Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
I am using miles for an Award ticket from SNA-DFW-CDG, First SNA-DFW, Business DFW-CDG (one class 763).

My wife will be with me, on a paid fare (I dont know the code), also First SNA-DFW, and Business DFW-CDG.

Will be both have lounge access at DFW on the way out (and at CDG and DFW upon return)? Thanks.
Yup. You can also use the AC at SNA, just show them your BP for your same day DFW-CDG flight (or CDG-DFW on the way back).
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
I wasn't aware there was a club in SNA, never noticed it- Thanks.

I just booked my award ticket which shows "First (F) " SNA-DFW, and "Business (J)" DFW-CDG.

However, on my wife's paid ticket, it says "First (A)" SNA-DFW, and "Discount (I)" DFW-CDG.

Can someone please explain what that means ; specifically, would it have any impact on lounge access? Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:27 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
I wasn't aware there was a club in SNA, never noticed it- Thanks.

I just booked my award ticket which shows "First (F) " SNA-DFW, and "Business (J)" DFW-CDG.

However, on my wife's paid ticket, it says "First (A)" SNA-DFW, and "Discount (I)" DFW-CDG.

Can someone please explain what that means ; specifically, would it have any impact on lounge access? Thanks.
F is domestic First AAnytime award. J is intl. Biz AAnytime award.
A and I are discounted, paid versions of the same.

You should have no problems with lounge access since you are both in premium classes going to an intl. destination.
Old May 11, 2011, 4:33 pm

I am travelling LAX-NRT in C, but my onwards from NRT-BKK is J will i get the AC access based on my "C" international itienary or will not be able to access that due to onward ticket in J.
Old May 11, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by saatx
I am travelling LAX-NRT in C, but my onwards from NRT-BKK is J will i get the AC access based on my "C" international itienary or will not be able to access that due to onward ticket in J.
J is also a business class inventory code on JL, but if that is a typo and you are in economy, you generally will have access based on a same day longhaul in business boarding pass, though the OW rules don't officially allow that exception except for domestic and intra-European connecting flights.
Old May 11, 2011, 5:17 pm

Yup its an economy as i can't use evips for non AA operated flight . Thanks for your advise sir

Last edited by saatx; May 11, 2011 at 5:20 pm Reason: typing
Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AAdmirals Club, HHonors GLD
Its possible I've overlooked the answer to this question but . . . I have a Business Class ticket from LHR to BOS so I know I'll have access to the AC in Terminal 3. Will I also have access to the BA T3 Galleries Club (not Galleries First) lounge? If so, is this preferred over the AA AC?
Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 3:30 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Northshore Bob
Its possible I've overlooked the answer to this question but . . . I have a Business Class ticket from LHR to BOS so I know I'll have access to the AC in Terminal 3. Will I also have access to the BA T3 Galleries Club (not Galleries First) lounge? If so, is this preferred over the AA AC?
Thanks!
Yup - since you're on a J ticket on a oneworld carrier, you'll have access to all oneworld J lounges. So in T3 there is the AA AC, BA Galleries Club, and CX J lounge.

(I've never been in the J lounges, but if the F lounges are any indication, my personal preference is BA >> CX >> AA. I find the ambiance, food, and beverages at the BA lounge much preferred over the AA lounge.)

At LHR, the AA, CX, and BA lounges generally just scan your boarding pass to let you in - so you in theory shouldn't run into any resistance. But it may not hurt just to print out the oneworld lounge policy to have with you just in case you have an untrained/stubborn lounge dragon:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...-access-policy

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...lass-of-travel
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AAdmirals Club, HHonors GLD
That's twice today JY! Thank you.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:18 pm

My wife & I are flying BWI --> MIA --> CUN round-trip on Z inventory (award tickets) with AA. We purchased the AA tickets with BA miles.

No relevant airline status. Credit cards include AMEX Gold Premier Rewards, AMEX SPG, Citi AAdvantage Platinum VISA, Citi AAdvantage AMEX.

Is there ANY way we can gain free access to a lounge? Our trip does not qualify as either transcontinental or international - but according to the OneWorld site, that exception is for "AAdvantage program only". Given that we booked with BA miles, is there some hope?

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by WDGGCC
My wife & I are flying BWI --> MIA --> CUN round-trip on Z inventory (award tickets) with AA. We purchased the AA tickets with BA miles.

No relevant airline status. Credit cards include AMEX Gold Premier Rewards, AMEX SPG, Citi AAdvantage Platinum VISA, Citi AAdvantage AMEX.

Is there ANY way we can gain free access to a lounge? Our trip does not qualify as either transcontinental or international - but according to the OneWorld site, that exception is for "AAdvantage program only". Given that we booked with BA miles, is there some hope?

Thanks!
Unfortunately no. That exception is for elite members, i.e. if you had Oneworld status on a carrier other than AA you would have lounge access on purely domestic itineraries.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Unfortunately no. That exception is for elite members, i.e. if you had Oneworld status on a carrier other than AA you would have lounge access on purely domestic itineraries.
Darn, was really hoping I could find a way around it. Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:25 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I'm flying in F on CX from JFK-YVR.

The chart on the CX site implies I can have BA lounge access at JFK, but I'm skeptical since it's only US-Canada (not generally considered international). Likewise, any access on the return in YVR?

Any experiences?

Last edited by MilesTalk; Aug 31, 2011 at 9:56 pm Reason: correcting VYR to YVR in first line
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by daveland
I'm flying in F on CX from JFK-VYR.

The chart on the CX site implies I can have BA lounge access at JFK, but I'm skeptical since it's only US-Canada (not generally considered international). Likewise, any access on the return in YVR?

Any experiences?
You certainly can use BA F lounge.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:57 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
You certainly can use BA F lounge.
Fantastic, thanks. Never would have thought I could on an intra-North American itin but I guess it's yet another novelty of redeeming AA miles for CX F on this route

I guess the reason is that only AA terms US to Canada as domestic while for other OneWorld carriers it is considered international?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.