FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1023487-aa-sticker-500-mile-exp-udu-complimentary-upgrade-policy-faq.html)

JonNYC Apr 8, 2018 11:01 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier (Post 29616315)
Started about a year ago.

No David, not for Plat it didn't.

controller1 Apr 8, 2018 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 29616475)
No David, not for Plat it didn't.

Right. It's a system glitch. When Plat, I was twice offered the opportunity to request upgrades on award tickets.

JeffD Apr 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Can AAgent Manually Upgrade using 500 Mile Upgrades?

Sorry if I missed this somewhere else.

I am traveling with my wife tomorrow. I am Plat, she is Gold. We are in the same record and cleared the first segment on 500 mile upgrades a the 48 hour window but the second did not. This morning I checked EF and saw that there was 1 seat available in C so I called AA figuring I would ask to agent to confirm availability and then split the record so I could be upgraded (read: Wife sits in F) and hopefully a second seat would open at he 24 hour mark for Golds. The agent confirmed availability and split the record as requested, then told me that she could not process the upgrade since 500 mile upgrades could only be processed "automatically by the system" so hopefully it would clear in a few minutes. I had never heard of this. Perhaps I should have HUCA, but I didn't. When I checked about an hour later, no upgrade and C availability was gone. The record was properly split and we are both on waitlisted for an upgrade).

Is the inability of the agent to process the upgrade something new or did I screw myself by not calling back? Not the end of he world, but I would like to know what is supposed to happen. As it stands now, Mrs. JeffD is no longer Plat for upgrade purposes so if I had known this was going to happen I probably would have left it alone. Did I miss something or is this the way it's supposed to work?

rumboj Apr 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by JeffD (Post 29640803)
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else.

I am traveling with my wife tomorrow. I am Plat, she is Gold. We are in the same record and cleared the first segment on 500 mile upgrades a the 48 hour window but the second did not. This morning I checked EF and saw that there was 1 seat available in C so I called AA figuring I would ask to agent to confirm availability and then split the record so I could be upgraded (read: Wife sits in F) and hopefully a second seat would open at he 24 hour mark for Golds. The agent confirmed availability and split the record as requested, then told me that she could not process the upgrade since 500 mile upgrades could only be processed "automatically by the system" so hopefully it would clear in a few minutes. I had never heard of this. Perhaps I should have HUCA, but I didn't. When I checked about an hour later, no upgrade and C availability was gone. The record was properly split and we are both on waitlisted for an upgrade).

Is the inability of the agent to process the upgrade something new or did I screw myself by not calling back? Not the end of he world, but I would like to know what is supposed to happen. As it stands now, Mrs. JeffD is no longer Plat for upgrade purposes so if I had known this was going to happen I probably would have left it alone. Did I miss something or is this the way it's supposed to work?

I might be missing something but I guess I am confused as to why you thought you would have automatically been the next in line to upgrade? Someone with higher status could have ticketed in the intervening period and been next in line to upgrade ahead of you. Someone could have purchased a paid ticket in that premium cabin. Also, it is also common for AA to process upgrades and leave just one seat in the premium cabin for sale. If unsold, it gets taken via upgrades at the gate.

catcher1 Apr 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I have done it by phone.

catcher1 Apr 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by catcher1 (Post 29641140)
I have done it by phone.

Sorry. This was in reply to the question, how does one request that miles for an upgrade come from someone else's account. I have done it by phone to upgrade using my wife's miles.

JeffD Apr 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by rumboj (Post 29640891)

I might be missing something but I guess I am confused as to why you thought you would have automatically been the next in line to upgrade? Someone with higher status could have ticketed in the intervening period and been next in line to upgrade ahead of you. Someone could have purchased a paid ticket in that premium cabin. Also, it is also common for AA to process upgrades and leave just one seat in the premium cabin for sale. If unsold, it gets taken via upgrades at the gate.

I think you missed the point of my question. To me, what you have stated is the obvious. What I am inquiring about is the ability of the agent to immediately confirm a 500 mile upgrade if they show it available (which in this case, the agent confirmed it was) and the passenger is in the appropriate upgrade window. The agent told me she could not, and only the auto-upgrade system could upgrade using stickers. I had never been told that before so my question is whether or not that statement s true.

This was not a case of only one seat being available in J for sale (i.e. J1) and waiting for the gate agent to process an upgrade if the seat remained empty. The seat had already been released for upgrade (C1) within the 48 hours upgrade window If true, then there are multiple reasons why I didn't get the upgrade. If the agent was misinformed I want to know to avoid this problem in the future.

JJeffrey Apr 15, 2018 5:58 am

Originally Posted by JeffD (Post 29641568)
I think you missed the point of my question. To me, what you have stated is the obvious. What I am inquiring about is the ability of the agent to immediately confirm a 500 mile upgrade if they show it available (which in this case, the agent confirmed it was) and the passenger is in the appropriate upgrade window. The agent told me she could not, and only the auto-upgrade system could upgrade using stickers. I had never been told that before so my question is whether or not that statement s true.

This was not a case of only one seat being available in J for sale (i.e. J1) and waiting for the gate agent to process an upgrade if the seat remained empty. The seat had already been released for upgrade (C1) within the 48 hours upgrade window If true, then there are multiple reasons why I didn't get the upgrade. If the agent was misinformed I want to know to avoid this problem in the future.

Domestic 500-mi upgrades need R space, not C. C is the inventory used for miles/copay or SWU upgrades and has nothing to do with your request for 500-mi upgrades.

It's very typical for AA to have C space but no R until right before departure. The AAgent was correct, if the flight was R1, then the system should have automatically processed your upgrade as soon as you split the PNR and went back on the upgrade list as a solo passenger. But in this case there was no R inventory to begin with, hence nothing for the system or AAgent to process.

beachfan Apr 15, 2018 10:56 am

Originally Posted by catcher1 (Post 29641144)
Sorry. This was in reply to the question, how does one request that miles for an upgrade come from someone else's account. I have done it by phone to upgrade using my wife's miles.

miles and copay, yes. 500 Mile segment upgrades, no, if on the same record and one is relying on the higher status of another. It must come out of the persons account whose status is determining the position of the upgrade list.

no2chem Apr 15, 2018 2:02 pm

I haven't followed what the latest update is on this, but I have a BA marketed AA operated flight. Is it possible to request to be added to the upgrade list either (1) over the phone (2) as the airport?

Antarius Apr 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by no2chem (Post 29643510)
I haven't followed what the latest update is on this, but I have a BA marketed AA operated flight. Is it possible to request to be added to the upgrade list either (1) over the phone (2) as the airport?

I do not think it has changed. Flight needs to be AA marketed and Operated to be upgrade eligible

Antarius Apr 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 29642209)
Domestic 500-mi upgrades need R space, not C. C is the inventory used for miles/copay or SWU upgrades and has nothing to do with your request for 500-mi upgrades.

It's very typical for AA to have C space but no R until right before departure. The AAgent was correct, if the flight was R1, then the system should have automatically processed your upgrade as soon as you split the PNR and went back on the upgrade list as a solo passenger. But in this case there was no R inventory to begin with, hence nothing for the system or AAgent to process.

to add, it likely was some confusion that caused this. To my knowledge AA does not release or post R inventory, only C.

so my guess is the Agent thought you were referring to instantly upgrading using SWU/miles+Copay which would have been possible as it was C1 (but likely R0).

catcher1 Apr 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 29643000)

miles and copay, yes. 500 Mile segment upgrades, no, if on the same record and one is relying on the higher status of another. It must come out of the persons account whose status is determining the position of the upgrade list.

You are correct. Miles and copay, and also for award flights. My wife flies far more than I do, and we push for her to remain EXPLAT because sometimes we both reap the benefits. So our strategy is for her to fly on paid tickets while I fly on awards with all the miles she has earned. I have been satisfied with my lifetime PLAT (2 MM), although now I might fly more on paid tickets to reach PLATPRO. Make sense?

tfizzle Apr 15, 2018 9:39 pm

HI there a quick question. I'm Explat this year but won't qualify for next year. When I was platinum, i would earn 500 mile upgrades to use, But as EP, I don't earn them because upgrades are free. What happens when I go back to platinum and don't have any upgrades in my account because they have expired.....

thanks

Antarius Apr 16, 2018 12:01 am

Originally Posted by tfizzle (Post 29644758)
HI there a quick question. I'm Explat this year but won't qualify for next year. When I was platinum, i would earn 500 mile upgrades to use, But as EP, I don't earn them because upgrades are free. What happens when I go back to platinum and don't have any upgrades in my account because they have expired.....

thanks

any 500 mile upgrades you earned prior to being EXP stay in your account. They do not expire.

they are available for use once you drop to PLT or lower. And you will start earning them again too