Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that don’t “stick” (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by IzzyL
I've had this problem with my husband's AA profile. He is the fourth, so it showed Smith Iv.
His drivers license does not hav Iv but passport does. Last ticket I purchased I just let it out. However, I couldn't put in his AA umber. Previously, I've emailed them about changing profile and it sounded like a big deal and gave up.Im going to call to have them override and put in AA number.
If has elite status that will trigger upgrades and freebies, they can take care of it at the check in counter. If not, just enjoy your trip and then fill out a retroactive claim on AA's website a couple of weeks or so after the final flight.

https://www.aa.com/request-miles/for...90132978B91941
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:26 pm

Title from BA award on ticket name

For some reason, my mom chose "M" instead of "Mrs" as the title for her Executive account on British airways. She booked an award flight on AA using Avios and I noticed that the name on the ticket on the AA site transferred over as {First Name} M {Last Name}. I also booked an Avios flight on AA but my title "Miss" did not show up on my ticket. Will she have issues at the airport?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mochi0172
For some reason, my mom chose "M" instead of "Mrs" as the title for her Executive account on British airways. She booked an award flight on AA using Avios and I noticed that the name on the ticket on the AA site transferred over as {First Name} M {Last Name}. I also booked an Avios flight on AA but my title "Miss" did not show up on my ticket. Will she have issues at the airport?
No, my title is Lord.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
No, my title is Lord.
Love it, thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the government ID she uses at security has a different middle initial, I could conceivably see the TSA having a problem. Maybe have her get there an extra 30 minutes early in case she needs to see a ticket agent? Though only if that "M" shows up on the boarding pass.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
If the government ID she uses at security has a different middle initial, I could conceivably see the TSA having a problem. Maybe have her get there an extra 30 minutes early in case she needs to see a ticket agent? Though only if that "M" shows up on the boarding pass.
The M won't show up.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The title is meaningless and should have been abandoned years ago because no government that I am aware of uses it for any of its security purposes. You may book your ticket as Miss, Mrs. Ms. or Minister Plenipotentiary and it won't matter. It is ignored.

Additionally, the systems deal very well with the fact that different cultures attribute different orders and locations to "maiden" "married" and other name orders.

Jane Smith is fine if your name is Smith Jane. Jane Jones is not.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I have one where my first and middle names have been concatenated as one (Davidjohn) - will this create problems that I should fix now, or is the airport fine (Manchester, UK on AA codeshare with BA to LHR)?

Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hiima
No, my title is Lord.
I am Lord too. Can there be more than one? My favorite is when I get emails that start " Dear Lord".
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I have one where my first and middle names have been concatenated as one (Davidjohn) - will this create problems that I should fix now, or is the airport fine (Manchester, UK on AA codeshare with BA to LHR)?

Thanks
No problems. In fact that is how some airlines store names when you have a middle name. Most of the world consider first and middle names to be "given" names. Thus most consider the middle name and first name as one. Regardless as posted above as long as the name matches you're good. The order doesn't.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:19 pm

AA is holding up ticketing reservations as of late with CX due to middle name verifications. Wonder if CX will still let you fly if your passport shows a middle name but your ticket stock does not.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by brodielayne
Wonder if CX will still let you fly if your passport shows a middle name but your ticket stock does not.
No issue. My wife flies CX about twice a month. She has one name and repeats the name in the first and last name fields and has never once had any issues with CX. I flew last week with CX without my middle name on my ticket and no issue as well.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by brodielayne
AA is holding up ticketing reservations as of late with CX due to middle name verifications. Wonder if CX will still let you fly if your passport shows a middle name but your ticket stock does not.

we have this situation as well with an award ticket. I do think it is an AA thing and not CX.. the match logic is clearly not the same in both situations .,
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by worldiswide
we have this situation as well with an award ticket. I do think it is an AA thing and not CX.. the match logic is clearly not the same in both situations .,
Weirdly (knock on wood), I booked a CX award last night for travel in November, and it ticketed within 1.5 hours, the fastest ever by far for a partner award. FWIW, I don't have a middle name, but I do have three first names.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:48 am

Boarding Pass

Can you please help ease my mind....

I have gotten 2 different answers from AA, no response from them on a PM on FB and a 'canned' response to an email. Sigh

I am worried about my boarding pass NOT matching my passport.

When I look at my ticket it shows first & last name only (passport includes middle name).

Aadvantage account shows my first, middle and last name.

What problems will I have with getting on my flight to (Mexico ) SJD next week?

Thank you

Last edited by service1010; Sep 23, 2017 at 6:00 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.