Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 9, 19, 12:26 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that donít ďstickĒ (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Old May 16, 19, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
How do I get a name change on AAdvantage account

My last name changed from JONES to JONES-SMITH and I cannot effect this change online

(those are only sample names btw)
Old May 16, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: MR: PPE + AMB AA: EXP
Old May 16, 19, 4:00 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by caseminole View Post
My last name changed from JONES to JONES-SMITH and I cannot effect this change online

(those are only sample names btw)
Correct
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Middle name missing on tx

I booked tickets using my AA miles for a couple of OW redemptions for CX flights to Asia. LAX-HKG then HKG-MNL and of course the return. AA issued the tickets for my wife and I, but despite the fact that they have all of our personal information in each of our FF accounts including middle names, passport numbers, and known traveler numbers they somehow managed to issue us these tickets without our middle names. I am afraid when we show up at LAX for our flight to HKG that we may not make it past the TSA and if we do, would we then be allowed to board since our passport obviously have our middle names on them and not just first and last name that our tickets show. I am pretty stressed.
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go View Post
I booked tickets using my AA miles for a couple of OW redemptions for CX flights to Asia. LAX-HKG then HKG-MNL and of course the return. AA issued the tickets for my wife and I, but despite the fact that they have all of our personal information in each of our FF accounts including middle names, passport numbers, and known traveler numbers they somehow managed to issue us these tickets without our middle names. I am afraid when we show up at LAX for our flight to HKG that we may not make it past the TSA and if we do, would we then be allowed to board since our passport obviously have our middle names on them and not just first and last name that our tickets show. I am pretty stressed.
I have almost never had my middle name on my ticket or boarding pass, and I have always gotten through TSA and boarded all my flights. They usually don't pay that much attention. I wouldn't stress. You can call and get it added (IIRC) if it makes you feel better.
nancypants and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by FlyerWx View Post
I have almost never had my middle name on my ticket or boarding pass, and I have always gotten through TSA and boarded all my flights. They usually don't pay that much attention. I wouldn't stress. You can call and get it added (IIRC) if it makes you feel better.
It's not always easy to have the name added/changed on the actual electronic ticket record (sometimes there can be a fee). However, it really shouldn't be an issue.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31183948-post958.html
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I wouldn't worry about it. I've never had any issues within the US. Security in Hong Kong brought me back to the check-in to have them sign off on the ticket. Korean Air in Seoul made a comment about it, but they still allowed me to board.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:07 pm

CX doesn't have a middle name field in their reservation system, so even if you have your middle name on your AA profile it won't show up on the CX reservation. Instead CX has a given name field which is used for both first and middle names. If you ask AA to put both your first and middle names in the first name field, your middle name will show up on the CX reservation. I have traveled on CX without my middle name on the reservation, however I could not OLCI as I got an error that the name on the reservation didn't match my passport.
beachmouse likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
My tickets always show my first and middle names together with no space in the FIRST NAME field. Itís so weird that they canít fix it.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I would NOT mess with a successfully issued award ticket on CX.

If you try and force someone to fix it, next think you know, someone messes up...CX cant fix it....AA says its CX issue... 'No more award space"... I wouldn't mess.
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
Originally Posted by langleyoaker View Post
CX doesn't have a middle name field in their reservation system, so even if you have your middle name on your AA profile it won't show up on the CX reservation. Instead CX has a given name field which is used for both first and middle names. If you ask AA to put both your first and middle names in the first name field, your middle name will show up on the CX reservation. I have traveled on CX without my middle name on the reservation, however I could not OLCI as I got an error that the name on the reservation didn't match my passport.
And I want to say Iberia has no middle name spot but does have an optional spot for a secondary surname. The typical ticketing system for a specific airline probably goes back to the 1970s and reflects naming conventions of the typical passenger they had at that time. Adding additional name fields to reflect a more diverse passenger base during IT upgrades would cost an airline money without any real benefit to them or passengers, so best to just train GAs and call centers to accept certain name formats as acceptable, especially since name components can get squished together in all kinds of different ways as a ticket issued elsewhere is electronically sent to the operating carrier of the flight
Old Jun 9, 19, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
relax. not a problem at all. Middle name on a ticket is optional first of all. Secondly, as pointed out above, TSA is not concerned about middle names.
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IATA standard is two name fields. Some carriers such as AA choose to have a third field for a "middle" name. Others include the middle name in the first name field and others do not include it at all.

If your name is "Mr. John Edward Jones" so long as the ticket is issued as "John Jones" or "Johnedward Jones" there is no issue. As others note, this may cause OLCI systems to error out as there is not an exact match, but that is only an issue to the extent that one must then interface with a check-in agent at the airport.
NYC Flyer and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Jun 9, 19, 1:31 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by langleyoaker View Post
What does OCLI stand for please?

This is what is so frustrating. CX has no space for a middle name on their website. Really? WTH? I did go in and added my middle name under my travel documents by just putting my middle name in the first name space tab. Like "John Edward" in the first name spot instead of just "John" (as an example this is not my name). Then of course "Jones" in the last name spot. I Hope that does not mess things up. The system accepted it.

I did call AA and they said they would email CX to have our middle names added. We shall see if they follow through. I REALLY appreciate each and every response to my question. I was in a full on panic (i mean these are very $$$ RT J tickets to Asia 2 that I was very lucky to snag up for our dates with AA miles). After speaking with CX and they were telling me the middle name HAD to be there, and I kept saying but you don't even have a place for it in your system!

I feel much more at ease after all these responses I just got out of the hospital 2 months ago after a very lengthy hospital stay (32 days) and this trip was to be my reward to relax/recharge. This was incident did not help my blood pressure! I will keep you updated on what happens. It also seems there is a spot on CX's websites under profiles to add passport and other info (as opposed to just putting it in for an individual flight by itself), but then attached to the actually flights it also has an spot to add travel documents?
Old Jun 9, 19, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go View Post
What does OCLI stand for please?

This is what is so frustrating. CX has no space for a middle name on their website.
OLCI = online check-in. When making a reservation on CX's website, the given name field is labeled: Given/First Name and Middle Names.
1readyset2go likes this.