Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I’ve raised this question before, but this one is even worse than before. Have a flight less than 3 days away, so well into my window. C/R/D/J/I all show as 7, as in the flight is wide open, yet I have still not cleared the auto upgrade. Do I just need to wait patiently or is this something I should reach out to, to make sure it’s not some error or process issue?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by safari ari
I’ve raised this question before, but this one is even worse than before. Have a flight less than 3 days away, so well into my window. C/R/D/J/I all show as 7, as in the flight is wide open, yet I have still not cleared the auto upgrade. Do I just need to wait patiently or is this something I should reach out to, to make sure it’s not some error or process issue?
I'm assuming you've already requested the upgrade? You just need to wait. Not uncommon. Every flight is different when it comes to processing upgrades.

-FlyerBeek
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I'm assuming you've already requested the upgrade? You just need to wait. Not uncommon. Every flight is different when it comes to processing upgrades.

-FlyerBeek
Well, my assumption was correct. With ~36 hours out from the flight and still no movement, I contacted AA again, even though my Upgrade area showed "Requested", turns out I was not on the upgrade list for either segment. I had already been upgraded on my return, so it seemed very suspicious. UG went through 2 minutes later, but seems I may have missed out on the second segment because of it.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by safari ari
Well, my assumption was correct. With ~36 hours out from the flight and still no movement, I contacted AA again, even though my Upgrade area showed "Requested", turns out I was not on the upgrade list for either segment. I had already been upgraded on my return, so it seemed very suspicious. UG went through 2 minutes later, but seems I may have missed out on the second segment because of it.
Interesting. Can't say I've encountered this exact issue in the past. Sometimes close-in it can be difficult to get added to the upgrade list when the flight's under airport control, but I haven't previously encountered what you describe.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:41 pm

I am a Plat Pro traveling with my wife on a separate PNR. I have 4 stickers in my account, and requested an upgrade for her one one leg of our upcoming trip (4 legs over 2 days). What happens if I request an upgrade for her on subsequent legs and I no longer have stickers remaining (on the off chance the upgrade on the first leg clears)? Do I lose the upgrade, or do I have the option to then purchase more stickers to cover the subsequent upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by grant15; Dec 2, 2021 at 2:05 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Have a flight tomorrow morning, companion is not showing on the upgrade list.

I sponsored, and checked in first. No stickers left my account when I checked in.

EP desk (v rude agent) assures me companion is on the list, but cannot see his position. (Reservations can't see the list, right?)

His app says "requested," and displays the number of stickers needed. He is gold and has 0 currently. At no point was he prompted to buy them.

It's an A321 with the 4 extra seats, and assuming he is on the list we will likely both clear.

Is this worth staying up late and HUCAing about, or should I see what happens at the airport?

Update: Not on upgrade list at airport. GA said there wasn't much she could do, but to call EXP desk, who was very nice but also baffled. GA eventually figured it out somehow. Most probably a symptom of the "two elites together" glitch.

Last edited by meechyathere; Dec 3, 2021 at 8:22 am
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by grant15
I am a Plat Pro traveling with my wife on a separate PNR. I have 4 stickers in my account, and requested an upgrade for her one one leg of our upcoming trip (4 legs over 2 days). What happens if I request an upgrade for her on subsequent legs and I no longer have stickers remaining (on the off chance the upgrade on the first leg clears)? Do I lose the upgrade, or do I have the option to then purchase more stickers to cover the subsequent upgrade? Thanks in advance.
At check in you will be prompted to buy enough stickers to cover all upgrade requests you have made in case they clear at the gate.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic
At check in you will be prompted to buy enough stickers to cover all upgrade requests you have made in case they clear at the gate.
Thanks for the response.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EP
you should read through upgrades and .com on how companion upgrades. Key is that anytime u have a status companion u always need to see an agent at the airport

Originally Posted by meechyathere
Have a flight tomorrow morning, companion is not showing on the upgrade list.

I sponsored, and checked in first. No stickers left my account when I checked in.

EP desk (v rude agent) assures me companion is on the list, but cannot see his position. (Reservations can't see the list, right?)

His app says "requested," and displays the number of stickers needed. He is gold and has 0 currently. At no point was he prompted to buy them.

It's an A321 with the 4 extra seats, and assuming he is on the list we will likely both clear.

Is this worth staying up late and HUCAing about, or should I see what happens at the airport?

Update: Not on upgrade list at airport. GA said there wasn't much she could do, but to call EXP desk, who was very nice but also baffled. GA eventually figured it out somehow. Most probably a symptom of the "two elites together" glitch.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:44 pm

New here (first post!)

But I just had a quick question. I became a Gold AAdvatage Elite on November 12, 2021. I had 46,000 EQMs. I was under the impression that at the time you garner status the amount of EQMs you have would determine the amount of stickers you receive (4 for every 12,500). But I called AA and was told that it starts AFTER I get Gold. So the 46,000 EQMs I garnered for 2021 do not matter. Any insight on this (and sorry if it was answered in this long thread already).
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by whal510
New here (first post!)

But I just had a quick question. I became a Gold AAdvatage Elite on November 12, 2021. I had 46,000 EQMs. I was under the impression that at the time you garner status the amount of EQMs you have would determine the amount of stickers you receive (4 for every 12,500). But I called AA and was told that it starts AFTER I get Gold. So the 46,000 EQMs I garnered for 2021 do not matter. Any insight on this (and sorry if it was answered in this long thread already).
Welcome to FT! Unfortunately, I believe the agent was correct. The cumulative EQM counter for earning 500mi upgrades doesn’t start until you actually reach Gold status.

-FlyerBeek
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Originally Posted by whal510
New here (first post!)

I’m in a similar situation… I was 284 EQMs and 167 EQDs away from Gold before I boarded a Hawaii flight in J, which brought in 7818 EQMs and 1325 EQDs. Didn’t get credit towards stickers for the whole flight. I’m about 2000 EQMs away from my next batch of 4, so if I don’t hit that by the end of the year, I’m going to call and ask if they’ll give them to me. I’m Platinum now, and getting only 4 this year is a shame.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Kawliga
I’m about 2000 EQMs away from my next batch of 4, so if I don’t hit that by the end of the year, I’m going to call and ask if they’ll give them to me. I’m Platinum now, and getting only 4 this year is a shame.
I doubt they will give you all four, but in past years if you were a bit short and called you could get 2-3. E.g. End of Jan insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2020)
Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Is it still necessary to split parties of 2 to avoid being skipped? This is for upgrades in advance, not at the airport.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by meechyathere
Is it still necessary to split parties of 2 to avoid being skipped? This is for upgrades in advance, not at the airport.
The only reason to split the reservation, that I can think of, would be to clear an upgrade when there is only 1 seat left to upgrade into. I've been informed that if only 1 seat remains, the system will look for a single pax to clear into that seat.

In my experience, I've seen GA's call for pax at the gate to approach the counter. They will start at the top of the list and inform them that 1 seat is available for upgrade and see if they would like to have their party seated separately, thus splitting the PNR. I have been asked and the GA has easily done so.

As a recent data point, last week Mrs. Pittie Pup and I were on the same PNR for a round trip booking. On both legs we cleared the upgrades at the start of our time window. Nothing special was done with the reservation after the booking was made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.