Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:36 pm

Hello,

New gold member/FT member here and I have a trip coming up with my wife and 2 other friends. None have status except myself so, I was planning on booking the tickets under one PNR for the status benefits. I understand that only one companion can be upgraded on stickers. Will I be able to use stickers just for myself and wife? Or will the system not let me do it as there is 4 people on the reservation?

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:46 pm

Pretty sure they will have to split the record when u request the upgrades.
Originally Posted by Andpto
Hello,

New gold member/FT member here and I have a trip coming up with my wife and 2 other friends. None have status except myself so, I was planning on booking the tickets under one PNR for the status benefits. I understand that only one companion can be upgraded on stickers. Will I be able to use stickers just for myself and wife? Or will the system not let me do it as there is 4 people on the reservation?

Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Can you request purchased stickers to be refunded and taken out of your balance? I was given some false info from an exp agent when I was trying to upgrade my brother on a different itinerary and found out post purchase at the AC you can’t do that and we have to be on the same itinerary......so confusing because you can give an SWU to anyone.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:46 am

Generally No. but i am sure there are exceptions. Give it a try.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Can you request purchased stickers to be refunded and taken out of your balance? I was given some false info from an exp agent when I was trying to upgrade my brother on a different itinerary and found out post purchase at the AC you can’t do that and we have to be on the same itinerary......so confusing because you can give an SWU to anyone.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Using stickers to confirm upgrade with open C class (LAX-JFK)

I've given up on retaining EP status, so now I'm down to platinum and have a bunch of 500 mile "stickers" to use. I'm familiar with the EP upgrade process (and looking for flights with C class availability to be able to upgrade at time of booking) but not so familiar with the sticker process (and have tried to find a clear answer to my question but with no luck so far).

As a AA platinum, when booking a flight with C availability and upgrading using stickers, can I get my upgrade processed at time of booking, or is it left until closer to departure when they run through lists by status/booking/other factors?

I'm looking at LAX-JFK and am only considering AA if I can get the upgrade to clear now (since they're more expensive then B6 and AS).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
They only process closer to departure for plat, no earlier than 48 hours I think.

Last edited by T. Sanderson; Jun 10, 2018 at 8:00 pm Reason: Typos (autocorrect)
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by absoluy
I've given up on retaining EP status, so now I'm down to platinum and have a bunch of 500 mile "stickers" to use. I'm familiar with the EP upgrade process (and looking for flights with C class availability to be able to upgrade at time of booking) but not so familiar with the sticker process (and have tried to find a clear answer to my question but with no luck so far).

As a AA platinum, when booking a flight with C availability and upgrading using stickers, can I get my upgrade processed at time of booking, or is it left until closer to departure when they run through lists by status/booking/other factors?

I'm looking at LAX-JFK and am only considering AA if I can get the upgrade to clear now (since they're more expensive then B6 and AS).
stickers do not book into C. C is miles + copay or SWUs. C can be confirmed at booking if open although it will cost you 15k miles + 75 USD (or something to that respect)

stickers/500 mile upgrades go to R and those will clear assuming R is open 48 hours in advance.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
How long for stickers to post?

I had some missing mileage from several weeks ago finally post to my AAdvantage account yesterday, which caused my account to cross the 12,500 mile threshold for earning 4 more stickers. The "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" counter reset from <1,000 miles needed to >10,000 miles needed so all looks correct, but stickers have not posted to my account. Is this normal? How long after the counter resets before the stickers are present in the account and available for use? After 12 years at EXP, I haven't had to deal with this issue in a long time so I'm seeking a bit of expertise. Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:40 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

edit: issue/bug managed to work itself out after posting

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Jun 26, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat; MR LT Titanium; HH Diamond
EQMs needed info?

It appears that in AA's efforts to continually screw around with their web page, they have either hidden or moved the "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" information. anyone else notice this, or know where it can now be found, if anywhere?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I had some missing mileage from several weeks ago finally post to my AAdvantage account yesterday, which caused my account to cross the 12,500 mile threshold for earning 4 more stickers. The "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" counter reset from <1,000 miles needed to >10,000 miles needed so all looks correct, but stickers have not posted to my account. Is this normal? How long after the counter resets before the stickers are present in the account and available for use? After 12 years at EXP, I haven't had to deal with this issue in a long time so I'm seeking a bit of expertise. Thanks.
The stickers themselves usually take up to several business days to show up on the website after the counter rolls over. It is my understanding from other posts that they are actually available to use immediately - it's just the website itself is behind. If others know this to be not correct, please chime in.

Originally Posted by gpmHSV
It appears that in AA's efforts to continually screw around with their web page, they have either hidden or moved the "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" information. anyone else notice this, or know where it can now be found, if anywhere?
Yes, they made it non-obvious. It took me a few minutes to find it. When you go to "My account" There are three boxes - account summary (the default), promotions and wallet. You can find the info under wallet.

Where to find your remaining EQM's needed for more stickers.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Just wishful thinking, but I wish AA gave PLTs & GLDs "credit" for the first 500 miles of an UPG. They do it for sub 500 mile flights, so it kind of sucks to have to 2 stickers on a 501 mile flight. It would be great if the first 500 miles were essentially included. So a 1500 mile flight only cost 2 stickers. Again, wishful thinking.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by genotonda
Just wishful thinking, but I wish AA gave PLTs & GLDs "credit" for the first 500 miles of an UPG. They do it for sub 500 mile flights, so it kind of sucks to have to 2 stickers on a 501 mile flight. It would be great if the first 500 miles were essentially included. So a 1500 mile flight only cost 2 stickers. Again, wishful thinking.
I guess that would be nice but rarely do I or Mrs controller1 ever get upgraded except on the sub-500 mile routes. Therefore, my sticker balance is 42 and Mrs controller1's sticker balance is 27.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by controller1
I guess that would be nice but rarely do I or Mrs controller1 ever get upgraded except on the sub-500 mile routes. Therefore, my sticker balance is 42 and Mrs controller1's sticker balance is 27.
Ya, it's one of those things that really doesn't negatively effect anyone in any way (that I can think of) besides AA of course. Everyone in the GLD and PLT classes would get treated equally, and since EQD is in effect, the playing field is still level.

On a side note in relation to your comment, I was able able to clear DFW-MSP-DFW yesterday and today. DFW-MSP at booking, and MSP-DFW about 5 hours after booking. Currently PLT.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by controller1
I'm at 82 stickers!
controller1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.