Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:48 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone had any recent experience gaining lounge access based on class of service for a non-operating airline's lounge? (For instance, accessing BA's J lounge whilst flying J on AA.)

Other FTers have pointed out that within the last few month or two, the "class of service" lounge policy on the oneworld site has reverted back to the old language simply stating:

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status.
(Briefly, the language said that one could only access the lounge of the airline being flown.)

Specifically, I'm trying to ascertain if a friend flying through LHR would be able to access the Galleries lounge whilst waiting for his AA marketed and ticketed flight in J.

Thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JY1024
Has anyone had any recent experience gaining lounge access based on class of service for a non-operating airline's lounge? (For instance, accessing BA's J lounge whilst flying J on AA.)

Other FTers have pointed out that within the last few month or two, the "class of service" lounge policy on the oneworld site has reverted back to the old language simply stating:

(Briefly, the language said that one could only access the lounge of the airline being flown.)

Specifically, I'm trying to ascertain if a friend flying through LHR would be able to access the Galleries lounge whilst waiting for his AA marketed and ticketed flight in J.

Thanks!
Yes, he should have no problem at all. Just needs to be the one in T3.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Yes, he should have no problem at all. Just needs to be the one in T3.
I think most of us believe that is still the case but JY1024 is asking if anyone has recent experience gaining access solely based on class-of-service i.e by a non-status passenger.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Hi,

I am traveling on an AA award ticket.

ZRH-LHR business (ba metal)
LHR-JFK first. (aa metal)

In LHR T3 can I use the Galleries First lounge?

I am not an Emerald OW.

Thanks,

Begemot
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by begemot
Hi,

I am traveling on an AA award ticket.

ZRH-LHR business (ba metal)
LHR-JFK first. (aa metal)

In LHR T3 can I use the Galleries First lounge?

I am not an Emerald OW.

Thanks,

Begemot
Yes, you should have no problem using the Galleries First at LHR T3. Just present your BP.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Global, Miles and More SEN,
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Yes, you should have no problem using the Galleries First at LHR T3. Just present your BP.
Thanks, Spacibo, Andriyko!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
OK, I read the threads I could find and I think I've figured it out. Please verify the following. I appreciate the responses:

My wife and I are traveling in First from DFW to LHR. (I know I can use AA lounge in DFW) We have a few hour layover and then connect on BA going to CDG. The BA flight shows Business class. I guess there is no First Class.

Question 1: Will we be able to use the BA business class lounge in the departing terminal?

Question 2: Since we are in Business on BA going to CDG can we each bring a guest who is also traveling on the same flight to CDG, except their in coach?

Thank you very much.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I think most of us believe that is still the case but JY1024 is asking if anyone has recent experience gaining access solely based on class-of-service i.e by a non-status passenger.
Did we get resolution on this?

I'm flying family members through NRT in J/F, and I'm curious if everyone can get into the JAL lounge.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by elkhornne
OK, I read the threads I could find and I think I've figured it out. Please verify the following. I appreciate the responses:

My wife and I are traveling in First from DFW to LHR. (I know I can use AA lounge in DFW) We have a few hour layover and then connect on BA going to CDG. The BA flight shows Business class. I guess there is no First Class.

Question 1: Will we be able to use the BA business class lounge in the departing terminal?

Question 2: Since we are in Business on BA going to CDG can we each bring a guest who is also traveling on the same flight to CDG, except their in coach?

Thank you very much.
As a matter of fact, you can use the BA F lounge (if open in DFW- Terminal D) and when in LHR, once again you can use the BA F lounge in the terminal you're making the connection to CDG..

"
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may have access to a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Customers flying in Economy class on a domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling on the longhaul segment.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:46 pm

Teemulfyer,
Thank you.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Customers flying in Economy class on a domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling on the longhaul segment.
I would not be so sure that it will be possible to invite guests in this case. The F ticket holder will of course be able to access Galleries F at LHR because they're connecting from OW F but they won't be departing in F so inviting a guest may not be possible.
elkhornne, do ask but the answer may be a 'no'.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 6:43 am

I would not be so sure that it will be possible to invite guests in this case. The F ticket holder will of course be able to access Galleries F at LHR because they're connecting from OW F but they won't be departing in F so inviting a guest may not be possible.
I'm pretty sure that if you are on a connecting segment, the passenger traveling in F on the long haul segment can guest 1 person to an F lounge during the connection stop.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:02 am

We are departing on BA from LHR to CDG in Business Exec, would that matter? According to AA the BA flight does not have First, just Business Exec and Economy.

Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by elkhornne
We are departing on BA from LHR to CDG in Business Exec, would that matter? According to AA the BA flight does not have First, just Business Exec and Economy.

Thank you for your help.
Frankly it wouldn't matter if you were flying economy- you'll still have F lounge access.

"Customers flying in Economy class on a domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling on the longhaul segment.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:04 am

Frankly it wouldn't matter if you were flying economy- you'll still have F lounge access.

"Customers flying in Economy class on a domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling on the longhaul segment.
Even if my US based departure airline is AA in First from DFW to LHR? And based on the rules for BA lounge access my wife and I could each bring in one guest?

Thank you

I should add I appreciate everyone's help. I made Life time Gold mainly in the US with one trip to Asia and 2 to Mexico. When it comes to the International Europe travel I'm lost. We have a couple coming along, but in coach, so if I can get them in a lounge I want to. Thank you again.

Last edited by elkhornne; Jan 24, 2013 at 8:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.