FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1047553-questions-bankdirect-now-bask-bank-consolidated.html)

jss Jun 6, 2011 2:05 pm

Heads up re the debit card bonus of 5K--used the card 12 times each in April, May and June and called today to get the credit. Got a lame explanation that I would have to call back after 7/1 as they'll not process these until then as the requirement is 12X 3 months. :mad:

rrgg Jun 6, 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by jss (Post 16514156)
Heads up re the debit card bonus of 5K--used the card 12 times each in April, May and June and called today to get the credit. Got a lame explanation that I would have to call back after 7/1 as they'll not process these until then as the requirement is 12X 3 months. :mad:

I don't really understand the complaint. They post miles within a few days of the following month. So if you earned miles from some June activity you should expect them in early July.

jss Jun 6, 2011 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 16514210)
I don't really understand the complaint. They post miles within a few days of the following month. So if you earned miles from some June activity you should expect them in early July.

Not a huge deal but like the direct deposit bonus--once you do it and qualify you qualify--you do not have to wait for the end of the month. Seems strange for this you need to wait the month. Its not like I can un-qualify for the bonus.

josephstern Jun 6, 2011 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by jss (Post 16514466)
Not a huge deal but like the direct deposit bonus--once you do it and qualify you qualify--you do not have to wait for the end of the month. Seems strange for this you need to wait the month. Its not like I can un-qualify for the bonus.

Right, but you can understand that they might run a batch at month-end to deal with these automatically.

I'm in the same boat for the month.

Alfonso XIV Jun 6, 2011 4:15 pm

As of 5:08pm CDT today, miles earned for May activity have shown up on the BankDirect Account Management "Miles Earned" page.

josephstern Jun 6, 2011 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV (Post 16515068)
As of 5:08pm CDT today, miles earned for May activity have shown up on the BankDirect Account Management "Miles Earned" page.

Yup - I can confirm also!

Happy Jun 6, 2011 5:20 pm

I just started BD in late May for an account we initially opened in late March. They returned our check and the application because there was a place we should initial it (the account type chosen) but it wasn't highlighted on their signature card form sent to me. We went on a 6 weeks trip and I was wondering WHY the check written to BD was never cashed every time I checked our FIDO account...

Anyway, 3 weeks after we returned the properly finished paperwork, our account was finally opened, and the online access information finally arrived. I saw the 1K new account and 1K referral bonus showed up in my AA account yesterday, dd 5/31.

Reading the recent pages, I got a sense that every now and then BD has some glitch flaring up and everyone got a bit excited... And the handling of DD bonus seems BD has gone out of bound on the Privacy Law front. They should set a minimum amount that is deemed reasonable instead of having an arbitrary amount based on your "reported income" on the application. They are not lending people money for goodness sake! It is the first time I have seen Income info is required when opening a checking account, let alone it is being used to decide if you have made payroll DD correctly based on BD's interpretation.

Miles aside, the outfit is not gaining much of my confidence. :)

isle-hawg Jun 6, 2011 5:35 pm

Happy's experience is similar to mine. It has taken months to open the account - my paperwork also got kicked back due to lack of signatures (not) highlighted. The website looks like Fred Flintstone is the webmaster, and I get the impression that they have like 3 or 4 employees. Wondering (again) if this is a legit institution?

USAA also runs a online (only) bank - it is a first class run company - wish they offered AA miles. Thinking twice about moving more money from them to BD...

josephstern Jun 6, 2011 5:38 pm

Well, for me, I'll take the bare-bones, dated site, along with the good deal on the miles-in-place-of-interest.

Sure, the bigger banks have nicer, more complete sites, but hey, they're bad deals!

If it means I have to deal with an older website, fine. As long as my money is working hard.

Happy Jun 6, 2011 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 16515460)
Well, for me, I'll take the bare-bones, dated site, along with the good deal on the miles-in-place-of-interest.

Sure, the bigger banks have nicer, more complete sites, but hey, they're bad deals!

If it means I have to deal with an older website, fine. As long as my money is working hard.

the way I see it, it is basically buying the miles at the rate of 0.005 to 0.007 per mile when one can get 1.1% yield on an online account at C1 even taken into account the tax effect on the interest earning.

It is an OK deal but hardly an exceptional bargain. If AA still allows miles from BD to be counted for LT PLT after program change, that may still be worth it. Otherwise it is not worth a whole lot to us because we have enough AA miles for premium cabin travel in the next few years plus balances in several other programs.

Now if SPG has similar deal I would go all over it. :)

josephstern Jun 6, 2011 7:33 pm

I have a lot of miles also, but to me, and I think to most, $0.007 is a screaming deal for AA miles. That's $945 for Cathay RT to Hong Kong in first class. I'd take that any day (and have!).

ps9a Jun 6, 2011 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 16516014)
I have a lot of miles also, but to me, and I think to most, $0.007 is a screaming deal for AA miles. That's $945 for Cathay RT to Hong Kong in first class. I'd take that any day (and have!).

+1... at $.007/mile AAnytime awards become palatable.

seawolf Jun 6, 2011 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern (Post 16516014)

+1 to earning enough miles for redeeming CX F every four to six months.

For those who question If BD is legit, just look at the length of the BD thread. If you are still not convinced, then please cash out and save the miles for the rest of us.

seawolf Jun 6, 2011 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by jss (Post 16514156)

That really sucks. It probably mean the bonus won't show up until August.

jss Jun 6, 2011 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 16516354)
That really sucks. It probably mean the bonus won't show up until August.

Assuming you used in 4/5/6 then you can call in July and they should credit right away--sometime early July.