Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Has anyone confirmed that Bask AA miles do NOT count as LPs? (actual experience)
Yes. Confirmed. Too bad!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by libralibra
If interest is over 2%, it doesn't seem like the AA mileage account is worth it anymore.
I spent some time running numbers yesterday, and I'm in agreement. Factoring in taxes, opportunity cost, redemption CPM value, etc., in each scenario reviewed, I would be "paying" more for the BASK miles than they would actually be worth while redeeming for travel. (I was only looking at AA-operated itineraries, not partners).

Last edited by WannaTheater; Jul 21, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:34 pm

For a 25000 mile award ticket, you're paying $425 (plus TSA fees) if your combined tax bracket is 20%, or $345 if your bracket is 40%. When the interest rate goes up to 2.5%, your cost is even higher.

rate | 2.02% | 2.50%
15% | $445 | $547
20% | $425 | $521
25% | $405 | $495
30% | $385 | $469
35% | $365 | $443
40% | $345 | $417
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
*deleted
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:16 pm

Bask raised it to 1.2mi/$/yr now, so the new table is:

Imputed cost of 25k miles at different tax brackets and interest rates:
rate | 2.02% | 2.50%
15% | $373 | $458
20% | $358 | $438
25% | $342 | $417
30% | $326 | $396
35% | $310 | $375
40% | $295 | $355
jef787 and LeastP like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Bask raised it to 1.2mi/$/yr now …
With this recent change, Bask is returning to the original BankDirect (miles) earning rate (of 10% of average monthly balance). Slightly different way to do the calculation, end result is the same.

BREAK

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
A milestone (non-Hyatt) (October 2021) I’m about to close the last of many BankDirect 24 Month Mileage CDs, feels like the end of an era of a longstanding rewarding experience. I understand that many people bash BankDirect (and Bask Bank) and I understand that the miles earned from these banks are arguably a good or a bad deal.

I’m very happy with my relationship with BD (and Bask). I became a miles millionaire and lifetime AA Plat primarily based on miles from BD. My customer service experiences with them have invariably been excellent. I’ve enjoyed many long haul lie-flat seats, to and from many fascinating destinations, by redeeming BD earned miles. Thank you BD, I’m a little sad to end my relationship with you, thanks for rebranding as Bask.
(June 2021) I’ve been among Bask Banks more zealous advocates here but in view of significant changes to miles earning, opportunity costs and redemption values I’m reevaluating the Bask Bank/AAdvantage worth calculation. I’m nearing the thought that it’s no longer “worth it”, … 270,000 miles I just redeemed for a JFK-TLV Business class RT ticket with a $6,500 cash price, …Thank you.
I’ve returned to the side of the coin which favors miles earning. The ticket I referred to above, for travel in September 2021, was subsequently cancelled. I’m ticketed to make the same flights this September: 335,000 miles when booked, 360,000 now, or $13,400. Miles cost has increased by 25%-33%, cash cost has increased by over 100%.

(I’m not debating the “would you buy the ticket for cash if not using miles” theory. Just pointing out that in the past 1-2 years the value of a mile has changed, regardless of how one values miles. No, I’d never spend $13,000 for an airline ticket, I’d rather risk a DVT and a week of back pain due to an economy seat for 12 hours. Precisely why I’m a saver of miles vice “earn and burn” which is also an entirely different discussion.)
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These guys are killing it! Now 2.20%.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by josephstern
These guys are killing it! Now 2.20%.
They do seem to be the industry leader in savings account interest rates.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
Makes it easy on my - I was chasing rates for a while which was getting painful. If they can stay in the lead, I can leave my cash there and be done.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
CFG Community Bank offers a higher rate (2.55%), but it appears this has created a problem: Due to volume – effective 8/11 we have temporarily suspended online account applications. All applications submitted prior to 8/11 will be processed normally, but may experience some delays. The system will be back up shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience. For any questions, please email [email protected].

With this recent change, Bask is returning to the original BankDirect (miles) earning rate
This week's email titled We’ve Updated our Account Agreement, Terms & Disclosures links to a document with new terms for Certificates of Deposit which Bask Bank does not currently offer. Bank Direct did offer both Mileage and money CD's, and I expect this means that Bask will soon do the same.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by mia
... new terms for Certificates of Deposit which Bask Bank does not currently offer. Bank Direct did ... expect this means that Bask will soon do the same.
That would be helpful in that it would allow more options. BD Mileage CDs (6, 12 or 24 month) had lower overall miles earning rate (than checking or MM savings accounts) but all the miles were posted upfront on the day the CD was opened (and those CDs had strict and steep early closure penalties).

Those upfront miles were particularly helpful in my achieving AA lifetime status 11 years ago, when I’d only flown on AA once or twice in the prior 30 years and UA was my preferred BIS airline. (When I got to 2M AA miles, fewer than 5,000 were BIS.) Nowadays AA is my most common BIS airline, biz class lay-flat for all transcon and international flights, using AA miles earned mainly from BD and Bask along with a bunch of CC SUBs. UA nowadays only to the extent of using AmEx Airline Fee Credits TB purchases .

Oh yeah, love the BD and Bask enabled AA JFK-EGE direct flight (which can be very expensive) in the winter instead of UA connecting in DEN or ORD, fewer weather delays, less chance of lost luggage/skis/ski boots. And of course now that I’m no longer chasing status (and quit smoking 20 years ago ) direct flights are always preferred to connecting flights.

To paraphrase “the immortal” Chico Escuela (and appreciate the alliteration) “Thank you berry much. BD and Bask Bank been berry, berry good to me. Thank you!” (Obviously hope this link and quote don't violate any FT rules.)

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Aug 17, 2022 at 10:51 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:09 am

Looks like they upped the apy to 2.53%, so I think I'm finally moving over.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like they upped the apy to 2.53%, so I think I'm finally moving over.
Very nice. I haven't received an email from them, but I do see 2.5% listed in my account.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:47 am

For anyone who has a BankDirect checking account, I recommend you end any recurring payments before you are moved to Texas Capital Bank. Then set up them again after the move. Maybe it won't matter, but in my case I was moved early and these caused a small problem.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by rrgg
For anyone who has a BankDirect checking account, I recommend you end any recurring payments before you are moved to Texas Capital Bank. Then set up them again after the move. Maybe it won't matter, but in my case I was moved early and these caused a small problem.
The promise was that bill pay would migrate seamlessly. Can you elaborate what the issue you had was?

BankDirect currently redirects me to secure.texascapitalbank.com/BankDirect; that site is showing me "Between Wednesday, September 21, 2022 and Friday, September 23, 2022, we will be transitioning you to Texas Capital Bank’s online banking experience. Beginning at 7 a.m. CT on September 21, your accounts will be temporarily inaccessible as we complete the migration process. On September 23, customers navigating to bankdirect.com will be redirected to texascapitalbank.com, where you can access your accounts with your existing BankDirect credentials."

My one monthly scheduled bill pay goes out on the 22nd of the month, so I'd rather not delete and re-add around those dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.