Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:33 pm

"While funds are on hold, interest will still be earned and accrued based on the deposited amount, however mileage is only calculated based upon the "Average Collected Balance during the Monthly Statement cycle." (Which is also disclosed on our website and in the New Account Kit's disclosures.) This means that mileage will only be calculated based upon the Average Collected Balance during the month, and since funds are currently on hold, they are not part of the Collected Balance until the New Account Hold expires."

From Bank Direct.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by rep109
"While funds are on hold, interest will still be earned and accrued based on the deposited amount, however mileage is only calculated based upon the "Average Collected Balance during the Monthly Statement cycle." (Which is also disclosed on our website and in the New Account Kit's disclosures.) This means that mileage will only be calculated based upon the Average Collected Balance during the month, and since funds are currently on hold, they are not part of the Collected Balance until the New Account Hold expires."

From Bank Direct.
It appears that such long holds (and consequently lack of accrual of miles) in the first 30 days of a new account are applicable only for check deposits?? ACH, wire transfers, cash and non-personal-check deposits seem to be available sooner?

http://www.bankdirect.com/pdf/Funds_Availability.pdf

Extract:
"PROVISIONING FOR NEW ACCOUNTS
In the event your Account is a new Account, opened 30 days or less, special guidelines govern our processing of your deposits. These special guidelines include:
• ACH Deposits: Funds become available to you on the Business Day we receive such Items.
• Wire Transfer Deposits: Funds become available on the first Business Day after the day of deposit.
• Cash Deposits: Funds become available on the first Business Day after the day of deposit.
• Cashier, Certified, Teller and Traveler Check Deposits: Funds for the first $5,000 become available on the first Business Day after the day of deposit. In the event your deposit was not made in person to one of our employees, funds for the first
$5,000 do not become available until the second Business Day after the day of deposit. In either case, the balance of the deposit becomes available on the ninth Business Day after the day of deposit.
• Federal, State and Government Deposits: Funds become available on the first Business Day after the day of deposit.
• Other Check Deposits: Funds become available no later than the 11th Business Day after the day of deposit."
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by garimell
It appears that such long holds (and consequently lack of accrual of miles) in the first 30 days of a new account are applicable only for check deposits?? ACH, wire transfers, cash and non-personal-check deposits seem to be available sooner?
I would like to know about the ACH rule as well.

I would also like to know if I can open an account if had placed credit freeze with all three bureaus.

Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
Yes, and YGPM for the referal.

Originally Posted by needmomile

I would also like to know if I can open an account if had placed credit freeze with all three bureaus.

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:01 pm

Thanks
Can confirm that an ACH transfer (from my savings a/c at ING Direct) over to my recently-opened BankDirect account (< 30 days old) was immediate and the funds were made available the next business day itself (and hence, would start earning miles). My initial $2,500 check deposit is still sitting out in the cold waiting for the 9-business day hold to be lifted; only $100 out of it is available in the balance.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Could I setup a joint account with my parents since they have the cash and I need the miles?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
Could I setup a joint account with my parents since they have the cash and I need the miles?
I believe so; during the online application process, if a joint account is opened, I remember something to the effect that the primary account holder's AAdvantage account is the one that receives the miles while all the other account holders can operate the account. Can't seem to locate any FAQ on their website upfront about this but, you can call them or start walking through the application process.

If you need a referral, pls let me know!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.

Thanks

Yep. As I recall BankDirect doesn't order a credit report with any of the large 3 bureaus. They use a smaller regional firm that checks credit reports. I remember when my wife was applying for an account they used a small company. She got a letter from a company saying she had to supply some information (as we don't live in the USA). She did and they opened it up shortly after that. I can't remember the name of the credit bureau but it wasn't any of the major 3.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
I'll confirm that you can set up a joint account, and have the miles deposited to the AAdvantage account of either one of the co-depositors. On the bank application, you specify which of the joint account holder's AAdvantage number gets the miles. It doesn't matter if your parents deposit $99,000 and you deposit $1,000-- all the miles can be directed to you.

On a side note, a joint account is an easy way to double (or triple) the FDIC insurance on your deposit. A joint account (with 2 SSNs linked to it) has $250K of insurance per depositor. I believe the $250K would be tripled for three co-depositors.

If you need a referral, send me a PM.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
Anybody tried BankDirect's CDs which earn much more than the Savings and checking accounts?

6month = 250mi /$1000
12month = 500 mi/$1000
2 yr - 1000 mi/$1000

So a $10000 6 month CD would earn 30k miles, instead of 12K miles with the checking account.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
I love Bank Direct.

Last edited by dave209; Feb 28, 2010 at 11:46 pm
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by somdave2005
So a $10000 6 month CD would earn 30k miles, instead of 12K miles with the checking account.
5k, not 30k. BankDirect miles are accrued once per Mileage CD, not every month as with Mileage Checking. The tradeoff is that CDs earn more than double the interest of Checking. (Still it ain't much.)
Old Mar 1, 2010, 6:34 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
where is the best wiki on bank direct?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Do you earn enough AA miles to make it worth forgoing the 2.2%-2.25% interest that is widely available from banks and credit unions?

I would be thrilled beyond measure to find 2% on checking/savings currently. Mr. Tours and I just plunked our cash in BankDirect for miles as we can't find a rate even approaching 1% right now.......
Old Mar 1, 2010, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeirdreTours
Do you earn enough AA miles to make it worth forgoing the 2.2%-2.25% interest that is widely available from banks and credit unions?

I would be thrilled beyond measure to find 2% on checking/savings currently. Mr. Tours and I just plunked our cash in BankDirect for miles as we can't find a rate even approaching 1% right now.......
What are people's thoughts on the security of online banking? When we called they said we would be responsible if our accounts are hacked. Is there a standard law about this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.