Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
If you still have a BankDirect checking account, it will be transitioned to Texas Capital Bank July 25th if you take no action.
I'm surprised why they aren't transitioning it to Basque instead I asked several times during the initial separation
Old May 25, 2022, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by vickh
I'm surprised why they aren't transitioning it to Basque instead I asked several times during the initial separation
One issue with Bask is no ATM cards. So I'm gonna let my BD checking get moved to TCB to keep the card, but I'll move my BD MM account to my Bask savings for more AA miles. I shoulda moved it to Bask long ago.
Old May 25, 2022, 1:27 pm

The PDF says you can convert it to a Bask account, but they don't offer checking.

I like BD checking for the ATM fee rebates. I'm waiting for TCB to say if I'll still have that feature.
Old May 25, 2022, 2:37 pm

The PDF says you can convert it to a Bask account, but they don't offer checking.

I like BD checking for the ATM fee rebates. I'm waiting for TCB to say if I'll still have that feature.
They don't convert you have to open a new account and do a balance transfer just like any other bank

seems strange that the defaultdoing nothing is Texas capital versus versus bask

Any sign up bonus referral for bask?
Old May 25, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
It is likely that the interest rate on the Bask savings account will continue to go up. While most bricks-and-mortar banks are much slower to raise deposit rates than the Fed is to raise the fed funds rate, online banks move much more quickly. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Bask in the 2.5-3.0% range by year-end.
Old May 25, 2022, 5:23 pm

They don't convert you have to open a new account and do a balance transfer just like any other bank

seems strange that the defaultdoing nothing is Texas capital versus versus bask
L
I don’t think it’s strange. The default is to convert a checking to a checking account. If the default converted to a bask savings account that would make no sense since your automated bill pay and atm would disappear. That could be a big problem.
njvandy likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The default TCB account is "interest checking". It pays 0.1% on your checking balance, which is a positive, but they only refund 4 ATM fees per month.
There's also "premier checking", which pays 0.15% and has unlimited ATM rebates, but you have to maintain $25K daily balance or there's a $25 monthly fee.

Either way, or if I close it altogether, it'll mean a new account number, and resetting bill pay, direct deposit, and ACH connections. Not the end of the world, but definitely a headache for those of us using BD as our primary checking account.

Last edited by swag; May 26, 2022 at 11:17 am
Old May 26, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by swag
The default TCB account is "interest checking". It pays 0.1% on your checking balance, which is a positive, but they only refund 4 ATM fees per month.
There's also "premier checking", which pays 0.15% and has unlimited ATM rebates, but you have to maintain $25K daily balance or there's a $25 monthly fee.

Either way, or if I close it altogether, it'll mean a new account number, and resetting bill pay, direct deposit, and ACH connections. Not the end of the world, but definitely a headache for those of us using BD as our primary checking account.
No. If you do nothing, you will still have the same account number and routing number after they convert to TCB. The PDF says that in bold underline.

Thank you for finding the 4 ATM fee refunds! I could not see it in the fee schedule.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
No. If you do nothing, you will still have the same account number and routing number after they convert to TCB. The PDF says that in bold underline.
Thanks, I had missed that.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by swag
4 rebates per month is what we get now with BD, so no change there. However, I don't see language that caps the rebate at $2.50 like at BD, so that's a great improvement if indeed no cap. Some ATMs charge fees upwards of $5. I also wonder if TCB will rebate ATM fees incurred abroad; BD used to years ago but then stopped.
vickh likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
It is likely that the interest rate on the Bask savings account will continue to go up.
It appears you are correct, 1.5% now.
josephstern likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
So with an interest rate of 1.5%, is the Bask Bank Mileage Saving Account still an attractive option? With a 1000 AAdvantage point signup bonus, and $50K parked for a year, one would be getting 51K AA points, while forgoing ~$775 in interest (before taxes).

Also, I read about a 40K signup bonus a few years ago. Does this return periodically?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
So with an interest rate of 1.5%, is the Bask Bank Mileage Saving Account still an attractive option? With a 1000 AAdvantage point signup bonus, and $50K parked for a year, one would be getting 51K AA points, while forgoing ~$775 in interest (before taxes).

Also, I read about a 40K signup bonus a few years ago. Does this return periodically?
I haven't seen a signup bonus in years.

The rest all depends on your valuation of AA miles. I'm taking the interest.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WannaTheater

In doing your calculations, remember that BB values miles at just 0.42¢ apiece for tax purposes. If you take cash interest, you will be taxed on 100% of that $775.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:03 am

Only 1.61%? Figured they'd be closer to 2% this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.