FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1047553-questions-bankdirect-now-bask-bank-consolidated.html)

vickh May 25, 2022 11:15 am

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 34279517)
If you still have a BankDirect checking account, it will be transitioned to Texas Capital Bank July 25th if you take no action.

I'm surprised why they aren't transitioning it to Basque instead I asked several times during the initial separation

Maayan May 25, 2022 11:56 am

Originally Posted by vickh (Post 34279561)
I'm surprised why they aren't transitioning it to Basque instead I asked several times during the initial separation

One issue with Bask is no ATM cards. So I'm gonna let my BD checking get moved to TCB to keep the card, but I'll move my BD MM account to my Bask savings for more AA miles. I shoulda moved it to Bask long ago.

rrgg May 25, 2022 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by vickh (Post 34279561)

The PDF says you can convert it to a Bask account, but they don't offer checking.

I like BD checking for the ATM fee rebates. I'm waiting for TCB to say if I'll still have that feature.

vickh May 25, 2022 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 34279953)
The PDF says you can convert it to a Bask account, but they don't offer checking.

I like BD checking for the ATM fee rebates. I'm waiting for TCB to say if I'll still have that feature.

They don't convert you have to open a new account and do a balance transfer just like any other bank

seems strange that the defaultdoing nothing is Texas capital versus versus bask

Any sign up bonus referral for bask?

redtop43 May 25, 2022 3:58 pm

It is likely that the interest rate on the Bask savings account will continue to go up. While most bricks-and-mortar banks are much slower to raise deposit rates than the Fed is to raise the fed funds rate, online banks move much more quickly. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Bask in the 2.5-3.0% range by year-end.

rrgg May 25, 2022 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by vickh (Post 34280144)
They don't convert you have to open a new account and do a balance transfer just like any other bank

seems strange that the defaultdoing nothing is Texas capital versus versus bask
L

I don’t think it’s strange. The default is to convert a checking to a checking account. If the default converted to a bask savings account that would make no sense since your automated bill pay and atm would disappear. That could be a big problem.

swag May 25, 2022 10:16 pm

The default TCB account is "interest checking". It pays 0.1% on your checking balance, which is a positive, but they only refund 4 ATM fees per month.
There's also "premier checking", which pays 0.15% and has unlimited ATM rebates, but you have to maintain $25K daily balance or there's a $25 monthly fee.

Either way, or if I close it altogether, it'll mean a new account number, and resetting bill pay, direct deposit, and ACH connections. Not the end of the world, but definitely a headache for those of us using BD as our primary checking account.

rrgg May 26, 2022 8:17 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 34281010)
The default TCB account is "interest checking". It pays 0.1% on your checking balance, which is a positive, but they only refund 4 ATM fees per month.
There's also "premier checking", which pays 0.15% and has unlimited ATM rebates, but you have to maintain $25K daily balance or there's a $25 monthly fee.

Either way, or if I close it altogether, it'll mean a new account number, and resetting bill pay, direct deposit, and ACH connections. Not the end of the world, but definitely a headache for those of us using BD as our primary checking account.

No. If you do nothing, you will still have the same account number and routing number after they convert to TCB. The PDF says that in bold underline.

Thank you for finding the 4 ATM fee refunds! I could not see it in the fee schedule.

swag May 26, 2022 11:17 am

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 34281903)
No. If you do nothing, you will still have the same account number and routing number after they convert to TCB. The PDF says that in bold underline.

Thanks, I had missed that.

Maayan May 27, 2022 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by swag (Post 34281010)

4 rebates per month is what we get now with BD, so no change there. However, I don't see language that caps the rebate at $2.50 like at BD, so that's a great improvement if indeed no cap. Some ATMs charge fees upwards of $5. I also wonder if TCB will rebate ATM fees incurred abroad; BD used to years ago but then stopped.

mia Jun 13, 2022 10:07 am

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 34280339)
It is likely that the interest rate on the Bask savings account will continue to go up.

It appears you are correct, 1.5% now.

WannaTheater Jun 17, 2022 8:41 am

So with an interest rate of 1.5%, is the Bask Bank Mileage Saving Account still an attractive option? With a 1000 AAdvantage point signup bonus, and $50K parked for a year, one would be getting 51K AA points, while forgoing ~$775 in interest (before taxes).

Also, I read about a 40K signup bonus a few years ago. Does this return periodically?

josephstern Jun 17, 2022 11:26 am

Originally Posted by WannaTheater (Post 34344384)
So with an interest rate of 1.5%, is the Bask Bank Mileage Saving Account still an attractive option? With a 1000 AAdvantage point signup bonus, and $50K parked for a year, one would be getting 51K AA points, while forgoing ~$775 in interest (before taxes).

Also, I read about a 40K signup bonus a few years ago. Does this return periodically?

I haven't seen a signup bonus in years.

The rest all depends on your valuation of AA miles. I'm taking the interest.

guv1976 Jun 17, 2022 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTheater (Post 34344384)

In doing your calculations, remember that BB values miles at just 0.42¢ apiece for tax purposes. If you take cash interest, you will be taxed on 100% of that $775.

saaveraward Jun 22, 2022 10:03 am

Only 1.61%? Figured they'd be closer to 2% this week.