Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Upgrades on AA (to merge 500 mile upgrades)

I was a US Air platinum and got switched to American (am also life Delta Diamond). Delta and US used to be similar. At 7 days I and partner could be upgraded anywhere. I tried to upgrade the other day and was told I needed to use upgrade certificates. What are they? Does status alone no longer get you upgraded Must admit it has been awhile using commercial. Thanks in advance
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Flights under 500 miles receive complementary upgrades for anyone with status. Domestic upgrades over 500 miles are complementary for Platinum Pro and Executive platinum members. Gold and Platinum members must use 500 mile certificates. You take the flight miles and apply enough certificates to cover the entire distance. For example a 700 mile trip would be 2 certificates or a 1100 mile trip would be 3 certificates. Gold and Platinum members earn free certificates by flying or you can purchase them.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zurick
I was a US Air platinum and got switched to American (am also life Delta Diamond). Delta and US used to be similar. At 7 days I and partner could be upgraded anywhere. I tried to upgrade the other day and was told I needed to use upgrade certificates. What are they? Does status alone no longer get you upgraded Must admit it has been awhile using commercial. Thanks in advance
Things are different - and have been for a number of years. All you need to know about AA's 500-mile upgrade system in existing thread here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...questions.html
JDiver and JonNYC like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

Per the rules, I have updated the thread title:

Thread titles

Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.
If you haven't reviewed the rules lately, you can find them here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

You can also find a link in the menu at the top of every page on FlyerTalk: HELP-->Rules

Also this thread will eventually be merged into the thread that bse118 referenced above.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:20 am

Does anyone know if the 3,000 EQMs earned from credit card spending with Barclay's Aviator card count towards our earning thresholds for more upgrades? My math shows it is not including my 3k EQMs, but should it?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Thanks bse. So as I understand it now, for "long flights" there is no benefit being a platinum except maybe the order you get bumped but it sounds like a gold with more money spent flying will still bump a platinum who has not flown much at that point (I get my status usually by international/Africa/Austrailia flights end of year). And then you must have certificates to use instead. It would seem better just to use miles to upgrade

Question. Do any plats routinely now get upgraded NY to LA? Also I used to get EQMs on South African that worked for US Air status. Do codeshare miles count for "place in line" ( and do they still count for elite status) I tried talking to AA customer service and got two answers

ps thanks moderator
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Zurick
Thanks bse. So as I understand it now, for "long flights" there is no benefit being a platinum except maybe the order you get bumped but it sounds like a gold with more money spent flying will still bump a platinum who has not flown much at that point (I get my status usually by international/Africa/Austrailia flights end of year). And then you must have certificates to use instead. It would seem better just to use miles to upgrade

Question. Do any plats routinely now get upgraded NY to LA? Also I used to get EQMs on South African that worked for US Air status. Do codeshare miles count for "place in line" ( and do they still count for elite status) I tried talking to AA customer service and got two answers

ps thanks moderator
Upgrade ques go by elite level and within elite level by trailing 12 month dollar spend. So a PLT would always preside over a GLD no matter the 12 month spend. NYC to LAX? For a PLT probably only off times like Saturday PM and early Sunday AM, maybe mid week mid day. But as a general rule as a PLT I wouldn't anticipate an upgrade on a transcon. Any partner that gives EQMs and EDQs would count for elite status and dollars towards your 12 month spend. For non OW airlines I'd refer to aa.com for specific rules.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
NYC to LAX? For a PLT probably only off times like Saturday PM and early Sunday AM, maybe mid week mid day. But as a general rule as a PLT I wouldn't anticipate an upgrade on a transcon.
About 55k EQMs last year just on this route as PLT. I’ve gotten them frequently enough to start costing me $200 on several flights (had to buy upgrades). Friday late morning/early afternoon has been good ex-LAX along with Tuesday morning ex-JFK. Was $1400 short on EQDs, and decided it wasn’t worth the extra cost and effort to maintain PLT for the privilege of paying $200 to upgrade. Have lifetime GLD and MCE seats seem pretty easy to score at checkin on my usual travel dates.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:18 pm

Not sure if I missed it, but basic question.

Who pays for the upgrade when both your companion and you are elites? Does it matter if one person is higher than the other?

In my situation we are on the same record locator and I'm platinum and companion is gold.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
What’s the consensus answer on using 500 mile stickers prior to a status change.

Going from gold to no status. Flight in April.

would the 500 upgrade be honored and used if available or returned to my account?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Flyertalker1
What’s the consensus answer on using 500 mile stickers prior to a status change.

Going from gold to no status. Flight in April.

would the 500 upgrade be honored and used if available or returned to my account?
You must have status to use your stickers. The stickers never expire, so once you drop down to no status they remain in your account, but you have to regain status again before you can use them.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aagiants
Not sure if I missed it, but basic question.

Who pays for the upgrade when both your companion and you are elites? Does it matter if one person is higher than the other?

In my situation we are on the same record locator and I'm platinum and companion is gold.
If you both go check in at the airport together you should be able to tell the agent how you want it done (theoretically either passenger can pay for both, or each for their own).

If you're both on the same PNR, I think you'll each pay for your own by default.
rumboj likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:56 pm

Officially, the one with the highest status is the one’s priority that’s is used for the upgrade. It is this pwron’s Account that all of the stickers (self and companion) are to come from. See .com. It all spelled out there.

YMMV.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
If you both go check in at the airport together you should be able to tell the agent how you want it done (theoretically either passenger can pay for both, or each for their own).

If you're both on the same PNR, I think you'll each pay for your own by default.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by 777lover
Officially, the one with the highest status is the one’s priority that’s is used for the upgrade. It is this pwron’s Account that all of the stickers (self and companion) are to come from. See .com. It all spelled out there.

YMMV.

This is true until things go to the airport list, at which point 2 pax will be listed according to their individual status, even on the same PNR. It's possible to override this and have both listed on the airport list according to the higher status, but it takes agent intervention.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:51 am

Question Can I use AAdvantage Electronic Upgrades to upgrade from Premium Econ on British?

Experts -- I have LHR SFO coming up soon, have tens of EUs on Aadvantage. Ticket bought directly from BA. Flight is BA metal (BA285). Is there any way to use these 500-mile EUs to upgrade the class of service in this way? Cabin is Premium Economy, I believe W but not exactly sure on that at the moment.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.