Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by skylady
Use the SWU for a guaranteed upgrade
And do it now!
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
And do it now!

Understood but is it really a good value redeeming it for only a 2.5 hour flight. I assume only a snack basket.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Although MEX is usually defined as International terminal by AA (so you will have access to FL if you are in one of the hubs), MEX is eligible for 500-miles/complimentary upgrade for PP and EXP. I had two DFW-MEX earlier this year when I was still PP, upgrade cleared pretty early.

"Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service."
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Understood but is it really a good value redeeming it for only a 2.5 hour flight. I assume only a snack basket.
IIRC DFW-MEX is an "exception" route and as such it receives full meal service for most, if not all, flights.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Although MEX is usually defined as International terminal by AA (so you will have access to FL if you are in one of the hubs), MEX is eligible for 500-miles/complimentary upgrade for PP and EXP. I had two DFW-MEX earlier this year when I was still PP, upgrade cleared pretty early.

"Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service."
Good info thanks all. I booked it --$384 RT and 7A seats to and fro. If I get upgraded great, otherwise I'll try to use the swu's to other farther locations. I got the hilton downtown for $94/night and am pretty excited to go. It's only a weekend in January myself, but Im a big museum person and love the culture and food.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by skylady
Use the SWU for a guaranteed upgrade
For a 2 1/2 hour flight, when there is a possibility of a sticker upgrade? (No stickers needed for the OP who is EXP)
That would seem to be a waste of an SWU
Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by mvoight
For a 2 1/2 hour flight, when there is a possibility of a sticker upgrade? (No stickers needed for the OP who is EXP)

+1. Can empirically confirm that DFW-MEX would be a waste of a SWU. If the equipment is a 738, you'll most likely get the comp upgrade. If the SWU is going to expire and you have no other uses, then use it. Otherwise, save it for something better. It'd be more worthwhile to use it on a more competitive domestic route (i.e. DFW-LAX) if you don't have any international flights coming up.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by mvoight
+1000.

MEX is great for a museum lover. The Museum of Anthropology is amazing and I'm also a huge fan of the Museo Soumaya.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Good info thanks all. I booked it --$384 RT and 7A seats to and fro. If I get upgraded great, otherwise I'll try to use the swu's to other farther locations. I got the hilton downtown for $94/night and am pretty excited to go. It's only a weekend in January myself, but Im a big museum person and love the culture and food.
Same here! I got it when AA had this crazy deal RT EWR - DFW - MEX at ~$130 (of course Sunday DFW-EWR there is no way to upgrade, so I sat with 5 other EXP at BH), so I decided to do a MR on special fare (not necessary indeed) on a weekend. Definitely enjoyed my time there, and food of course.
Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by andersonCooper; Nov 19, 2017 at 6:29 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
(1) MEX is definitely a complimentary upgrade for EXP - most flights from DFW are 738's and are easy upgrades; a few are 319's and might be less likely; even so, 2 hrs in coach isn't that horrible.
(2) Depending on time of day, MEX-DFW can be just the "snack tray" - returning from MEX last weekend was a plate of 2 slices of meat or a plate with a few pieces of cheese; definitely not worth using a SWU...
(3) Lots and lots to see and do in Mexico City - enjoy!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:58 am

I have 59 unused so it could be worse :-)
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Okay then don't!. SWU availability in January is difficult, especially if it expires in January.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
(Looks like my post got lost in merge)

DFW-MEX is essentially a domestic flight with domestic-level service. The meals will be the same as domestic meal options, although the dessert out of MEX is plated. If you would use a SWU on DFW-EWR or DFW-LAX, then consider using your SWU here.

Keep in mind that as EXP (or flying in J), DFW-MEX does qualify for Admirals Club access (if you don't already have it), and Flagship Dining in DFW D. So you could always eat in the lounges before your flight.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightrisk
(Looks like my post got lost in merge)

DFW-MEX is essentially a domestic flight with domestic-level service. The meals will be the same as domestic meal options, although the dessert out of MEX is plated. If you would use a SWU on DFW-EWR or DFW-LAX, then consider using your SWU here.

Keep in mind that as EXP (or flying in J), DFW-MEX does qualify for Admirals Club access (if you don't already have it), and Flagship Dining in DFW D. So you could always eat in the lounges before your flight.
Good info, thanks all.

I have one SWU that if not redeemed by 1/31/18 will expire. I currently have that SWU pending for AA 81 lhr-dfw on 11/26 and from what I can see I'll definitely still have that SWU after that flight so I will redeem it then assuming my lhr flight doesn't clear. That is of course assuming the SWU availability is still open for the MEX flight this time next week.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:02 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Alex_I
I also thought that but according current terms and conditions:
1) Non elite status members may only upgrade when they are traveling as the companion to an elite status member.
2) AAdvantage elite status members may upgrade one companion traveling on the same flight using 500-mile upgrades from their own account as payment.
Of course, one can always try!
My experience last week was different.

I linked a non-status relative's record to my record so that she took on my status for upgrade purposes. She had no stickers. The upgrades cleared at about T-24. When my travel companion went to OLCI, she got the message that she could not check in because she had no stickers in her account and had to buy 3. I called the EXP line and they agreed that the stickers should come out of my account but the system was looking to the non-status account instead and that it could be fixed at the airport. I HUCA and got the same answer. Both reps said that if she had stickers, they would have been pulled from her account and she would be free and clear. Got to the airport (RSW) and they said they could not fix it and that she had to buy 3 stickers for her account in order to keep the upgrade. I finally got them to call their internal help desk and after 20 minutes, the help desk folks were able to pull from my account.

The interesting thing is that every person I talked to from AA on this matter said that the stickers would be pulled from the non-elite companion account in the system and not my account. All acknowledged the T&Cs seemed to say different but all said it seemed that there was a difference when the non-elite is on the same record as the sponsoring elite versus being on a different record that was linked as was my case. So,Mrs. wjj has 25 unused stickers in her account but no longer has elite status. No way to use these or transfer them, or convert to miles like in the past. So I asked each rep that if Mrs. wjj and I flew on separate records that I linked for upgrade purposes if we cleared, would the stickers get pulled from her account. All said, apparently, yes.

Seems crazy and not consistent with the T&Cs to me, but that is what happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.