Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:59 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flightmedic
Flying in AA metal in business class (no first class on plane). Will we have access to FL?
Based on class of service - no. Access rules here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...flagshiplounge

When it states "first class," they do mean first class, not "highest class of service offered."
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flightmedic
Flying in AA metal in business class (no first class on plane). Will we have access to FL?
Not based on Class of Service (Business), but those who have One World Emerald (AA Executive Platinum) status would be granted access on that basis (+1 guest).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

According to this page

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...nge-access.jsp

international flights of more than five hours in F and J on oneworld carriers get Admirals Club access. Since AA is a oneworld carrier, does this mean that YYZ-LAX (just over five hours) now gets access; that LAX-YYZ (just under five hours) does not; and that AA flights between the U.S. and Mexico City/Central America no longer get access? Or am I misinterpreting the language?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hope central America doesn't loose access....
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Interesting.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by guv1976
Since AA is a oneworld carrier, does this mean that YYZ-LAX (just over five hours) now gets access; that LAX-YYZ (just under five hours) does not; and that AA flights between the U.S. and Mexico City/Central America no longer get access? Or am I misinterpreting the language?
Look at the Lounge Exceptions. The first one notes no access between the US and Canada.
Originally Posted by Lounge Exceptions
Lounge access is not available if you’re traveling on American Airlines or US Airways solely within the United States or between the United States and the Caribbean, Canada, or Mexico (except Mexico City) unless you’re a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire customer. However, AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Platinum members regardless of Emerald or Sapphire status, are not eligible
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

According to this page

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...nge-access.jsp

international flights of more than five hours in F and J on oneworld carriers get Admirals Club access. Since AA is a oneworld carrier, does this mean that YYZ-LAX (just over five hours) now gets access; that LAX-YYZ (just under five hours) does not; and that AA flights between the U.S. and Mexico City/Central America no longer get access? Or am I misinterpreting the language?
Well, it looks like if this is new its a few months old. The Wayback Machine has one archive from April 28 this year and the wording is the same.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150428...nge-access.jsp
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Since AA is a oneworld carrier, does this mean that YYZ-LAX (just over five hours) now gets access; that LAX-YYZ (just under five hours) does not; and that AA flights between the U.S. and Mexico City/Central America no longer get access? Or am I misinterpreting the language?
Look at the Lounge Exceptions. The first one notes no access between the US and Canada.
Originally Posted by Lounge Exceptions
Lounge access is not available if you’re traveling on American Airlines or US Airways solely within the United States or between the United States and the Caribbean, Canada, or Mexico (except Mexico City) unless you’re a oneworld Emerald or Sapphire customer. However, AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Platinum members regardless of Emerald or Sapphire status, are not eligible
I was not able to pull up those exceptions from my mobile. But they appear to pre-date the language about five-hour-minimum international flights, so I still wonder if MEX and Central America lounge access is impacted by this new-ish language.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AC -SE, SPG-PLT, HH-G, Natl XcElite
AA lounge access just plain retarded

So I purchase paid biz class yyz to sjo connecting thru mia. I try aa lounge at yyz for first time ever and when asked where im headed, I say mia (it was early and I forgot to say sjo) and told that "oh sorry you dont get access"... But just as I was about to leave, the staff says "oh wait your boarding pass processed, so pls come on in" ...

Now I recognize that aa only wants to compare itself with the worst airlines in north america, ... But this whole buy a biz ticket and maybe u dont get access to a biz experience is just ridonculous!

Apologies to you experienced aa flyers of which this post is not news or value to you.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
So I purchase paid biz class yyz to sjo connecting thru mia. I try aa lounge at yyz for first time ever and when asked where im headed, I say mia (it was early and I forgot to say sjo) and told that "oh sorry you dont get access"... But just as I was about to leave, the staff says "oh wait your boarding pass processed, so pls come on in" ...

Now I recognize that aa only wants to compare itself with the worst airlines in north america, ... But this whole buy a biz ticket and maybe u dont get access to a biz experience is just ridonculous!

Apologies to you experienced aa flyers of which this post is not news or value to you.
No, it's merely the rules. These are summarized in the wiki.

Unlike many non-US airlines where lounge access is status and service class based, US (and Qantas) sell membership. This is a significant difference, and for us it means access is limited for class of service to certain flights.

Glad you were granted access.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:15 am

I have read the AA website on lounge access and i'm not sure if i understand it completely. I have a Upcoming flight booked Trough AA website in Business but no status on AA. I arrive in LAX from London and a few hours later i will fly to Las Vegas can i use the lounge in LAX before my last flight to Vegas (in First)?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:31 am

If your incoming flight from LHR is in business class then you'll get access to the AC based on this flight (not flying LAX-LAS in F as wholly domestic itineraries get no access)

Keep your boarding pass for the LHR-LAX flight as you'll need to show this to gain entry
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:03 am

Good to know then i will just make sure to keep my bordingcard.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
I'll be flying from LAX to MIA in First then onto GIG in Business...all on AA

Return flight is from SCL to MIA on LAN in Business and MIA to LAX in First.

Does anyone know if I will get lounge access in LAX, MIA and SCL? I've been using my Exec CC which I no longer have and just have no idea what the qualifications are. Thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:11 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slhansen219
I'll be flying from LAX to MIA in First then onto GIG in Business...all on AA

Return flight is from SCL to MIA on LAN in Business and MIA to LAX in First.

Does anyone know if I will get lounge access in LAX, MIA and SCL? I've been using my Exec CC which I no longer have and just have no idea what the qualifications are. Thanks.
Yes - you will have access in all the airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.