Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by ontheway
Hi: I have been lifetime gold for decades (literally) and have never asked for or gotten any kind of upgrade. From what I understand now, it appears that when I book a trip I would automatically be put on an upgrade list? I do not mean I will get upgraded as many are more elite than i, but is that what it means? I used to be much more knowledgeable but in recent years have not traveled as much
Also the upgrades only apply to US Domestic and US to Canada/Mexico/Carribean/Central America flights. Any flight to another Continent is not eligible for these complimentary upgrades.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Depends where and when you fly, hub to hub you will be so for down the list you probably have no chance, but on the other hand small airports at inconvenient times it can be fairly likely. When I was gold I probably got upgraded 25% of the time out of BUF or to small airports I was travelling to, especially on the early morning flights.

As a Gold I also cleared a DFW - HNL upgrade on a widebody plane to lie-flat seats so sometimes you can get lucky too. But if you are not on the list then you have 0% shot of clearing.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I last flew CUN-PHX all the upgrades cleared and we left with an empty seat in F. But this was before upgrades were complimentary so it's possible that there were elites in the back who didn't want to buy/use stickers.

If you are flexible with travel dates and book the cheapest flights you can find you will get upgraded a lot more often (as a nice bonus to saving money on your tickets). Those cheap flights are usually cheap because they have low loads.
njvandy and rayfes like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage
In and out of hubs forget it. Not gonna happen. Non hubs at certain times a possibility.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The recent changes have been bad news for golds. In the old system, Plats and Golds had to request an upgrade and pay for it with stickers if it cleared. Under the new system, as a gold you will be behind ALL plats and all golds with higher 12-month moving LP's than you.

That said, I did occasionally get upgrades on DL and US when I was gold there and they had free upgrades for all elites. On Christmas Eve 2009 my girlfriend and I got upgraded LAX-PHL, into a nearly empty F cabin, which was a real treat since I think it was the first time I had flown with her.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Was Gold in May and got an upgrade for hubs and I at T-24 ORD-MCO Tu 8:40am flt, so it does happen.
ontheway likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:54 am

If it makes you feel better, even when I was platinum, I was upgraded on 5/100 flights. Now as a gold (no biz travel), I'll just pay the cash upgrade if I want to sit up front
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by hdp323
I'm gold out of DFW. In most flights, I'd be on the list around number 25-30. Of about 15 flights this year, not a single upgrade cleared. I was close in two occassions for a route that's not veyr business-heavy at odd times. I think in routes like DFW-LGA, I was like #40.
DAL based, but sometimes use DFW as a Lifetime AA Gold. Travel heavily to my country CUN & PVR and sometimes MEX. As a crappy Gold, upgrades were 75% success to the beach and 50% to MEX, specially MEX during non business travel hours/days. Ohh and that is the only routes I use AA for, as I am 1K for work via IAH with way higher success rate for upgrades than those for leisure on AA. I think I am in the high 80% with UA and also enjoy WN on the exist rows for short domestic. So all in all, if intra USA, I go UA or WN.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Furby
You will automatically be on the upgrade list but as a Gold member you will be so far down the list that the chances of actually being upgraded are close to nil unless traveling at 5am on a weekend and even then they are not good.
Dramatic much? Neither you nor I know OP's flying patterns. Maybe he/she regularly flies OKC-LAX on Wednesday afternoons. In that case he/she would get upgraded >90% of the time.
KBMIFlyer, Mr. BoH and rumboj like this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
The recent changes have been bad news for golds. In the old system, Plats and Golds had to request an upgrade and pay for it with stickers if it cleared. Under the new system, as a gold you will be behind ALL plats and all golds with higher 12-month moving LP's than you.

That said, I did occasionally get upgrades on DL and US when I was gold there and they had free upgrades for all elites. On Christmas Eve 2009 my girlfriend and I got upgraded LAX-PHL, into a nearly empty F cabin, which was a real treat since I think it was the first time I had flown with her.
The flip side is that you may now get upgrades on flights that you previously may not have requested upgrades. For example my wife, son and I have been upgraded in advance multiple times this year (I'm PLT, she and kid are GLD). In the past we may not have elected to burn two 500-mile upgrades each on a 600 mile flight, but now with this new system, we can all get upgraded for "free." YMMV as always.
ontheway likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: *G (NH); OWS (JL); STE (KE)
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Dramatic much? Neither you nor I know OP's flying patterns. Maybe he/she regularly flies OKC-LAX on Wednesday afternoons. In that case he/she would get upgraded >90% of the time.
Indeed. I was recently upgraded on a BGR-ORD flight so there is some value to lifetime gold status. It just depends on when and where you’re flying to.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EXP100
In and out of hubs forget it. Not gonna happen. Non hubs at certain times a possibility.
But...aren't all AA flights either INTO our OUT OF a hub, given how the legacy carriers operate their networks? I've never understood the idea I've seen on various travel blogs that "it's better to be an elite based in a city not the hub of the airline in which you hold status," because aren't their an equal number of elite/status passengers in both directions between a given city pair? Elites have to come home as much as leave home, right?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
But...aren't all AA flights either INTO our OUT OF a hub, given how the legacy carriers operate their networks?
Mostly yes, although especially since Covid there have been increasing numbers of routes that are "point to point" (non-hub to non-hub), like BNA-TPA and AUS-IND.
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
I've never understood the idea I've seen on various travel blogs that "it's better to be an elite based in a city not the hub of the airline in which you hold status," because aren't their an equal number of elite/status passengers in both directions between a given city pair? Elites have to come home as much as leave home, right?
The real distinction is hub to hub versus hub to/from non-hub. If you are based at a hub of your airline (say DFW), then whenever you fly nonstop to another hub (say ORD), you will be competing with the DFW elite herd heading out and the ORD elite herd heading home. If you are based at a non-hub, at least you know that every trip starts and ends with a flight on which there is only one city's elite herd. This is in addition to possibly cheaper connecting fares because you're not a hub captive.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
The real distinction is hub to hub versus hub to/from non-hub. If you are based at a hub of your airline (say DFW), then whenever you fly nonstop to another hub (say ORD), you will be competing with the DFW elite herd heading out and the ORD elite herd heading home. If you are based at a non-hub, at least you know that every trip starts and ends with a flight on which there is only one city's elite herd.
Yes, this makes much more sense to me. Largely academic for me given my most frequent route is DCA<>ORD and I've yet to get upgraded with Platinum status -- been #1 on the list as doors closed though, so I at least took a screenshot to prove it, haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.