Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dstan
Yes, as you are flying the international leg JFK-FCO in Business, you have international class-of-service-based access to the Admirals Club at JFK, as well as at SAN.
I'm flying this Friday LAX-JFK in Y; and then connecting to JFK-LHR in J; on the same day (same ticket). I'm not eligible for AC access based on status (Gold)... But because I'm flying international business on the same day, I assume this means I can access the lounge at LAX with my JFK-LHR boarding pass? What if boarding pass is not available when I check in at LAX? Show the AC desk my itinerary?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by bzcat
I'm flying this Friday LAX-JFK in Y; and then connecting to JFK-LHR in J; on the same day (same ticket). I'm not eligible for AC access based on status (Gold)... But because I'm flying international business on the same day, I assume this means I can access the lounge at LAX with my JFK-LHR boarding pass? What if boarding pass is not available when I check in at LAX? Show the AC desk my itinerary?
Per aa.com:

American Airlines First Class and Business Class passengers traveling on, or connecting to or from an American Airlines international flight have access to the Admirals Club on the same-day of their international flight.
So, yes you will have access. I can't imagine why your boarding pass wouldn't be available the morning of a TATL flight - but in any event, the staff at the AC can access your itinerary and will see that you are in J for the int'l portion of your flight
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
I just put my older brother and his fiancee on a SFO-BOS flight (transcon) and decided as a gift to put them in first with some extra VIPOW stickers I had.

Now, normally on domestic flights an award ticket in first is booked in F (or was it Z?) but because I used a VIPOW the fare code is A. Should I assume that because the fare code is neither F or Z that they would not have any lounge access? I figure there may be an exception given that most people would never use VIPOWs on a domestic flight so AA.com may not list it as a valid fare class for access?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by Shinikenshi
I just put my older brother and his fiancee on a SFO-BOS flight (transcon) and decided as a gift to put them in first with some extra VIPOW stickers I had.

Now, normally on domestic flights an award ticket in first is booked in F (or was it Z?) but because I used a VIPOW the fare code is A. Should I assume that because the fare code is neither F or Z that they would not have any lounge access? I figure there may be an exception given that most people would never use VIPOWs on a domestic flight so AA.com may not list it as a valid fare class for access?
They will not have access. See the section on transcon flights:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ungeAccess.jsp

For the booking code information, see this entry in the Wiki:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ility_%28AA%29
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
Ah, should've figured. Sorry to have been redundant.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:07 pm

A similar question: I am flying on a coach award ticket from PEK to NRT on JAL (no first class or business class award seats available yet), then connecting to AA first class from NRT to DFW.

Question 1: Will I get lounge access in Beijing, based on my AA flight later in the day from NRT to DFW, despite my JAL economy flight from PEK to NRT?

Question 2: Will I be able to access the JAL First Lounge in NRT, based on my first class AA flight from NRT to DFW on AA, or will I just be able to access the Admiral's Club?

Thanks for your help with this!!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ksguenov
Question 1: Will I get lounge access in Beijing, based on my AA flight later in the day from NRT to DFW, despite my JAL economy flight from PEK to NRT?

Question 2: Will I be able to access the JAL First Lounge in NRT, based on my first class AA flight from NRT to DFW on AA, or will I just be able to access the Admiral's Club?
Yes and Yes. (At least according to the policies set out by the oneworld alliance.) Based on Class of Service access rules, since you're in F on a oneworld operated/marketed longhaul flight, you have access to all oneworld F lounges on your day of travel.)

(Source: I'd print this part of the oneworld website to take with you just in case you do meet resistance: http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...lass-of-travel. Most oneworld lounges are knowledgeable when it comes to granting access via oneworld elite status; however, we've seen situations where they're less familiar with class of service access and will occasionally deny eligible passengers. )
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:30 pm

Thanks! I really appreciate all the helpful info. FT is such a great resource!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Question Access to AC in MIA if connecting from AA to LA in J?

I'm pretty confident that I know the answer here, but there's enough doubt for me to ask the question...

I am a paid member of the Qantas Club, which provides access to AA and BA lounges regardless of class of service as long as my NEXT flight is on the corresponding airline (in this case AA), according to the benefits guide. Access after arrival is not mentioned.

I will be traveling DEN-MIA on AA in F and MIA-SCL on LAN in J (paid fare, not award). I have a seven-hour layover in MIA where LAN provides J pax access to the DL SkyClub.

Can I access the domestic AAdmiral's Club if I arrive on a domestic AA flight and connect to an international OW carrier?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:03 pm

After reviewing this helpful thread and AA.com, it looks like if you have an award ticket in Business class on a transcontinental flight (this would be SFO-JFK), you get access to the Admirals Club if this is a "U" fare.

However, I booked the ticket with British Airways miles, and I don't see a fare class listed anywhere on the receipt. Does anyone know if this should be a "U" fare?

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: Demoted to AA Gold
JL Lounge access in NRT when going from business to economy

I recently booked a mileage award for my mother, who is non-elite, from STL to BKK via ORD and NRT. She'll be in JL business ORD to NRT. However, we had to take a voluntary downgrade to coach for the NRT to BKK leg due to availability issues*.

Will she be able to access the JL lounge in NRT? I'm thinking no, because the applicable oneworld rules state:
Departing carrier - you must be flying on your next onward segment, on the same day, on a flight marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline AND
Frequent flyer tier status - you must also hold a frequent flyer card equivalent to oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status, OR
Class of travel - you must produce a First or Business Class boarding pass for the journey's international segment on the same day.
So since the NRT to BKK segment technically departs one day later than the ORD to NRT, the class of travel qualification may not be met.

Customers flying in Economy class on the domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling the longhaul segment.
I thought this might be applicable as well, but intra-Asian flights are not specified as qualifying in this manner.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks,
Izzy

*Actually business availability on the NRT to BKK itself is available, but somehow it is not available in combination with the STL to ORD to NRT flights. Not sure why that is, but I guess JL isn't particularly accommodating with AA awards. The worst part is I originally had a reservation for business class the whole way through, but had to cancel the it as I had provided the wrong last name.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by izzypoobah
I recently booked a mileage award for my mother, who is non-elite, from STL to BKK via ORD and NRT. She'll be in JL business ORD to NRT. However, we had to take a voluntary downgrade to coach for the NRT to BKK leg due to availability issues*.

Will she be able to access the JL lounge in NRT? I'm thinking no, because the applicable oneworld rules state:

So since the NRT to BKK segment technically departs one day later than the ORD to NRT, the class of travel qualification may not be met.

I thought this might be applicable as well, but intra-Asian flights are not specified as qualifying in this manner.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks,
Izzy

*Actually business availability on the NRT to BKK itself is available, but somehow it is not available in combination with the STL to ORD to NRT flights. Not sure why that is, but I guess JL isn't particularly accommodating with AA awards. The worst part is I originally had a reservation for business class the whole way through, but had to cancel the it as I had provided the wrong last name.
She should get lounge access at the NRT Admirals Club. Don't know about the JL lounges. She has been on an AA international flight in business that day, even though it didn't depart that day.

Keep checking for business availability on the downgraded flight. AA will not notify you if business class award availability appears, and they won't automatically move her up. ExpertFlyer alerts will work for this, or persistence.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
PLT transfering from AA First to BA Biz...First Class Lounge?

It pains me more than you know to admit that I have been downgraded from EXP to PLT on American Airlines. I have a flight in Z (First) LAX-LHR with a same day conx in BIZ on British Aiways. I've spoken to no less then three EXP agents who told me I would not receive first class lounge access at LHR..is this a new rule or have I been incorrect in thinking that arriving longhaul in first and transfering (either in y or J) still gives you access to a oneworld's first class lounge? Any help, advice, experiences would be fantastic...Thanks!!! My thought that arriving class of serivce allows you into any OWA first class lounge as long as there is a same day OW connnection....please advice!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by chayz
It pains me more than you know to admit that I have been downgraded from EXP to PLT on American Airlines. I have a flight in Z (First) LAX-LHR with a same day conx in BIZ on British Aiways. I've spoken to no less then three EXP agents who told me I would not receive first class lounge access at LHR..is this a new rule or have I been incorrect in thinking that arriving longhaul in first and transfering (either in y or J) still gives you access to a oneworld's first class lounge? Any help, advice, experiences would be fantastic...Thanks!!! My thought that arriving class of serivce allows you into any OWA first class lounge as long as there is a same day OW connnection....please advice!
According to the FT wiki, a Z ticket entitles you to Flagship lounge access, and therefore, Galleries First also.
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Lounges_(AA)

From the Oneworld site:
"Lounge Access by Class of Travel

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. (First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline).

Customers flying in Economy class on the domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling the longhaul segment.
"

Last edited by dstan; Feb 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm Reason: repaired link
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
I've read the entire thread, and amstill not clear (so apologies)...I also am not well versed on Z codes vs A codes, etc...

I am using miles for an Award ticket from SNA-DFW-CDG, First SNA-DFW, Business DFW-CDG (one class 763).

My wife will be with me, on a paid fare (I dont know the code), also First SNA-DFW, and Business DFW-CDG.

Will be both have lounge access at DFW on the way out (and at CDG and DFW upon return)? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.