Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:09 pm

jbalmuth, Do you have a Google Voice phone number (or a gmail account to let you create one)? Assuming BankDirect lets you set your phone to that number, the text code can be sent to your email, your phone, and the google voice app. Maybe BD implemented this due to the Russian threat on hacks, so it could be temporary.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I'm a 10-year veteran of BankDirect, but this newly implemented multifactor authentication on EVERY login makes it unusable.

. . . .

My issue with multifactor authorization is terrible cellular reception at my home --- a BankDirect authorization code requested 35 minutes ago just arrived, and has already expired. Yesterday I had to request codes from Chase six times before one arrived to my phone. This doesn't provide additional security, just additional hassle.

TIA for advise of recommended banking solutions.
I see that Bask Bank has this language on its site:

"Two-Factor Authentication

This adds a second layer of authentication when you log in to your account. If your mobile phone or computer is not registered, you’ll receive a special code through text to register."

Does BankDirect not offer you the option of "registering" your phone (or computer, if you have one) to avoid 2FA?

If you have a computer with wired Internet access, does BankDirect offer you the option of receiving your 2FA code by email, rather than by text message?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
[QUOTE=guv1976;34042734
Does BankDirect not offer you the option of "registering" your phone (or computer, if you have one) to avoid 2FA?

[/QUOTE]

The ability to "register" your device disappeared earlier this week.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
jbalmuth, Do you have a Google Voice phone number (or a gmail account to let you create one)? Assuming BankDirect lets you set your phone to that number, the text code can be sent to your email, your phone, and the google voice app. Maybe BD implemented this due to the Russian threat on hacks, so it could be temporary.
I have two Google Voice lines, and have now changed my BankDirect contact info to include one of those numbers instead of my cellphone number. We'll see if that works to generate an email (in addition to or instead of a cellular text).
Old Mar 3, 2022, 3:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
.... Maybe BD implemented this due to the Russian threat on hacks, so it could be temporary.
Perhaps:

Originally Posted by Bask Bank Email
Ensuring that your account information is safe is important to us.
With recent global events driving the necessity for an increased awareness around cybersecurity, Bask Bank will require multifactor authentication as an enhanced security measure when you log in to any of our online banking platforms.

When you log in to your account, please enter your credentials as usual. You will then see a pop-up request asking you to choose a method of verification to receive a secure access code. Once you choose the method of receipt, receive the code and enter it into the pop-up, you will be able to access your account.

We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions, please reach out to our Customer Support Team at 833.260.4320.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 3:53 pm

Unlike the recent change at BankDirect, I don't consider multifactor authentication at Bask Bank to be a huge issue --- I imagine most people logon to their account only once a month, to track that the expected AA miles were computed and presumably sent over to AA. Unlike BankDirect's checking accounts, Bask Bank's Savings accounts are not intended to have daily ins and outs that would require active, daily monitoring.

Last edited by jbalmuth; Mar 3, 2022 at 4:35 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 3, 2022, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I have two Google Voice lines, and have now changed my BankDirect contact info to include one of those numbers instead of my cellphone number. We'll see if that works to generate an email (in addition to or instead of a cellular text).
Check that forwarding to email is enabled in settings.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I don't have a Bask account but am thinking of opening one. The APY for an interest savings account is now 1.25%. I'm wondering if that has changed folks' decision to collect bonus miles with American. At 0.6 or 0.7% APY I would have collected miles, but now I'm thinking the cash comes out ahead. Of course it depends on what value people place on AA miles, but I'm wondering what people with accounts are thinking.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I don't have a Bask account but am thinking of opening one. The APY for an interest savings account is now 1.25%. I'm wondering if that has changed folks' decision to collect bonus miles with American. At 0.6 or 0.7% APY I would have collected miles, but now I'm thinking the cash comes out ahead. Of course it depends on what value people place on AA miles, but I'm wondering what people with accounts are thinking.
What is your marginal income-tax rate (Federal + state/local, if any)?

How much do you value AA miles?

And most importantly, have you bought any Series I U.S. Savings Bonds in 2022?
Old May 8, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by guv1976
And most importantly, have you bought any Series I U.S. Savings Bonds in 2022?
Exactly this. I bonds over 9.5% currently are a much, much better option than savings for long-term holdings.
Old May 8, 2022, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm moving from AA miles to 1.25%. My move is largely because I have more AA miles than I think I'll use in the next few years.

I seem to want to use United miles these days. I'd take UA over 1.25% currently.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Thanks guv1976 and thatmikereed. I have a newly purchased $10K series I savings bond and am looking to park additional funds in a liquid account.

My total (fed+state+city) marginal tax rate is around 28%.
Old May 8, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Thanks guv1976 and thatmikereed. I have a newly purchased $10K series I savings bond and am looking to park additional funds in a liquid account.

My total (fed+state+city) marginal tax rate is around 28%.
Let's say you were going to deposit $100,000 in Bask Bank. At 1.25%, you would earn $1,250 in interest after one year. After paying 28% tax on that ($350), you would net $900.

If you put that 100,000 into a mileage account instead, you would have 100,000 AA miles after one year. BB values AA miles at 0.42˘ each for tax purposes, so you would get a 1099 for $420; you would pay 28% tax ($117.60, let's call it $118) on those miles. So you would be forgoing $900 in cash interest, and paying $118 in income tax, to end up with 100,000 AA miles. The question then becomes: How confident are you that you could realize more than $1,018 ($900+$118) in value from 100,000 AA miles?
FlytheTail, njvandy and LeastP like this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 8, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Old May 8, 2022, 11:24 pm

any Bask referral deals? (I miss BD referral deals..)
Old May 25, 2022, 11:07 am

If you still have a BankDirect checking account, it will be transitioned to Texas Capital Bank July 25th if you take no action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.