the terms on the site. The purchase is for over 5k aa miles.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: VX, AA, Amex Platinum,Amex Gold, HHonors Diamond , Marriott Plat Elite, Chase CSP
Hi All,

Long time reader, early poster. I'm trying to determine if my Shoprunner perk will interfere with the Catera purchase on ebags. I'm not in a giant hurry for the items, so i don't NEED the two day shipping, but I appreciate it. It's not a seperate code, but I can't tell if if causes problems. There's a bonus I'm trying to take advantage and after HOURS of reading here, have finally settled on new luggage.

I received a "tracked purchase" email from the aadvantage mall for Bed, Bath, and Beyond an hour or so after purchase, but no such confirmation from other ebags purchases or sephora. Does that vary by merchant? Thanks all for clarifying.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Deeloveli
Hi All,

Long time reader, early poster. I'm trying to determine if my Shoprunner perk will interfere with the Catera purchase on ebags. I'm not in a giant hurry for the items, so i don't NEED the two day shipping, but I appreciate it. It's not a seperate code, but I can't tell if if causes problems. There's a bonus I'm trying to take advantage and after HOURS of reading here, have finally settled on new luggage.

I received a "tracked purchase" email from the aadvantage mall for Bed, Bath, and Beyond an hour or so after purchase, but no such confirmation from other ebags purchases or sephora. Does that vary by merchant? Thanks all for clarifying.
I don't always get the tracking emails. It appears to be store specific. I have not had an issue with Shoprunner interfering. Go into your account on eShopping, and choose the recently visited section. As long as the store shows on the same day you purchased in this list, you will be fine. Worst case, if it doesn't post within 30 days, send a ticket in through the site with the requested details, and they will make sure it posts. As long as it appears on that list, I have never had an issue.

FWIW, their site is greatly improved since a few years ago. Most transactions post within a week. I have had 99% success of posting within this time frame without having to email in.
Deeloveli likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.