Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that don’t “stick” (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
relax. not a problem at all. Middle name on a ticket is optional first of all. Secondly, as pointed out above, TSA is not concerned about middle names.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IATA standard is two name fields. Some carriers such as AA choose to have a third field for a "middle" name. Others include the middle name in the first name field and others do not include it at all.

If your name is "Mr. John Edward Jones" so long as the ticket is issued as "John Jones" or "Johnedward Jones" there is no issue. As others note, this may cause OLCI systems to error out as there is not an exact match, but that is only an issue to the extent that one must then interface with a check-in agent at the airport.
NYC Flyer and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by langleyoaker
CX doesn't have a middle name field in their reservation system, so even if you have your middle name on your AA profile it won't show up on the CX reservation. Instead CX has a given name field which is used for both first and middle names. If you ask AA to put both your first and middle names in the first name field, your middle name will show up on the CX reservation. I have traveled on CX without my middle name on the reservation, however I could not OLCI as I got an error that the name on the reservation didn't match my passport.
What does OCLI stand for please?

This is what is so frustrating. CX has no space for a middle name on their website. Really? WTH? I did go in and added my middle name under my travel documents by just putting my middle name in the first name space tab. Like "John Edward" in the first name spot instead of just "John" (as an example this is not my name). Then of course "Jones" in the last name spot. I Hope that does not mess things up. The system accepted it.

I did call AA and they said they would email CX to have our middle names added. We shall see if they follow through. I REALLY appreciate each and every response to my question. I was in a full on panic (i mean these are very $$$ RT J tickets to Asia 2 that I was very lucky to snag up for our dates with AA miles). After speaking with CX and they were telling me the middle name HAD to be there, and I kept saying but you don't even have a place for it in your system!

I feel much more at ease after all these responses I just got out of the hospital 2 months ago after a very lengthy hospital stay (32 days) and this trip was to be my reward to relax/recharge. This was incident did not help my blood pressure! I will keep you updated on what happens. It also seems there is a spot on CX's websites under profiles to add passport and other info (as opposed to just putting it in for an individual flight by itself), but then attached to the actually flights it also has an spot to add travel documents?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
What does OCLI stand for please?

This is what is so frustrating. CX has no space for a middle name on their website.
OLCI = online check-in. When making a reservation on CX's website, the given name field is labeled: Given/First Name and Middle Names.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
just discovered my daughter had the wrong birth year on her account. Went to check in online for international trip and it wouldn’t let me because it didn’t match passport. I called and they said they fixed her birthdate on this reservation. Still can’t check in online. I assume I will be fine at the airport tomorrow but would feel better with confirmation from those with more experience than me.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:54 am

How long after called AAdvantange customer service to change the "Gender" before when I can see the update on the web? The agent said she updated (it was originally set wrong for some unknown reason) and i did even get an email confirmation account profile updated (although not specially called out what is the update). However, when I log-in a few minutes later I still see the wrong gender -- will the system need days to process this or maybe the agent failed to change it ? I need to book an award ticket for myself today (before the seat gone/rate up) and during the reservation process, I saw the gender is wrongly listed under the passenger and I can't change it because it ties to my AAdvantage account info (tried delete the passenger detail and re-add myself with the right gender, however as long as I have the AAdvantage number entered, it automatically changed to the wrong gender) - does it matter if I book with wrong gender or I should keep waiting for the update (or try calling again for update)? It is a domestic flight so at least I dont have to submit passport to match. Please advise, thanks a lot!
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by susieling
How long after called AAdvantange customer service to change the "Gender" before when I can see the update on the web?
I had a similar issue a while back. While I don't recall how long it took, it wasn't days.

I think you should be safe to book in advance of it being fixed. Also, I'm pretty sure I flew at least a couple of domestic flights with the wrong gender and absolutely no issues. But when TSA is involved, there are no absolute guarantees.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by mauve
I had a similar issue a while back. While I don't recall how long it took, it wasn't days.

I think you should be safe to book in advance of it being fixed. Also, I'm pretty sure I flew at least a couple of domestic flights with the wrong gender and absolutely no issues. But when TSA is involved, there are no absolute guarantees.
Thanks a lot for the info! Just checked now but the gender still is incorrect. Anyway, went ahead to book the ticket and hope there will be no problems.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Birth date wrong on secure traveler information on international ticket

I have two issues, one more trivial issue that seems to be fixed, and one that is more significant. I am seeking assistance with the more significant issue. The fist issue was an incorrect birth date on my AA online profile and Advantage account. I was able to fix that by submitting a copy of my ID.

Now the issue I am seeking help with. I have an upcoming trip to Mexico at the end of March. The same incorrect birth date is recorded in the "secure traveler" section of my passenger information. It won't let me fix it online. Also, I have spoken with AA reservations, AAdvantage, and website support, and they all say they can't fix it. I have been to Mexico twice in the last year, and both times I was subject to additional immigration screening upon return to the USA. Is the incorrect birth date perhaps the issue? ( I am assuming it was wrong the previous times as well.) Is there any way I can get my birth date corrected in my secure traveller information?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. FT has been an invaluable tool.

PS. I will have flagship lounge access upon return from MEX at DFW while I wait for my connecting flight. I would much rather spend my connection in the Flagship Lounge as opposed to an enhanced immigration screening. I can thank FT for even knowing i had FL access.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
This doesn’t really help you, but my understanding is that yes, a birthdate mismatch can easily get you SSSS flagged for additional screening.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
I hope I can get this fixed then. And I will certainly make sure this is right next time. Last time immigration took 30 minutes. I sat in a room for 15 mins then was sent to a separate area where I was asked 20 questions and my bag was searched. I was asked how often I went to Mexico. I was asked why I went to Mexico. I was asked who I knew in Mexico. I was asked what I brought back from Mexico. The agent kept asking me questions like, "so if I look in your bag there won't be anything but dirty clothes and coffee?" He asked me this four times. And then he finally opened it up, And there was literally nothing in my bag except for dirty clothes and a bag of Chiapican coffee that I declared.

Originally Posted by ashill
This doesn’t really help you, but my understanding is that yes, a birthdate mismatch can easily get you SSSS flagged for additional screening.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:22 am
CG

Originally Posted by ashill
SSSS is extra TSA screening. The poster you're responding to is concerned about Customs and Immigration screening. Two completely different things! The former is a minor inconvenience, the latter has literally led to people being forgotten and left to thirst to death in a cell.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Misspelled first name correction

Flying in in the morning and just saw my first name was misspelled, The phone agent was not able to help and said I need to talk to Check-in. How much of a hassle is it correct the error?
Old May 19, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
Flying in in the morning and just saw my first name was misspelled, The phone agent was not able to help and said I need to talk to Check-in. How much of a hassle is it correct the error?
How much of a misspelling is it?

Here is the master thread:

Old May 19, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
The last two letters of my first name were omitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.