Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I agree your calculation --- my September posting (Oct.4) was 1.12 compared to 1.2 for August (Sept.2).

Kindly pass along their response. It clearly affects all of us here.... TIA!
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I just checked and I have been shorted 8,000 miles - that said they haven't posted to AA yet, so maybe the actual transfer will be accurate.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Based on my spreadsheet, mine was 1.1212. Interesting mistake, with it supposed to be 1.2 but actually (erroneously) being 1.12 or 1.1212. I just called, twice, unfortunately got newbies who were relatively clueless, asked to speak with a supervisor. Hold for 2 minutes, was told that Ms. Xxxxx (who I’ve spoken with several times in the past and who helped me with waiving a wire fee when Bask first started wire fees) would call me back, I’ll repost here with what she tells me.
I received a reply from them:

Thank you for your message. Our team is aware of the incorrect positing of mile for the month of October and we are actively working to resolve this issue. Once the posting of miles are corrected you will receive notification.
jbalmuth and Dr Jabadski like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Corrected today

The incorrect mileage deposit was removed and a correct one added yesterday, it seems. That’s reflected in my Bask account and in my AA account.

No communication from them on the correction but the math is right.
jbalmuth and Maayan like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now at 3.05%.

And I had just moved some money out . . .
Maayan likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Is there a maximum deposit limit to earn miles? On their website, the calculator goes to $200,000 max. DO you earn less/$ if above $200,000?
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bamin
Is there a maximum deposit limit to earn miles? On their website, the calculator goes to $200,000 max. DO you earn less/$ if above $200,000?
no. Based on whatever you put in.
Old Oct 15, 2022, 12:06 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by josephstern
Now at 3.05%.

And I had just moved some money out . . .
There are plenty of places to get equivalent or better yields. Of course there are many banks that still have very low savings account rates, and really don't give a hoot if you take your money out.

It's easy enough to move money around these days. And yields are generally the highest since, I think, 2005. An unfamilar experience for many of us (not that I haven't lived through much higher rates, but it's been a while).
Old Oct 20, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Now that I can get a one-year CD for 4.30% interest or use Bask Bank for a 3.05% interest rate for savings is getting 1.5 AA Points per dollar really worth my time anymore? What do you think?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Narrow Seat
Now that I can get a one-year CD for 4.30% interest or use Bask Bank for a 3.05% interest rate for savings is getting 1.5 AA Points per dollar really worth my time anymore? What do you think?
I’ve done some spreadsheet math (which includes taxes required, opportunity cost, redemption rates, etc), and I cannot find a justifiable reason where getting 1.5 AA points outweighs the higher interest rates. The “cost” of earning the AA points is more than the value you get when redeeming for flights.

IMHO, there are better ways to earn AA points.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:16 am

I agree. Only 1.5 miles a dollar does reduce the Bask Bank value (after tax is considered) and for most redemptions below the Cash option.

When Interest rates were lower, the AA miles were better value, but now they are out of whack.

This is caused by the fact Bask Bank has increased the Interest rate significantly faster (and sooner) than the rate at which they are increasing Miles.

My math says miles should be around 1.8 considering today's rates - so miles are a 20% discount to cash.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
We could discuss/argue the “value” question until the cows come home. Considering available savings/CD interest rates, high yield bonds funds dividend rates and share price fluctuations, tax bracket (almost 40% combined state and federal), Bask’s 1099 valuation, cash cost to buy AA miles and $$ and miles required for an international biz class seat, I personally still have almost all of my portfolio cash in a miles earning account at Bask. In my assessment, the $$ and miles required to buy a long haul biz class seat have skyrocketed relative to the increase in savings/CD interest rates.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 12:20 pm

My Bask Bank rate just went up to 3.54%
My Bask Bank AA account remains at a ridiculous 1.5 miles / dollar

Earlier this year
My Bask Bank rate was 1.75%
My Bask Bank AA account was at 1 AA mile / $

So today why is Bask bank not 2 miles / $ ??

Last edited by SteveinA2; Nov 2, 2022 at 1:24 pm
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The savings account is now reporting 3.54% interest.

Just as I was losing faith that they'd continue to lead . . .
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
So today why is Bask bank not 2 miles / $ ??
Historically, Bank Direct did not adjust the mileage rate to follow interest rates. I think the appealing solution is to open both accounts, and move money between them based on returns and needs. Today I have 96% in the Interest account, and 4% in the Mileage account.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
Can anyone validate my calculator is correct?

I tend to be extremely conservative and keep it simply by valuing points at 1 cent per mile. Everyones valuation is different. I simulated for 100k and keeping money in savings account seems better.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pichalite
I tend to be extremely conservative and keep it simply by valuing points at 1 cent per mile.
That might be keeping it simple, but the mileage valuation is the key here. Some people get more than 1 cent per mile, and in some cases, a lot more than 1 cent per mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.