Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: AA Plat
Platinum - When do Booking Code Q 500 mile upgrades happen?

I have a flight coming up this Monday from PHX to ORD. Three days out there were 8 seats available in first class. Right now there are 4 available. I elected to upgrade when I booked my flight.

Will they upgrade my ticket when we hit 24 hours out? Or do I go to the airport and hope I win the lottery?

Will I ever be able to use my 500 mile upgrade certificates?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Welcome to Flyertalk BDHPlayer!

Officially, Platinum status has a 48 hour upgrade window. This means that the upgrade could come through as early as 48 hour prior to the flight. However, just because there are seats in F available at the 48 hour mark does not mean that AA will release those seats for upgrade. They may hold some, or even all, of those seats back in the hopes of selling them. If they don't sell them, they will be processed (at some point, up to and possibly including at the gate just prior to boarding) based on AA's prioritization formula for upgrades.

As long as your request is in, all you can do is wait and hope.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
500 mile upgrades clear into R inventory. So as long as there are no R inventory available, you would unfortunately have to stay on the waitlist.

As a Platinum I agree those 500 miles are pretty difficult to use now...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

This year AAdvantage has changed upgrade order, and within same elite status passengers with higher EQD (elite qualifying dollar) from previous year have priority. It is likely AA is holding seats in F for last minutes sales. When AA decide to release those empty F seats to FF (frequent flyer) upgrades, then it is likely that there are EXP (executive platinum) and other PLT (Platinum) ahead of you on the waiting list. Having 8 unsold seats does not mean you are next to get upgrade. There is very good chance that there are people ahead of you in an upgrade list.

Good luck!

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Aug 20, 2017 at 6:24 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BDHPlayer
I have a flight coming up this Monday from PHX to ORD. Three days out there were 8 seats available in first class. Right now there are 4 available. I elected to upgrade when I booked my flight.

Will they upgrade my ticket when we hit 24 hours out? Or do I go to the airport and hope I win the lottery?

Will I ever be able to use my 500 mile upgrade certificates?
For Plats, upgrades can happen anytime starting 48 hours before flight all the way up to closing the door for the flight. If you fly elite-popular flights, the lower your chance of getting upgraded.

As for available seats, the seat map on AA.com is not a good guide to go by. Seats may be sold but not yet assigned so they could be oversold (not likely in F though) and AA.com will still show open seats.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
I am traveling with a companion and purchased the 500 mile upgrades. I tried to check in and as an Executive Platinum, was told I didn't have enough upgrades, hence I had to check in at the airport. I have 5 upgrades in my account. Chicago to Boston requires 2 upgrades. Can somebody tell me why I got such a message? Much is broken at AA, and I think this is just another example of going for greAAt.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
I see that many of you have had the same situation by reading this thread. United, for example, doesn't charge for a companion upgrade. As American charges, why can't the process get fixed? I shake my head.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EP
Very standard. U have to checkin at the airport as u have a companion.

Originally Posted by JoeTravel
I am traveling with a companion and purchased the 500 mile upgrades. I tried to check in and as an Executive Platinum, was told I didn't have enough upgrades, hence I had to check in at the airport. I have 5 upgrades in my account. Chicago to Boston requires 2 upgrades. Can somebody tell me why I got such a message? Much is broken at AA, and I think this is just another example of going for greAAt.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA SILVER, AA EXEC PLAT
If I'm flying with a non-status companion as a exec plat, will they borrow my status on the airport waitlist when I use 500-mile stickers to upgrade them or will they be at the bottom of the list? Is there another upgrade tool such as miles and copay that would be better to use to up their chances? We are in the same reservation.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is it common for sticker counts to vary between aa.com and the AA mobile app? On aa.com, it says I have 12 stickers but on the app it says I have 24 (with a previous balance of 12).

Based on my EQMs, I should have 12. Just did Plat Challenge in July and have 45k EQM since then. The stickers posted early this morning after some CX flights posted yesterday.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:29 pm

They will use ur status. But, you might have to see an airport agent to get everything ordered correctly.

Originally Posted by atlantic1
If I'm flying with a non-status companion as a exec plat, will they borrow my status on the airport waitlist when I use 500-mile stickers to upgrade them or will they be at the bottom of the list? Is there another upgrade tool such as miles and copay that would be better to use to up their chances? We are in the same reservation.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:28 pm

I have a question about upgrades I am hoping somebody can explain what happens and if we can request upgrades.

Passenger 1 (AA Gold) is traveling from DCA-CLT-DFW on a separate ticket than Passenger 2 (no status) who is also traveling from DCA-CLT-DFW. Passenger 1 would like to upgrade both passengers' flights using Passenger 1's 500 mile upgrades.

1) How does Passenger 1 request upgrades?
2) Is this even possible for separate PNRs?
3) How are upgrades handled for flights <500 miles wrt 500 upgrades for the companion?

Thanks!

Last edited by milesunited; Sep 17, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:36 am

Bump. Any input is appreciated
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by milesunited
I have a question about upgrades I am hoping somebody can explain what happens and if we can request upgrades.

Passenger 1 (AA Gold) is traveling from DCA-CLT-DFW on a separate ticket than Passenger 2 (no status) who is also traveling from DCA-CLT-DFW. Passenger 1 would like to upgrade both passengers' flights using Passenger 1's 500 mile upgrades.

3) How are upgrades handled for flights <500 miles wrt 500 upgrades for the companion?

Thanks!
I've only done this once, a few years ago, so my information may be outdated.

For myself, I requested upgrades at booking.
For other pax, requested at gate. For one flight neither of us were upgraded, for another we both were (flight was upgauged).
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:37 pm

GOld calls AA and requests upgrade for themself and gives agent the name of the other person who will be the companion. aa will link the companion to the gold's status. I believe that if it clears the gold will have to use a sticker for the companion as they aren't entitled to free upgrades since they don't hold status -- but verify this.

Originally Posted by milesunited

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.