Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I've been told several times that for 2 people with status traveling together, in order for the lower status companion to 'piggyback' off the higher status companion for upgrade waitlist purposes, the stickers must come from the higher status person's account.
That doesn't surprise me, but what if our statuses are the same? Can we decide when we get to the gate? Otherwise I need to remove the upgrade and resubmit from my wife's account.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jmail1
That doesn't surprise me, but what if our statuses are the same? Can we decide when we get to the gate? Otherwise I need to remove the upgrade and resubmit from my wife's account.
I was able to do this at the check-in counter (not gate) on my last trip. My no-status companion had stickers and I (EXP) did not. We cleared in advance and they were able to take the stickers from my companion's account.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I've been told several times that for 2 people with status traveling together, in order for the lower status companion to 'piggyback' off the higher status companion for upgrade waitlist purposes, the stickers must come from the higher status person's account.
Yes, that is what you will hear from GAs that don't wish to do the work to change the rez or they haven't been trained on how to do it. Unfortunately they are usually the sole gatekeeper and you have no other choice, not that the other GA will do any different. It's totally a YMMV situation and what pressure the GA is under to get the flight out on time.
Shrpchef likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
I got 17 stickers with that Plat "trial offer" last May, which just expired Sept 7. I never flew enough to get/keep status (I am at 22K YTD)
In August, I applied 5 stickers to a transcon flight. The itinerary shows them as "requested," but since I am no longer Plat, will they just fall off or otherwise be ignored?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
When do they pull the stickers?

Flying phx-sea later today. Put in for the upgrade for 3 stickers. I noticed 3 stickers go away form my account yesterday, but reservation is still showing seat in Y. Should I get my hopes up, or do they just pull the stickers and then put them back if you don't get the upgrade?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:13 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
My gf and I have yet to have any domestic stickers apply properly due to me having status and she having none.

If I were to buy some 500-Miles Stickers to use for her, should I buy them with MY AA account or hers so that they could be processed easier?

I am EXP, she has no status.

We are booked to Maui next and we always have to go to the gate to get her upgrade priority fixed.

One of the gate agents told me that the best way around this issue is to NOT put her AAdvantage number in the reservation and she would automatically inherit my EXP status on the UG list.

Last edited by 355F1; Oct 1, 2018 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Have a bit of an odd situation which might be sticker related.

I’m ExecPlat, booked a RT flight from LAX to Phoenix a month ago, all good.

Got upgraded a few days out on my outgoing flight. Upon attempting to check in for my return flight at the 24 hour mark on the app, it wouldn’t let me and said there was a problem with adding me to the upgrade list as a reason.

I check in at the Phoenix airport at the self kiosk; I have 10A (exit row). Get asked if i’m ok for exit row seat. But when printed, I have no seat assignment and I get a voucher.

Lookinng at the flight, only 4F is open in first and i’m #3 on the upgrade list, so i figure my chances are not good, but then I get to the gate and get even more confused.

The GA was pretty confused at the situation to begin with and couldn’t understand what was happening. Attempting to reprint the boarding pass was giving me no seat assignment, even though he can see I was in 10A and my app shows 10A.

He releases me, then re-adds me and prints the boarding pass and it comes out automatically as 4C, a seat already assigned according to the seatmap.

He then changes it to 10A just fine, but considering the system automatically put me in first made me wonder: did I automatically get upgraded to first days ago, but the seat/itin was not automatically changed to first? That would explain why it wouldn’t add me to the upgrade list at check in, as I was automatically ugpraded. This plus automatically getting 4C leads me to believe that...but the GA was adamant that I was #3 on the list and it would be impossible. Does the upgrade list get made only at the 4 hour mark, so if I was top on the non-airport list, it wouldn’t have bearing after the 4 hour mark list?

Anyone have any ideas what went on?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinMike
Flying phx-sea later today. Put in for the upgrade for 3 stickers. I noticed 3 stickers go away form my account yesterday, but reservation is still showing seat in Y. Should I get my hopes up, or do they just pull the stickers and then put them back if you don't get the upgrade?
Well, number 8 on the list, but they took 3 stickers anyway. Guess I'll call, or ask at the airport why.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:10 am

500 mile upgrade award question

I have 10 of these, but I'm not an elite member, are they useless to me or is there a way to use them?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
They are useless to you but they don't expire. Discussed comprehensively here: <link removed after thread merge> (search term "500 mile upgrade")

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 12, 2018 at 12:04 pm Reason: Circular link removed after thread merge
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by bernyx
I have 10 of these, but I'm not an elite member, are they useless to me or is there a way to use them?
They can't be used unless you reach at least GLD status. However, they never expire.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
500-mile E-upgrades vanished from account?

I'm confused:

I had 4 500 mile E-upgrades. Now, when I go to "Wallet" in the AA app or on the AA website, it shows 1.

If I click on Activity, it shows that in the last 365 days, I earned, say, 12 500-upgrades and used 11, and thus have 1 left. But I never had zero 500-mile upgrades 365 days ago; I had I think 3 then, so the issue seems to be that AA erased the number of 500-mile upgrades that I had a year ago and is starting with 0 a year ago when it should be starting with 3.

The last time that I redeemed an upgrade was in July 2018, and I know that I had 4 well after July.

Would a request to AA on Twitter get this fixed, or is it a systemwide issue affecting everyone?

Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:16 am

Same here. Account has been showing 0 for weeks now. I've called and they tell me the correct number, so it's just a display problem in the app and website.

They have told me that they will get it fixed twice now.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Doesn't effect everyone but it is a common occurrence. It usually fixes itself. I've had them float in and out of my account but they've always been restored.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
I am confused about automatic upgrades for elites. My wife and I are booked from PHX-CLT-RIC. Shortly after booking this flight I got an email from American with the message "We’re unable to automatically request 500-mile upgrades because you’re traveling with someone not eligible for complimentary upgrades."
Can someone explain this message to me? I am lifetime GOLD as a million miler but my wife has no elite status. Does the complimentary upgrade for flights under 500 miles (CLT-RIC) not apply when an elite is travelling with a non elite? Even so would I not get an automatic upgrade as a Gold member?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.