Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dumbest EXP baggage tag question! [how to attach AA bag tags] (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2014, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

AA at various times has issued, or made available for sale, baggage tags. The mostly Admirals Club, status and Million Miler tags. These are plastic, with a long, separate clear or colored plastic loop to attach them with. Crew Tags (which offers some interesting baggage tags itself) posts clear instructions on using the plastic loop on their website: https://crewtags.com/CPL-Instructions
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few

How on earth do I attach them to my bags? I have the tags with the plastic strips. I've no idea how I am supposed to attach to a bag. Maybe I'm getting old or something but can someone enlighten me? Am traveling this pm and want to show off my status
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat
It's a secret IQ test

Hi there:

I had the exact same problem! My wife mocked me as she saw it as a secret IQ test and I was failing miserably. Finally figured it out.....

1. Start with card. Attach the loop to the card by passing the loop inside itself after you have put it through the hole in the card.

2.Go to bag. Put free end of loop through your bag hole. all the way up to the card. Here is the clever bit: the loop stretches! Pass the card through the loop by stretching it a bit. Pull tight.

Seriously, this had me stumped too!

Cheers,
Not-so-clever-DocD

Last edited by DocD; Jan 13, 2010 at 9:36 am Reason: Its should be it's...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
How on earth do I attach them to my bags? I have the tags with the plastic strips. I've no idea how I am supposed to attach to a bag. Maybe I'm getting old or something but can someone enlighten me? Am traveling this pm and want to show off my status
Sorry. You have failed the required EXP IQ test.

Please return the tags and black card to AA immediately.

Actually, it is a little tricky. And if you're putting them on checked bags, they may get torn off. I only use mine on carry-ons.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few
THANK YOU! Or maybe thank your wife

And yes I feel like I have failed some test and I should give up my status!

Tag fitted nicely... feeling very dumb
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
...feeling very dumb
Welcome to the club.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
As this question has been asked often, it is at best a tie for dumbest EXP luggage tag question.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by videomaker
And if you're putting them on checked bags, they may get torn off. I only use mine on carry-ons.
This is a critical point if you want to have the tags for more than one or two trips as they WILL get torn off of checked luggage.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
This is a critical point if you want to have the tags for more than one or two trips as they WILL get torn off of checked luggage.
Maybe eventually, but my husband is still using the tags he received in January 2004 on his checked luggage. Those tags have outlived quite a few suitcases.

(Hope I haven't jinxed him.)
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by videomaker
Sorry. You have failed the required EXP IQ test.

Please return the tags and black card to AA immediately.
And redistribute your VIPs to videomaker and myself for proper disposal.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
And redistribute your VIPs to videomaker and myself for proper disposal.
Yes, forgot that part. ^
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by DocD
Hi there:

I had the exact same problem! My wife mocked me as she saw it as a secret IQ test and I was failing miserably. Finally figured it out.....

1. Start with card. Attach the loop to the card by passing the loop inside itself after you have put it through the hole in the card.

2.Go to bag. Put free end of loop through your bag hole. all the way up to the card. Here is the clever bit: the loop stretches! Pass the card through the loop by stretching it a bit. Pull tight.

Seriously, this had me stumped too!

Cheers,
Not-so-clever-DocD
Thanks for your help, I needed it too!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I dont like the plastic loops cause they're too stiff. I use the the removable chain that some luggage tags come with.

Luggage tag chain

And here's a "How to" for luggage tags.

How to install Luggage Tags with Clear Plastic Loops

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Jan 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Old Jan 13, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Avis CC, AMX Plat, SVO
I saw one recently (don't recall if it was Platinum or EXP), that was attached with a large black zip-tie. Given that the stretchy, plastic strips leave lots of room to be "snagged" as luggage travels from the check-in to plane to claim, that looked like a pretty good idea to me! Worth passing along, anyway...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Step one is to cut the loop in half. Report back when that's done, and we'll tell you step two.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
I also use zip-ties instead of TSA padlocks when checking luggage. For the casual thief its takes too much time. For TSA who are normally equiped with bolt cutters, pretty easy.

BM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.