Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Only 1.61%? Figured they'd be closer to 2% this week.
I was wondering too, but I think the 1.50% was far above their competitors, so maybe they were anticipating the Fed's increase. I don't know what it was a month or two ago.

It won't surprise me if they start paying (lower) interest on the miles accounts, but it won't surprise me if they don't either. Say the market leaders go to 2.50% on savings and Bask goes to 3%. On the one hand, customers who would take miles at the current rate when the cash savings account was paying 0.5% or so might prefer cash at 3%. On the other hand, many customers who have a miles account might just leave it untouched.

I opened an interest savings account and put a small portion of my Bask balance into it. I'm retired and need to withdraw from my savings to live, and I have the money I need for that purpose in Bask right now, and that should last me about 18 months, so I'm hoping to not have to liquidate any equities until the market recovers. I'm sure it will. Of course I don't know when.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I opened an interest savings account and put a small portion of my Bask balance into it. I'm retired and need to withdraw from my savings to live, and I have the money I need for that purpose in Bask right now, and that should last me about 18 months, so I'm hoping to not have to liquidate any equities until the market recovers.
A little OT, but: Did you purchase any Series I Savings Bonds? Completely liquid starting at 12 months after bond-issue date (albeit with a small interest penalty for redemptions sooner than five years). And the interest is exempt from state income tax.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Bask is paying to be Featured on Bankrate.com. 1.61% puts them at the top of the Featured list, and 0.10 above the highest rate in the Show More > Additional Offers listing of banks which do not pay to be listed. If this is an important part of their marketing plan I expect they will tweak the rate based on competition, rather than action by the Fed, until they attract the amount of deposits they can profitably lend.
saaveraward likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by guv1976
A little OT, but: Did you purchase any Series I Savings Bonds? Completely liquid starting at 12 months after bond-issue date (albeit with a small interest penalty for redemptions sooner than five years). And the interest is exempt from state income tax.
I only did a week or two ago.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:14 pm

Has Bask Bank ever offered over 1 mile per dollar per year?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by LeastP
no
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:23 pm
mia

Originally Posted by LeastP
The predecessor checking account from BankDirect offered 1.2 miles per dollar per year.
josephstern and LeastP like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Only 1.61%? Figured they'd be closer to 2% this week.
Now 2.00% (APR) or 2.02% (APY)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Has anyone confirmed that Bask AA miles do NOT count as LPs? (actual experience)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:41 pm
mia

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Has anyone confirmed that Bask AA miles do NOT count as LPs? (actual experience)
Ms mia receives Bask Bank miles every month, and has earned Zero Loyalty Points in 2022.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:42 pm

If interest is over 2%, it doesn't seem like the AA mileage account is worth it anymore.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by libralibra
If interest is over 2%, it doesn't seem like the AA mileage account is worth it anymore.
It really depends on how much value you can get from your AA miles.

Also, remember that if you earn 2% cash interest, you will pay income tax on that full 2%. If you receive miles instead, BB will issue a 1099-INT on which the miles are valued at just 0.42˘ apiece for income-tax purposes.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Originally Posted by mia
Ms mia receives Bask Bank miles every month, and has earned Zero Loyalty Points in 2022.
Pretty sure it would be fairly widely reported here if Bask Bank earned LPs.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
I assumed- Just making sure...
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
State Bank of Texas is offering 2.5% APR for 12-month CD (minimum $25K)

https://statebnk.com/personal-bankin...te-of-deposit/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.