Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by modern
Actually, the IRS tried. As I recall they proposed taxing award miles to employees, adding it to your w-2, and there was enough of an uproar that Congress passed a law preventing taxation of frequent flyer miles. Back then, all miles were flight miles, so I think the tax-free BankDirect miles are an unintended beneficiary of that law.
I've never heard that account before, but it is certainly contradicted by all of the contests and promotions that are run by companies which give out "large" prizes in airline miles or hotel points and send out a 1099 for the value of those miles. I can't count the number of times I've seen threads about whether or not a prize winner has to use the value set by the company on the miles awarded.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
I've never heard that account before, but it is certainly contradicted by all of the contests and promotions that are run by companies which give out "large" prizes in airline miles or hotel points and send out a 1099 for the value of those miles. I can't count the number of times I've seen threads about whether or not a prize winner has to use the value set by the company on the miles awarded.
No Modern is right. They did try to tax miles and I would not be surprised to see them try again on this and anything else that moves. Our airline, hotel and car bills have layer after layer of taxes upon taxes.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse
No Modern is right. They did try to tax miles and I would not be surprised to see them try again on this and anything else that moves. Our airline, hotel and car bills have layer after layer of taxes upon taxes.
I stand corrected. Could someone please send me a copy of the law that says that frequent flyer miles cannot be taxed? That might come in handly someday if I win a big contest and get sent a 1099 for the value of those miles.

I guess I've been asleep at the wheel for the past 7 years on this board!
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I am going to go for this BankDirect deal on AA miles. Better than getting 1%-tax interest. Does anyone want to sent me a referral, please?

Edit: Referral no longer needed

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Sep 4, 2010 at 8:16 pm
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
I stand corrected. Could someone please send me a copy of the law that says that frequent flyer miles cannot be taxed? That might come in handly someday if I win a big contest and get sent a 1099 for the value of those miles.

I guess I've been asleep at the wheel for the past 7 years on this board!
I will correct myself. There is no law. The IRA tried to tax miles, caused an uproar, and basically has done nothing in the last 15 years to tax them. Key part bolded by me.

"Until the IRS issues further guidance, employers should be permitted to continue treating frequent flyer miles earned by business travelers as an intangible nontaxable benefit despite the lack of a clearly discernable income exclusion. The IRS has indicated that there is no current enforcement program regarding frequent flyer miles, and there are no instructions in the Internal Revenue Manual regarding the audit of such programs. Legislation was introduced in Congress in 1996 and reintroduced earlier this year that would exclude from income frequent flyer miles earned and awards received by business travelers. Passage of such legislation would be the most certain resolution to a problem that has existed ever since American Airlines introduced the first frequent flyer program in 1981.
IRS UPDATE - February 2002

By way of the recently issued Announcement 2002-18, the IRS has reiterated that there is not currently a tax enforcement program in place with respect to frequent flyer miles. The IRS will not currently assert that any taxpayer has understated his federal income tax liability by reason of the receipt or personal use of frequent flyer miles. Any future guidance offered by the IRS on the taxation of frequent flyer miles would be applied prospectively.

It should be noted that this relief from tax liability does not apply to travel or other benefits that are converted into cash, to compensation that is paid in the form of travel, or in other circumstances where benefits are used for tax avoidance purposes."

http://www.ssbb.com/index.php/publications/entry/24

More info and links here:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...x-treatme.html
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vgacolor
I am going to be sad when they remove the extra miles

.4 miles per dollar per month would make me liquidate my stock portfolio
Quick, book an award ticket.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:55 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Well, the extra line items are gone from the BankDirect side, so I suppose there's a good chance they'll be gone from the AA side by tomorrow.
not yet........ here's hoping
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone seen a partner deduct miles from AA before? I haven't.

Doesn't mean it's not possible. There's got to be a way.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:11 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
Has anyone seen a partner deduct miles from AA before? I haven't.

Doesn't mean it's not possible. There's got to be a way.
Yes, this same glitch has occurred b4 with BD. And after a short while AA.com reflected the correct figures, but with no reference that miles were added and then removed - it only showed the corrected posting.

Also I've had miles deducted from AAdvantage eshopping (for Nordstrom returns) but the PTD miles weren't adjusted.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:06 pm

My extra BD miles put me over 2 million. I was trying to time it so I would not cross over until January so I would have an extra year for my evip's. I am anxious to see if they change me to LT platinum before they take the miles away.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:31 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by awb824
My extra BD miles put me over 2 million. I was trying to time it so I would not cross over until January so I would have an extra year for my evip's. I am anxious to see if they change me to LT platinum before they take the miles away.
FWIW when the glitch happened b4 I honestly can't remember if the PTD miles on AA.com were adjusted when BD corrected the miles posted.... and it's the PTD miles that effect lifetime status....
Old Sep 6, 2010, 6:03 am

I just logged on this morning and I am platinum. It will be interesting to see what happens. I would have been there in a few months anyway.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by awb824
I just logged on this morning and I am platinum. It will be interesting to see what happens. I would have been there in a few months anyway.
Stay, miles, stay!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card
I still have the miles and am now listed as Platinum also. When do they send the welcome package (and some bag tags maybe?).
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by modern
I still have the miles and am now listed as Platinum also. When do they send the welcome package (and some bag tags maybe?).

Extensive thread on crossing the million mile thresholds here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Welcome package takes about five weeks. Welcome email later this week. Congrats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.